Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

Anyone watch Fixer Upper on HGTV?

deegw
9 years ago

Some of the wife's decorating choices are a little trendy but she is awesome about making small structural changes that really transform the houses.

I don't quite understand the budget. They detail the budget for renovations but also seem to spend a fortune on new furniture and accessories and we never hear about that expense. Does she sell the things at cost so she doesn't want to reveal the price? Or is it just a big staging scam to make the renovations look better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fixer Upper

Comments (458)

• User
    7 years ago

Sara, she was probably thinking about that cult leader David Koresh and the "branch davidians." I have to admit that's what I think of when I hear the name Waco.

• lolauren
    7 years ago

kz -- what kbelinko said is what I read -- except the B&B concept just turned into a weekly rental instead of a B&B.... "This stately (albeit neglected) Victorian in McGregor, Texas was one of
    the homes Chip and Joanna had shown to clients Jaime and Kyle Ferguson
    on a home tour. The Fergusons opted for a newer house on a wooded lot,
    but Joanna positively fell in love with this quaint and historic home
    built in 1880 – and with the idea of transforming it into a bed and
    breakfast. " --- So, the couple chose a different home. They just showed them this home, or at least, that's how the episode played out...

kswl -- I was thinking the same thing. I associate Waco with David Koresh.

• iowashrouts
    7 years ago

This is a refreshing family show and I love everything about it! I only have one question- are the tables Jo has made for her clients gifted to the clients or maybe the cost taken from the clients remodel budget?

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Visited the silos a few weeks ago and had a great time. Their market is very well done and the staff is amazing...they seem to genuinely enjoy that you came to shop. The whole thing is family friendly with a play area next to the market offering hula hoops, frisbees, etc for the kids. A bakery will be opening soon as well as a garden shop. At lunch time food trucks were right there with fantastic meals...and not just "run of the meal" lunch food. This couple is smart and savvy and have made a remarkable dynasty from their show. I say good for them!

eta...Waco is a beautiful town to boot.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

Evenshade, thanks so much for that update on the Silos. I love hearing about this kind of thing, since I very much enjoy Chip & Joanna and their show. Heck, I have it on in the background right now. But, gosh, I wish someone would start a new thread, perhaps with pics taken at the Silos, and let this loooong, old thread die a graceful death. I mean no criticism, but would just love a fresh thread that we don't have to wade through (LOL).

• wacokid
    7 years ago
  • Lisa Samson
    7 years ago

I watch that show, but lately all of her kitchens are starting to look alike to me.

• agk2003
    7 years ago
    wow this thread is still going! I still really like the show and the transformations, some more than others. I think it's awesome what they have done for their area of Texas. did anyone see she has a new rug like with loloi rugs?
  • Ellie RK
    7 years ago

I also think it's wonderful what they did for Waco ,Texas. Prior to the show, it was known for Dave Karesh. They've definitely helped people forget.

• Lyn Samantha
    7 years ago

They never show the clients who don't like their work. What happens with those clients? What happens if a client say absolutely no ship lap and no shabby chic fixtures?

• lolauren
    7 years ago

I imagine if a client didn't like ship lap or shabby chic, they would choose a different designer.

• orlsucks
    7 years ago

I watched the show called active babyboomer seek sancuary near nature. What a disappointment this show is.

They find a run down 20's house for $35,000, Reading that the show is staged to show 3 homes is a scam in itself as they already know the one that was purchased. I can live with that but its a half hour of bs

Beyond that the show states they have a budget $65k, even with the host and labor at $0 there is no way they stay in budget. They didnt address the fact that there is no insulation at all in attic, old electric with no wiring, no hvac, old plumbing, new appliances, cabinets, most likely lead in paint, bad roof even many tree removal etc etc. Pathetic to try and trick your audience to think this could be done for $65k. Even in the beginning they make an estimate for a fan costing $650 for a fan

Then they stage the crap out of the place at no cost. Between this and the brother show, two of the worse.

• numa1
    7 years ago

I really enjoy the show, but have a problem with such "open concepts". With so much hardwood and no walls, those houses can not have any privacy whatsoever! You would be able to hear everyone everywhere! Walls are highly underrated on this show.

• ilovegreg
    7 years ago

I like the show but was very disappointed to find out all the staging is gone when he cameras leave. So why is Joanna spending so much time at the end fluffing pillows...

• Ksenya Zavarin
    7 years ago

I'm done watching the show. like someone said above, it's becoming repetitive. it seems chip and Joanna can't visualize beyond shabby chic. I've wondered what happens to all the stuff they use for staging? do they sell it? store it? what about the personalized engravings and stencils they hang for the new owner? not all of it can be recycled. the last straw was pricing - they set an unrealistically low budget for the remodel, yet they quote a ridiculously high fee to update switch boxes or lighting.

• arcy_gw
    7 years ago

Here in lies my issue with "designers". A good one can glean what they need from a customer and then create a space that is more about the customer than the designer. When you can look at a flip book of rooms and know who designed them..then it is about the designer and their agenda. Unless they pay for it too..it is a fail IMHO.

• Ksenya Zavarin
    7 years ago

Excellent perspective! It was fun the first few seasons, then people wise up and realize that some HGTV hosts are a one trick pony.

• anilam7
    7 years ago

I am definitely hooked on watching the show, not because I enjoy their design sensibility so much but because I find him amusing and that there is something genuine about them; something authentic that is hard to fake, and especially rare on reality TV. The two of them seem relaxed being on TV plus I think they are entertaining and THAT is really hard to do without writers and good scripts, etc. I'm sure there are viewers that enjoy the look of all these houses but I find that part very formulaic as many have said. I think they have transcended the design part, the concept of that part of the show even, with that magical "it" factor. That he be sais quoi star quality or whatever you want to call it that makes them good entertainment.

• anilam7
    7 years ago

One more thing..... I just read that DIY is doing a spin-off with Clint Harp, the table making guy. That to me also a good call as he seems to have a witty, relaxed very likable quality about him that will probably make that show enjoyable to watch as well.

• rebeccamomof123
    7 years ago

I've watched the show since it first came out and love her style, albeit, totally predictable. They really are so likable, that I find myself looking for holes to poke (I think to myself, maybe in real life she's a PIA to work with, etc.) but reading the above post from Kbelinko has restored my faith in them and in the good that is real in all of us! Wonderful to see that they have made such efforts to make your sister Jan's visit extra-special, as it should be! I'll be thinking positive thoughts for her! When is the trip? What a special time for you all that will be!

• wacokid
    7 years ago

Season 4 premier is tonight. http://waitwith.us/fixer-upper-season-4-5660/

• designsaavy
    7 years ago

I don't have cable anymore, so won't be able to enjoy it. :-(

• Anne
    7 years ago

kbelinIko, I hope your sister gets her visit. Oddly enough I think I know you. I from the 88 YL group. Hope all is well.

Will try again to message you. Hope you and J are doing well.

• MDV
    7 years ago

Ehh. it gets old and annoying after a while. Everything has the same creamy, woody, soft, neutral predictable look about it.

• jaybirdtx
    7 years ago

Don't believe everything you see on TV....this is a sham from the getgo!

Read some of the reviews of people whose homes they have finagled.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

I watch it (on YouTube and in doctor's offices). I like Chip and Joanne, but I don't like her decorating style --- just not me, especially with broadcasting slogans on walls. Or the same-same of colors and style from home to home. But it remains fun to watch. I simply don't plan to do anything she's suggesting. And especially not that full throttle open floor plan idea that seems to have HGTV in a stranglehold (I'm preferring semi-open -- more space for upper cabs and for decor -- I am tall and hate stooping...)

• straitlover
    7 years ago

artemis, LOL on the open floor plan thing! I was watching that new show w/ Matt lLBlanc (Man with a Plan???) the other night. They were all in the kitchen, and he needed to talk to the wife privately, so he sent the kids to the pantry and yelled, this is why open plans don't work!!! :)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I couldn't resist clicking on a thread that had 400+ replies. And I just wasted an hour reading most of them. :)

I have watched the C/J show a few times and I am surprised, judging from comments above by people who live in Texas, that Chip and Joanna are real married people with a real family and a real home design business. I guess I'm a cynic about home improvement shows. I thought there was an 85% chance the whole thing was fake.

Chip seems to be a Tim-the-Tool-Man bumbler and Joanna is singlehandedly trying to carry the show on her minimal talents. And the kids? Give me a break. This isn't The Partridge Family - I want to see home remodeling and decorating, not kids. Obviously, I'm not a fan.

I don't like Property Brothers, either. Too much self-conscious mugging for the camera and their clothes are too tight. Just because you CAN fit into 30" waist slacks doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I don't know the name of the Tarek and Christina show. The prices they pay for broken down falling-in properties are incomprehensible to me. $400K for a two bedroom one bath on a small bare-dirt corner lot? In my town it might sell for $20K. It's hard for me to relate, watching them sink $65K into remodeling and then sell it for $550K. Are they in California? I guess I haven't watched enough to know.

OK that's my 2 cents. Flame away.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Flip Flop? yeah, they are in California..:) pretty close to where I live too. they choose properties a bit more inland though..inland is cheaper.

I never watched past first season since it's the only one available through Netflix. I like mostly the fact that the episodes are really short lol. It's convenient.

Fixer Upper..they're both likable. But I don't know..I started being extremely bored very soon. I watched though, until Chip ate some sort of an insect...a cockroach? I couldn't get past it. I'm really afraid of cockroaches too.

I guess I'm also not very curious person..for example I don't really care how things are going on Magnolia Farm or something..

There was couple of shows I liked more than others. One was about buying and remodeling, but each episode featured another realtor, another architect, another builder..less predictable, more natural and fun to watch.

Another show I liked strictly for where it was..I believe it was Vancouver. I think it was a first show I watched not to see the homes, but the nature surrounding them..:)

Also, just one season of each..they're slow to add seasons, on Netflix.

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

littlebug zone 5 Missouri

"$400K for a two bedroom one bath on a small bare-dirt corner lot? In my town it might sell for $20K. "

It's definitely all relative. 400k won't get you a decent studio apartment in Manhattan. Well it might, but it would be under 500sq, and not in the best neighborhood.

The renovation prices on all these shows are always extremely low for all the work that's done. In the real world, it would cost more than double. I think that's what annoys me the most, the unreal prices for renos.

• User
    7 years ago

Yes, Aprilneverends, I'll watch the last 5 minutes of reveal because I personally like her style and appreciate the before/after. But, my goodness, to suffer through the first 55 minutes... I just can't.

• User
    7 years ago

The renovation prices on all these shows are always extremely low for all the work that's done. In the real world, it would cost more than double. I think that's what annoys me the most, the unreal prices for renos.

Ellie, I think tradespeople are feeling this when they're providing realistic quotes for their work that are met with surprises about how costly they seem. I know a tile installer who drops a few f-bombs at the very mention of HGTV.

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Ellie you're so right.

But also take into account-it's their business, they're flippers..they're doing bunch of projects, probably simultaneously as well, same contractors..it's much cheaper for them that would be, say, for a single client who doesn't bring so many projects to this contractor in one year. I think they also don't include everything they spend-HGTV is usually covering some of the costs, either labor, or some materials..I'd be very surprised this show is different from all the others, in that regard.

I wrote somewhere already-our project manager(a great guy btw) was on some HGTV show at some point, as a part of the building/remodeling team-told me it's all scripted and is a joke and not to believe anything..:) I didn't ask what show it was..Maybe some shows are more real than others. I saw Tarek on some local forum..there was a discussion about their show, so he probably saw it, came and started answering people's questions etc. In great detail. I found it a little bit impressive..he did seem very passionate about this flipping thing..

• Ellie RK
    7 years ago

Tarek and his wife (can't remember her name) do seminars all over the country apparently. I got a invite (no idea why) to one of them here. So yeah, it's definitely a business for them and they'll still be flipping long after their show gets cancelled.

Still, anyone who hasn't done a major reno. thinks the prices on all these shows is the norm. I only wish that were true..lol..

• ilovegreg
    7 years ago

They are over saturating themselves.

• Marilyn Knudsen
    7 years ago

For me this show is the best of the current HGTV lineup. Unlike other comments, I enjoy the playful banter between Jo and Chip, intertwined with a seriousness about the job at hand. There are times he gets a little too silly, but it's part of the show. There's far more to like than not. I happen to love Joanna's style, a marriage of modern, clean lines and rustic charm and was blown away to see (Magnolia Farms website) that she has a communications degree rather than a design degree. Apparently she picked up a lot of design ideas while interning in NYC. I'd sure like to know where she purchases the bath and kitchen cabinetry and countertops since Waco is quite small, although only a 90 minute drive to Dallas (at least when drove it--probably too fast). It would be nice if they could source the products they use so that other homeowners could emulate some of the beautiful things they do. Wish I had their talents--and line of work!

• sandywys
    6 years ago

I don't understand how the budget works. Say during the demolition they found a serious problem that will need e.g $2000 to fix. They call the couple and tell them about the additional cost. And then when Joanna shows the couple her design plan and ideas, there is always a couple of thousand dollars extra in the budget and she would show the couple 3 options how to use the money. Why not use those extra monies to fix the new found issue that needs fixing? Why must the couple choose one option to spend the remaining of the budget and top up extra money to fix underlying issues?

• deegw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think it is a bonus for the homeowners that is independent of the budget. The decision is always a part of the show so I can't see them deleting it so the homeowner can move the a/c return. I see your point. But, it's reality TV so we shouldn't think too hard about it :)

• kroer2016
    6 years ago

I'm thinking that the furniture and accessories is available for purchase by the homeowners, but it really is just for staging. I agree about the budget. It always ends up that they misquote because they conveniently find something major wrong. I would never agree to such a purchase without a home inspection and knowing ALL the details possible up front.

• User
    6 years ago

kroer2016

I'm
    thinking that the furniture and accessories is available for purchase
    by the homeowners, but it really is just for staging. I agree about the
    budget. It always ends up that they misquote because they conveniently
    find something major wrong. I would never agree to such a purchase
    without a home inspection and knowing ALL the details possible up front.

Yes, the finished hse is staged for the show and HO's can purchase the items if they chose.

If Jo commissions something from a vendor like Clint, that is a gift from FU

Curious, other than a piece of furniture, does anybody know what the HO's appearing on the show get financially?

On HH Reno, they get $25,000 towards the reno.

I'll bet dollars to donuts the home has been inspected and any issues that come up are reality show drama.

As an aside - do you notice how often they say 'You know'?

• designsaavy
    6 years ago

Maybe the owners of the shotgun house, who never moved in, bought it as an investment knowing the area it's in brings alot of visitors.

Seems they're getting alot of money for it as a bed and breakfast. I don't suspect that will last forever, so they're trying to sell instead of riding it out. The price tag is crazy.

Good for the Gaines family taking a well known fixture of the town and turning it into another restaurant that will hopefully bring good food to the area.

• User
    6 years ago

We comment all the time on the homes that are fixed up (Property Brothers, Fixer Upper, etc.) about the inspection. WHY didn't they find that leak, the rotted floor joists, etc. I will say that there was one episode where the couple already owned the house (grandpa's house, I believe) and I can understand finding problems there for there was no inspection and I also can understand having to move an HVAC because Jo wants to move a wall and that is extra money. But I agree -- most of those "oops, we need to fix this more $$ is for drama and is not really real.

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There's a discussion on the Conversations side of this forum about the "shotgun" house. That asking price is delusional.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

I will say that there was one episode where the couple already owned the house (grandpa's house, I believe)

I think on all these shows the people already own the house. It's reality tv, just like House Hunters, which is also fake that way, always has been.

• orlsucks
    6 years ago

Fixer upper, property brothers, flip or flop vegas don' t like them at al. I do like flip or flop original, property virgins, zombie, and the vegas guy with the gun and wife.

I really dispise turning on the channel and seeing Jo and husband there. Basically coming up with a plan to spend every dime a customer has from day one, so Jo and husband make a fortune. Then going over budget with big ticket items that should have been caught prior. Also showing their family life is a big drag.

Also need to stop showing demo on all of these shows could care less about demo. I want more learning content. And realistic prices for services and goods. Show more flips that fail and stop showing almost all successes.

• Janie
    6 years ago

I don't watch a lot of HGTV - but - I find it entertainment and don't feel like they're trying to trick me into thinking its all "real". For me they're fun to watch and I'm entertained.

• IdaClaire
    6 years ago

Yeah ... that's not happening. Bizarre spam reported.

• wikifamous connect
    5 years ago

U KNow, Sometime in April, a lawsuit created after a scandal in which Chip’s former Magnolia Real Estate partner sued him for $1M.

She dismissed the rumors by saying that you can’t believe everything you read.

Joanna Gaines Scandal