Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nic2011

Is this possible ceiling vents to be painted?

nic2011
10 years ago

Hello hope everyone is having a great day so far! I wanted to ask you all a quick question. Is it possible to have painters paint our vents, recessed lighting cans and speakers in ceiling the same color as our ceiling? I want to throw up when I see that stark white on vents etc...We are in final touches on our custom build but is it even possible? I did post on the paint forum as well but wanted to try to get answers because these painters are painting should be completed by Monday. Our ceilings throughout home is SW Alabaster but in our kitchen ceilings are Accessible beige in coffer ceiling and master is in BM Icicle (excited because master bedroom and bath and closet is BM Gray Mirage (rec from here) so any ideas? If so what paint is used a special paint?

Thks
Nic

Comments (7)

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

yep. I've painted them all! I've even painted the darn glass break sensors on the walls.

• nic2011
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok so do I need to have these painted in a semigloss rather than flat? I just want it to blend well. I was wondering if it would flake off since the vents will get cooler and hotter? All I know is the painter is using flat paint on ceilings but if it needs to be in another finish ill need to go purchase so that he can paint and install ha ill post pics next week my oldest dd 23 is coming to see the new house she can take pics with her iPhone and upload for me this tech stuff is way over my head! Thks so much!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I've painted the vents, but used the same flat or eggshell as the walls or ceiling. I wouldn't buy a different sheen paint if you want them to blend in. Do prime them first to get good adhesion. Something like KILZ (water based formula is fine), Bullseye or Zinzer 1-2-3 -- something designed to go over metal and oil based or enamel paints -- your painter probably has one of them out you can buy a small can, possibly a spray can.

This post was edited by lascatx on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 17:39

• chispa
    10 years ago

I've also painted them all! Actually have a can of paint spray that was tinted to match my walls waiting to be used. It will be easier to spray the vent covers instead of using a paint brush. It works better to do several very light coats, specially for the perforated speaker grills.

True Value Hardware stores that carry BM paint have a machine that will mix up any BM color into a spray paint can.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I painted my vents the same flat paint as used on the walls, but sprayed a primer onto the vents before painting.

• nic2011
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG thanks everyone Im so on the phone right now telling this painter this HA! I did tell him he will need to prime and he told me well.. and before he got the next word out, I said I know it can be done and I would like it done thank you and he said ok.. BUT our speakers were installed last week they aren't sooo bad but would prefer them to be done hmmm Im going to ride over to the house and see what can be done about that, again thanks so much and I have stressed badly over this urghhh so glad it can and WILL be done I did tell him he needs to prime them and paint and said sure.. He did not think or doesn't feel comfortable doing the speakers I think because of the tiny holes in speaker but why couldn't he just cover that part and paint the outside can?

Thanks again
    Nic