Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justgotabme

Since we're the on the subjects of bed sizes....

justgotabme
9 years ago

Hubby and I are in need of a new bed. We looked at memory foam this past weekend. Tempur-pedic and Serta iComfort where the top runners. Pretty much neck and neck when laying on them.
The sales lady was very informed about all the brands they carried, not pushy at all, explaining the differences and similarities between the brands. She used memory foam pillows to give a quick feel of the differences in "pound" comfort.
In the end, we walked away to think about it more. We knew which felt the most comfortable to us both, but we couldn't decide whether or not go with a queen standard or a king dual motion set.

So the questions are:
1. What do you think about motion beds?
2. Are they worth the extra money?
3. If you have a motion bed, do you use the motion often and does it help you get a better nights sleep?
Money is not an issue. Though I am frugal and refuse to spend money on something that won't be used or worth the cost, I feel very strongly about needing a good nights rest being well worth the extra cost.

Comments (41)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If money isn't an issue, get a natural latex mattress. Stay away from memory foam. It's HOT.

Otherwise, go with an independent manufacturer who makes mattresses themselves and stay away from the bran names like Sealy, Stearns & Foster, etc.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My Mom got a motion bed last fall, and she loves it. She has COPD, and sleeping with her head slightly elevated makes it easier to breathe. She also reads in bed, so elevating her head is convenient. My physical therapist recommends sleeping on your back, which is easier to do if you slightly elevate your head and knees.

So there are definite advantages to an adjustable bed. Whether or not it's worth the price is entirely up to you!

DH and I have a king, which gives us room for both of us (he's 6'4", and takes up a lot of room), and a dog sleeping at our feet. When the three of us sleep in a queen bed, it's pretty cozy. If you have room for a king, I say go for it (adjustable or not).

• homersmom
    9 years ago

We had a natural latex and will never buy another. It developed depressions in it that wouldn't disappear even though we rotated it fairly frequently. I ended up having to buy a topper after one year of wear.

This post was edited by homersmom on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 13:57

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Not to hijack the thread but if you are allergic to latex, do you have a problem with latex mattresses? They are encased so you aren't really in contact with the latex and most latex allergies are contact related. (Although they can be severe, all the way to anaphylaxis.)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Do you sleep comfortably with a single mattress now? If one of you is a restless sleeper, having a split bed helps keep the movements of one from disturbing the other. I don't read or watch TV in bed, but I know that some do and being able to raise the bed would make those activities more comfortable. If you do buy a split motion bed, you'll need new fitted sheets.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I did some research this morning before posting my questions and looked into latex. I didn't like the idea of possible depressions, homersmom mentioned. They don't seem to be as firm as memory foam is by the pillows we've had in the past either. We both need good support.
    annkh, thanks for the info about your Mom liking her adjustable bed. We both read in bed too and I'm sure we'd completely enjoy that aspect of them.
    I used to sleep on my back all the time and have been working on training myself to do so again since I've injured my right arm, the side I started sleeping when pregnant over three decades ago. When hubby's not home I place pillows on either side of me to discourage myself from rolling over and so far it's working and I'm feeling so much better. I also put a couple small pillows under my knees. I'm sleeping so much better this way.
    Pal that is a very interesting question.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fun2BHere, we were typing at the same time. We currently have a less expensive memory foam bed with high quality topper. The main problem is it's all resting on top of our old, standard, mattress and box springs.
    We have a queen now with no trouble waking each other up from movement of the other. Never have even when we using the standard bed, or ages ago our full motion or batted low motion waterbeds. There are times I wish we never got rid of our batted low motion water bed. We both slept very well, but hubby grew tired of having a water bed. We bought a mid priced standard mattress that we never really cared for.

Another thing that I'm not sure about an adjustable bed is the size. We like being close and a king size is just too big! It'll fit in our room easily, but we like to snuggle and having two mattresses may not be that great.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Latex is definitely softer than memory foam, but memory foam is very hot.

There is latex and then there is natural latex. Natural latex should not form depressions. have two Natura natural latex pillows, and they are like the day I got them. However, it IS softer than it sounds like what you want.

Otherwise, I'd look at hand-made mattresses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soaring heart Mattress Pad

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I have serious back problems and splurged on a very expensive king size latex mattress with 2 x-long twin adjustable/motion foundations. This mattress was raved about by several friends and well reviewed online. I was afraid to get the tempurpedic because everyone warned me the memory foam is hot and I live in FL.The latex mattress felt great in the store, but after several months DH and I both starting getting sore backs.

That mattress was probably the most costly mistake I've ever made. Not only was the latex hard on our backs, but the adjustable/motion feature was relatively useless with the king mattress. It just doesn't work when you want to sit up and read and DH wants to lay prone and sleep.

We ended up giving the latex mattress to someone much younger, and buying 2 cheaper S&F twin XL mattresses because DH and I just don't like the same mattresses and I wanted to be able to use the adjustable features more. I'm still not happy with my mattress, but now at least I can use the adjustable/motion features without disturbing DH. I don't use the motion that often, but it does help relax me sometimes. I mainly use to elevate my head and/or feet.

I recently slept on a tempurpedic for 4 nights while on vacation and it was the best sleep I've ever had and wasn't at all hot. I'm definitely going that route for the next mattress.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, pretty much all memory foam mattresses come with a cooling top layer now. It's amazing how cool it feels to the touch compared to touching just the memory foam. Being that we've had a quality memory foam topper for some time now with no problems with heat, I'd say we'll be fine.
    My biggest worry is if you want the full warranty (after one month of use you have 11 months for a full refund if you don't like the bed for any reason) from the furniture mart, is you have to buy and use a special waterproof mattress pad. They're expensive, but again, worth it if you wind up not liking the bed. The problem is they can make a big difference in the support the mattress gives. They take away 25% of the form fitting ability of the mattress. That alone could keep us from liking the mattress! I'm doing much of my at home research at the link below.

peacamp, thank you for your views. You made me realize that hubby and I too have slept on a Tempur-pedic mattress while at a hotel a couple months ago. I'm guessing that's what got him talking about wanting one. We both talked about how well we slept at the time, but it took him until a week ago to mention he'd been researching them and decided we needed one at home.

Here is a link that might be useful: sleeplikethedead

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I should probably add that I have a lot of nerve pain in one leg and that may be why the latex didn't work for me (although DH didn't like it either). With the tempurpedic I didn't feel any pressure points on the leg or back, which seems to be a great help for my sensitive nerves.

And by the way, even though I don't use the motion features that often, they are awfully nice when I do use them. And the kitties absolutely love the vibration, so sometimes I turn it on just for them.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Sterns and Foster Beautyrest Black. Less than 3 yrs old. Junk. I think I paid close to 3K. Sleeps like a hammock.

Before that Serta Latex Spring Free. Also expensive. Junk. Lasted less than 5 yrs. before we were unable to sleep on it.

Our lake house has a 10 yr old mattress that I purchased after our fire that I paid less than 1K for and after sleeping on it recently for 10 nights my back felt great. It is a plain old fashioned innerspring mattress. I could even sleep on my left side with a rotator cuff issue in my shoulder which I can't do at home.

I am convinced that we are better off buying inexpensive innerspring mattresses and replacing them every few yrs, since they seem to need replacement no matter what.

I really hate the mattress industry. And shopping for mattresses.

We sleep on a King, btw.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

agree w/ red lover. The mattress industry has joined the ranks of sleazy, deceptive, manipulative, hard-sell, bells-&-whistles to hide that crappy quality industries.

You have to go either very simple, a basic innerspring and then maybe put a wool or cotton mattress topper on top of that, OR go VERY high and get a hand-made/custom-made mattress.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'm more confused now than I was before I asked the questions. LOL
    I've been convinced for awhile that most everything is hype you hear from manufactures of almost anything! I'm not now, nor have I ever been one to buy something because of the name brand. Yes, there are brands that are better made with higher quality materials than others, but often you can find something comparable for far less money. Those fancy labels must cost an awful lot of money, ya think?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

DH and I bought a Costco Novaform 14" Serafina mattress. It is highly rated by Consumer Reports, plus Costco has a generous return policy (1 year). It does not sleep hot at all - something I was concerned about. We bought the standard mattress, but it comes with an adjustable base, too.

FWIW, Consumer Reports found that people who spent at least 15 minutes lying on each mattress they were considering in the store were more satisfied with their purchase.

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco Novaform Serafina adjustable bed

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Why do you think they stopped making flippable mattresses (for the most part)? More profit and shorter wear.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bbstx, but it doesn't give the "pound" weight of each of the foams. We have a Costco, but don't belong. Do they have them on display for one to test drive, so to speak?
    As busy as the store was we looked at beds at, it would be almost impossible, or rather rude, to lay on any given bed for fifteen minutes, but that certainly makes sense.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I've been mattress shopping for longer than I like to admit. So confusing, and I don't want to get suckered into buying a lemon. I ruled out any foam mattress because I don't like the soft edges. It's hard to lift yourself out and that becomes more of an issue as you age.

The May 2013 issue of Consumer Reports rates Temper-pedic as the best Memory Foam mattress and Serta iComfort Sleep System Genius (what a name!) as number 4.

If you are not already on info overload, here's some more.

Here is a link that might be useful: mattress underground

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Just, two years ago I bought the Tempur-pedic Cloud Luxe with motion. I went from waking in the morning feeling as though I was run over by a truck to sleeping the whole night through and waking in the same position I went to sleep in. I can honestly say I haven't had a bad night's sleep since getting my TCL. It is the best money I have ever spent in regards to a mattress.

I was concerned about the TCL sleeping "hot" because I get overheated quickly but I don't find my mattress to sleep hot at all.

WTBS, I don't use the motion part at all. I did for the first few weeks but it disturbed my pupster when I lowered the head of my bed so I just prop myself up to read. If you enjoy reading in bed and you and DH are ready for lights off at the same time you will love the motion aspect. I really should start using it again and let my KoKo get used to the sound.

One thing I am certain of is that I will never own a mattress other than a Tempur-pedic again.

• jshore
    9 years ago

I am another happy Tempurpedic owner. Ours is probably at least 10 years old, and I still love it every night when I climb into it. I haven't found it to be hot. The only thing I don't like about it is that it looks like a slab to me, which I think they have improved since we purchased ours. If I bought a new one, I think I would get a split adjustable as my husband likes to sleep with his head elevated, and I don't.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ultimately, the problem with buying beds is that it is such a matter of personal taste.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow dedtired, if I wasn't before, I am now on information overload! They sure are wordy on that site you linked. I not only read allot, but I did some searching more about materials mentioned there. Hubby and I will both be reading more there and on the link I posted above too. You might want to check it out as it used charts which helped comparing mattresses.
    I certainly liked the price of the iComfort over the Tempur-pedic and neither of us could tell the difference. We even went back and forth a couple times and if there was any difference it was so minimal would couldn't detect it.
    Holly-Kay, I've been waking only once just by sleeping on my back in the middle of the bed while hubby is gone and waking in the morning feeling so much better too. The problem there is that three nights a week I share the bed with my hubby and there's less room. Though I much prefer to wake up more often and in pain if hubby could be home more often. This is one of the main reasons I'm leaning toward the split king adjustable bed. I can't always tolerate the vibrations because of allergies. When my ears are clogged, I get motion sickness easily.
    There's no concern about lights, because hubby can sleep with lights on and I wear a mask to bed.
    Thanks jshore, It's great to know you are still happy with yours after a decade. That's very comforting.
    Tibbrix, that's very true, which is why my questions were about whether or not to get an adjustable/motion bed or not. At this point were 99.9% sure we're going with the iComfort bed. The only real difference we could see is that that the Tempur-pedic had a zipper to open the top to see the cooling top of the mattress.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Count me in the Tempurpedic fan club. We bought a queen with an adjustable foundation and 'massage' feature many years ago. The only problem with it was not having the choice to elevate one side or the other. Last year, we had the chance to purchase a king - two x-long twins - at an incredible price. Both have adjustable bases and the massage/vibration feature.

Advantages (to me) are that I can sleep elevated (which eliminates the dreaded GERD issue) and I use the vibration feature *every* night. It's a gentle relaxer and I'm nearly always dead asleep before the timer goes off.

I hear the 'hot' complaint a lot when memory foam is discussed, but I can say that when I'm hot, it doesn't matter what I'm sleeping on, it's hot! Been sleeping on Tempurpedic now for about 20 years and don't plan to ever change.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Your post brought back an old student. He would be in his 40's now..back in the day at graduation he was all hyped up. To get him through school his parents promised him a motion bed when he got his diploma...he envisioned a life of hanging out in his bed, propped just right,watching TV and now a days has added video games, no doubt. I wonder how that all worked out for him?

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks TomatoFreak. I'm so glad I asked this question here. I too have tummy problem now and then so I was thinking the raise head of the bed would help.
    It sure would be nice to know what became of that young man Arcy.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

We bought natural latex organic. The amount of chemicals in a mattress is scary. Fire retardant chemicals are known to be dangerous. Some States require it but that is changing. Natural latex is naturally fire safe.

We love our mattress. I just bought the same for a daybed with trundle. Never paid so much for a twin mattress.

I would never go back to commercially produced toxic waste mattresses.

Jane

• kjente
    9 years ago

I'mby no means an expert, but I just got a tempurpedic cloud luxe a month ago. I'm sleeping better than I have for years. I did get the adjustable base and love it. As an added plus, the moveable base makes it easier to make the bed! Raise the head and foot and it's a snap!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Jane, what mattress did you get? What did you have before that this replaced?

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

My old mattress was a Sterns Foster. We bought it 12 years before at Bloomingdale's and paid a lot for it. It was never comfortable. First it was too hard, then as it got older, lumpy and saggy.

When we moved, we decided to get new mattresses. I did a lot of research and learned about the chemicals in fire retardants. Some States require mattresses to have them but we moved to Florida and it is not a requirement. Also, natural latex is a natural retardant and is allowed by other States.

As I stated, we just bought a daybed for our guest room. We bought the same mattress in twin for the daybed. Not cheap but so worth it.

We bought from a privately owned store and recommend that way to buy a mattress. The large mattress stores are all commissioned salesmen and will talk you into anything they can make the most money. Prices are not lower nor the service any better.

A privately owned store has a owner who wants to please their customers and hope they return. That is what we did when we bought the twin mattresses. This particular store has a 30 day sleep policy. They will return any bed but insist you sleep on the mattress for 30 days.

The first mattress we bought felt uncomfortable to us. It felt like it was sinking toward the middle. I called and he sent his men to pick it up and replace it. I was so impressed. No charge. I'm embarrassed to say we did this 2 times.

We finally took his recommendation and are thrilled. This store carried many organic mattresses and the owner was very knowledgeable and excited about the movement toward healthier mattresses.

It was quite the experience. We are so happy and never slept better. What a wonderful mattress.

Jane

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

So it's privately owned and they make their own mattresses - meaning the mattress is not sold elsewhere?

• Phobie Privett
    9 years ago

Just wanted to throw in one more possibility. We traded our traditional mattress for a sleep number bed. LOVE IT. We've had it for about 10 years and it's still going strong. Since it's air, there's no foam or mattress padding to wear down. I would have liked to have had one that had a pillow top, but that wasn't in the cards 10 years ago. I love that I can adjust the pressure depending on what I need every night. You'd be surprised at how often your "need" for firmness changes! My SIL has a motion sleep number and she loves it. They are having a huge sale on several models right now. I bought mine as a refurbished model. As a return, the company puts brand new ticking/covering on the mattress and then sells them for 60% off or so. My SIL has a motion sleep number and she lovet. I will never buy another traditional mattress. Ever.

• Phobie Privett
    9 years ago

Just wanted to throw in one more possibility. We traded our traditional mattress for a sleep number bed. LOVE IT. We've had it for about 10 years and it's still going strong. Since it's air, there's no foam or mattress padding to wear down. I would have liked to have had one that had a pillow top, but that wasn't in the cards 10 years ago. I love that I can adjust the pressure depending on what I need every night. You'd be surprised at how often your "need" for firmness changes! My SIL has a motion sleep number and she loves it. They are having a huge sale on several models right now. I bought mine as a refurbished model. As a return, the company puts brand new ticking/covering on the mattress and then sells them for 60% off or so. My SIL has a motion sleep number and she lovet. I will never buy another traditional mattress. Ever.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kjente, I never would have thought about the advantages of making a bed with adjustable mattresses as a selling point, but that alone could have sold me. LOL

When I started this thread, we knew we were 99.9% sure we wanted the Serta iComfort Savant. We are now 100% sure. We also know the adjustable is the way to go and will order it this Friday as our bed frame just came today and hubby will be home Friday.
    Superchick, my hubby had thought a sleep number would be our next bed, but after much research he decided he wanted a memory foam bed. After reviewing his findings I was completely on board with the memory foam. Had we gotten air, I would have needed the memory foam topper, which is the kind of bed I wanted all long.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 15:24

• kjente
    9 years ago

I'm thrilled for you that you've confirmed your decision! Getting to that point is harder with a bed than almost other furniture I can think of. Hope that you will have years of great sleep. Let us know how it goes!

These forums are the best!

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kjente, we did order it last Friday and it will be delivered tomorrow between three and five. I'm so looking forward to it as I've been sick all week with what seems to have turned into Bronchitis. I sure could have used the adjustable bed the last few nights, as they were the worst. Heading to the doctor later this morning. I hope she gives me something powerful so I can sleep.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Justgotabme- How do you like the Serta icomfort Savant? I see you got one in August. Just curious.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, we wound up exchanging it for a softer model, the Prodigy which cost $200.00 more each (hubby went ahead and changed his too) plus a hundred dollar return fee. It's a dream to sleep on, so it was completely worth it. We've had this replacement for two months now.
    After a week in the Savant, I could barely get out of the bed I was in so much pain. I have neck and upper back problems, so instead of waiting the 30 days they strongly suggest, we went back to the store. When I walked in, I couldn't even stand up straight. After discussing my needs to the sales lady, I laid on the Prodigy for a full half hour and walked upright out of the store after ordering a replacement. I'd have fallen asleep had the sales lady and my hubby not been talking and her asking how I felt now and then.
    I wound up cutting down our queen size 3" memory foam topper to fit the twin so I could sleep the week that it took to get the replacement.
    I love the Prodigy, and highly recommend that you buy from a place where you have the time to lay on it for fifteen minutes to a half hour before decided which one to buy. I have absolutely NO concept of time so I have no clue how long we laid before buying the first time. I timed it the second go round to make sure.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I just posted this on another mattress discussion.
    I would never buy a pillow top again, you can't turn the mattress over and it never stays uniform. We put it in our lake house and got Tempurpedic and love it. I never noticed it to feel hot. I've had years if back surgeries and pain and now it's diminished about 70%, to me that was such a blessing. We since have put them on all the beds and also in the lake house, guests go crazy for them.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

I am ready to run out and buy a movable bed just for the ease of changing the linens. That is an excellent idea Kjente!

We have a Beautyrest Black and frankly, I hate it. We had tried a temperpedic and it was indeed hot but I think they are putting the gel layers on them now to prevent that.

We put a gel topper from Costco on an old guest bed and everyone loves sleeping in that bed now. It was a cheap fix.

• justgotabme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yaya, pillow tops are not the only mattresses you can't turn over anymore. We can't turn our new ones over. We do turn them from head to foot though. Which reminds me, that needs to be done in the morning.
    Scapalmetto, it's still not easy to change the sheets if you have two twins set inside a king bed frame, but I'm sure it's easier than had they not been adjustable. The part I love most about the adjustable is not having to prop my head and legs up with pillows. I'm still working on sleeping all night on my back again because of neck and upper back pain. Having my head and legs raised helps.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Sister and DBIL bought a Stearns and Foster pillow top when they moved into their new house last January. They hate it with a passion. It has troughs, but not deep enough to trigger the warranty. They were talking to a mattress salesman about what to do, since it can't be flipped. The salesman said lots of people turn them 90 degrees. Since a king is 76 x 80, that means 2 inches hang off the box springs on each side.

Sis says it isn't ideal, but it is tolerable until they buy a new mattress, which they are shopping for now.

I don't know which I hate to buy more - a car, a mattress, or a swimsuit. None are pleasant shopping trips!