Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abarnet3_gw

exterior of home

abarnet3
9 years ago

I am considering purchasing this home but really dislike how dated the exterior looks. Any ideas to make it look more appealing?

Comments (9)

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I would die for that porch!! What exactly are your objections? Some landscaping and brightening of the trim would do wonders. I fear this will reignite the shutter debate, but the black and the size are not what I would choose. I fear you will get suggestions to paint the brick. That would be a disappointing loss, IMHO

• sas95
    9 years ago

I like everything except the shutters on the brick, and I would remove them. It's a pretty house.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Wow, great house! I agree with sas95 about the shutters.

I'd take out the tall bushes in front of the porch (or trim them down) and put some shrubs under the short windows, but nothing that would cover them.

• abarnet3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love this reclaimed wood look and wondered how it would look and if this would help the look. I am not crazy about the brick, but not a huge fan of painted brick either.

• sas95
    9 years ago

In my opinion, that look is really not in keeping with the style of the house you are considering.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I love that house. Hold out for a house you can love from the beginning.If you want a craftsman type house you should tell your Realtor that is all you want to see. Adding a craftsman sort of entrance to a ranch style just makes no sense IMO

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Unless this house is in the perfect location, the interior layout is what you are looking for, there is little housing stock available, and you have a healthy budget to turn the exterior into something else, I would pass on this house.

Its a classic low-slung 60s ranch--a bit on the dull side maybe, it's a matter of tastes. If you could be happier with it by painting the trim and/or the brick, landscaping, and other minor cosmetic changes, I think it would be okay--but your inspiration picture is completely different from what this house could be unless you made major architectural changes.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Agree with emmarene and Pal! Changing the exterior is expensive, and it may not even look "right" when you're done; if you don't love it then pass on by. I don't like our exterior, it has not grown on me in 13 years, and it's not worth the money to try and make it the style I would like (it may not even be possible).

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What about beefing up the columns some? Maybe like this, just to give the porch a little more presence? I actually think it's a charming home and with some good landscape changes, maybe a paint color update, it would be great.