Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone watch Fixer Upper on HGTV?

Posted by deee (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 13:05

Some of the wife's decorating choices are a little trendy but she is awesome about making small structural changes that really transform the houses.

I don't quite understand the budget. They detail the budget for renovations but also seem to spend a fortune on new furniture and accessories and we never hear about that expense. Does she sell the things at cost so she doesn't want to reveal the price? Or is it just a big staging scam to make the renovations look better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fixer Upper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone watch Fixer Upper on HGTV?

Its a staging scam. After the pictures and video, the staged stuff comes out and the homeowners' real furniture goes in. That is the only explanation that makes sense, because the homeowners have not budgeted any money for accessories and furniture. The lighting fixtures and that sort of thing stay, but the artwork and everything else---sort of Pottery Barn Farm style--- is recycled.

o

From their web~
“Where do you get all the furniture and accessories you decorate these homes with?”

Many of the products I use come directly from Magnolia Market, my boutique located in Waco, TX. I use a lot of my faux florals, vases, and architectural pieces (you can find many of these items in my online store here). I like to incorporate pieces that the homeowner already has when I can. In a few cases for season one, the clients were in need of all new furnishings. One of the things that is hard for many homeowners is furniture placement and figuring out how to maximize their space. This is one of the main reasons I enjoy decorating these homes for the big reveal; I want to offer pretty and practical ideas for my client. Most of the items that are not theirs to begin with, are available to the client at the end of the project.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://magnoliahomes.net/

o

It must be so distressing to see the house all gorgeous and then have to give all the stuff back because you can't afford it.
BTW- I looked at her site. Are these metal like things one of a kind? Or is she having the items made?

o

I love them! She has a great eye and he is very good at what he does. I really enjoy the show and the reveals. They are very down to earth people. Many of the items are one of a kind or difficult to find antique items. Lots of stuff is really parts from the farms. In the rural areas of Texas and Louisiana you can come across some really neat items from old farm machines that get repurposed.
I would let them do a house for me any time. In this part of the country those styles are very popular.

o

I was on board until the show became too formulaic, which didn't take long. That, and the scene where Chip asked which one of his kids had "tooted." I'll pass on the unnecessary toilet humor, thank you.

However, nonetheless, I appreciate their style and workmanship, so it's been moved to the list of shows for which I'll watch the last 5 minutes of reveal.

o

Nice couple and the houses look nice...but they are a one note samba. Each reveal looks the same...the rustic, antiquey farm house look...just like their home and store. I watched two shows today and in both...kitchen cabs were painted white, white subway tiles with gray grout for the splash, cup pulls on the drawers.....exactly what she has in her kitchen!

If the show was called Farm House Style Fixer Upper it would make more sense. It seems she only has talent in putting together one specific style.

o

I just think they are sweet to each other. You don't see that much on TV any more.

o

joanie - I agree that most of her decorating looks the same. She does have a talent for envisioning small but significant structural changes. It would be nice to see a mid point before and after segment. After they do the renovations but before she adds the furniture and accessories.

o

There's definitely a sameness to it all. But it happens to be a style I like, so I can watch 2 in a row and still wish they could redo my house! And everyone seems to be nice - no artificial fights or crises over things that should have been obvious from the get-go.

o

Yes, she seems to decorate the homes pretty much in the same style. I think the changes they make to the houses are pretty cool. It does get old after watching five plus shows. But, saying all of that…. they can come to my house anytime!!!

o

I watched an episode where she acknowledged that she has a "style". It was the one with the two doctors. She brought them out to the farm and the guy was all -this is not for me. If I remember right, the finished product was still farmhouse-y but with a little less grunge than usual. I enjoy watching this show, toots and all.

o

I agree that there is a niceness to this show you don't see in some of them. But Sarah Richardson and her witty assistant were still better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here