Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shine_2009

Anyone have a skirted table in living room?

shine_2009
14 years ago

I know they are not popular, eventhough some designers still use them. I decided to have one in the corner of my living room with family pics. I don´t have wall space for them, and I like it more this way. I would love to see others so I can have a better idea on how to accesorize it, since I would like to add other items as well. Thanks!!

Comments (21)

• socks
    14 years ago

I think they are very pretty and have admired them for years because you can get such pretty cloths and change them periodically. I've never gotten one though. Go for it.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I have in the past had a skirted table in the LR but now only have one in my BR. I love skirted tables, they add a softness and can add more interest sometimes than a wood table (with the right cloth). I'm not sure they are not popular altho if so it may be because custom is the way to a nice tablecloth and that may be expensive. If you sew you can make your own fairly inexpensively.

A quick search found these links - some show rooms other than LR's but it's the same idea.

http://www.cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2008/01/skirted-tables.html

http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2009/04/guestroom-makeover-cote-de-texas.html

http://discountdesignerfabrics.blogspot.com/2008/10/round-tablecloths.html

http://www.traditionalhome.com/design_decorating/howwelive/secondverse_ss4.html

Here is a link that might be useful: skirted table

• oceanna
    14 years ago

I had one in my last home, no pictures, sorry. But have you looked through the living rooms and cottage decor threads in our gallery? I'm sure there are some in there.

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Hi shine 2009, I use to have one in the LR but it got moved to the foyer. Mine is a no sew project learned from a place in Canton, Ms. They take 3 0r 4 yds. of taffeta & scrunch it at the botton to give a ruched effect. It stays as the fabric holds the scrunching. Takes about 5 minutes to get the whole thing done to your liking. Here is my skirted table in the foyer.......hope this helps! Bonnie

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

is the fabric cut into a circular shape too? or is it just the yardaged draped and scrunched at the bottom? very pretty.

• natureperson
    14 years ago

Although I don't have a pic to show you, I'm in the process of putting a skirted table in my living room. It is 30 inches in diameter and will serve as a corner end table between my sofa and chair. Currently I'm looking for fabric to cover it with.

Bonniee, I like the way you scrunched yours.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I was hoping you shared your Bonnie.
    ~Becky

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Thanks Becky,natureperson & cooperbailey for your sweet notes & kind compliments on the foyer table. :)
    cooperbailey, it isn't cut at all, just yardage over the table....but I do have a quilt over the table first to give the skirt a fuller look. That is a trick a decorator friend on another board taught me. It makes the table cloth look more substantial. If you remember how you use to scrunch your hair back in the 80's when perms were the rage, the same thing thing is done at the bottom of the fabric. Just grab the fabric & start scrunching all the way around & it will take its shape in the form of a circle. Hope this helps.........Bonnie

• shine_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just got back!! thanks everyone for your comments and ideas. I checked the links, luckygal, and they were very helpful.One of the links you mentioned, cotedetexas, was precisely where I got the inspiration to have the skirted table. Bonniee, that table looks really gorgeous. Oceanna, I would love to have a link to the threads, don´t really know where to look for those. Thanks everyone!! hope to see more pics!!

• dayenu
    14 years ago

i have one, always have and my cat loves hiding under it. go for it!!

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

Hi Shine!

Yes! I have one in my living room inspired by a picture posted on this forum ;-) The full skirt is made of burlap with jute fringe (Ballard) and I made the no-sew topper. I will try to post both inspiration pic and what I ended up with tomorrow.

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

I don't know why you say they aren't popular. I see them in magazines all the time.

Bonniee - yours is really pretty. I love the scrunching thing.

Here's mine, which is also in the foyer. I'm looking forward to changing the topper and decor items seasonally:

{{!gwi}}

• enailes
    14 years ago

I could cry...the skirts posted are sooo pretty. I wanted to have a blue/grey poofed skirt in my LR as well. I placed an order on moire fabric but the store stopped carrying the fabric I wanted and so I switched to something else at the designer's guidance. She also added additional fabric to my measurements and talked me into a rather large rounded hem at the bottom and it looks awful. The skirt just dwarfs my table. No way my skirt can poof now either. I had used this place before for my window treatments and to recover a chair and they did a wonder job. My table skirt which cost me quite a bit is now being used as a throw on a bed. I wish I had stopped the order when she told me they discontinued the fabric.

• User
    14 years ago

I like them.

Bonniee - Droooool. I love that and love looking at pics of your home. Very nice. Thanks for the tidbit on how you did it also!

Artlover - I really like yours as well. Love how the chair and the topper coordinate!

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Though it was custom made with silk fabric, mine looks rather humble & homely compared to those above, but here it is:

{{!gwi}}

• riverrat1
    14 years ago

I know what you mean stinky, Mine are custom made also and I think I could do a whole lot better. Although I do love your table and location.

I have two skirted tables, one in my foyer and one in a guest bedroom.

GUEST BEDROOM

{{!gwi}}

FOYER TABLE

{{!gwi}}

• angelcub
    14 years ago

I like them, too, and don't think they're outdated. It all depends on your personal decorating style. Maybe if you're into MCM or the PB look, they would look odd, but not in a traditional or casual/cottage style home.

I recently caught an Oprah show where she was being interviewed in her home (or one of them - ha) and next to the sofa she was sitting on was a beautiful skirted table with a topper. I love that look, especially when it coordinates with all the other fabrics in the room. The sofa was a melon tending toward pink color and the table fabrics coordinated perfectly with it. And of course she looked marvelous with that color as a backdrop.

I have two of the large round tables with glass toppers. I think they're 30" across. I use one on my front porch and one is in the entry. I change the topper out seasonally, as I do the quilt hanging on one of the walls. I'd post a pic but I have a chandelier sitting on it right now, waiting to be hung, so it doesn't look so good. lol

Bonnie, love your table! What a pretty home you have. : )

• greenthumbfish
    14 years ago

OK, found the inspiration pics... they are the first 3. The last 2 are of mine, the only thing left is replacing the lamp, the one I have isn't working.
    HTH

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

One mistake I made on mine was making the topper too small. The table is 30X30. I made a 45" square topper. In the future I'll buy 1 1/2 yd of fabric and make the topper 54" square.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

love all of those! wish I had a foyer- I love a circular table in a foyer! Great idea putting a quilt underneath for fullness.
    Enailes- Perhaps you can take out the hem, press and then scrunch!

• enailes
    14 years ago

CooperBailey, Thank you that's a great idea! I'm so upset with myself that I allowed the shop owner to design a skirt style without listening to what I wanted. I had asked her to sew the poofs into the skirt by gathering the material every 1-2 inches and she looked at me like I had two heads.