just_imagine
9 years ago

"Matching lamps should never be placed on matching bedside tables."
Do you agree or disagree?

Comments (12)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Disagree.

I don't think the lamps or tables have to match, but there's nothing the matter with matching.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

If you like symmetry, there is nothing wrong with that look.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Disagree

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I love the look of matching lamps and nightstands / end tables. I know I'm not with the times, but mismatched nightstands make me antsy.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

I also am in favour of symmetry, the bed is that star of the room imo and that's where the focus should be, for me the matching nightstands and lamps are a backdrop.

I've seen mismatched done beautifully though, and with intention and thought.

I would never have a "rule" that would state that lamps and bedside tables should always match, so the opposite should not be stated as a rule either.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I wouldn't save "never", but I prefer for things not to match. I have a wood table on one side of my bed and a fabric covered table on the other side. I have the same thing on either side of my sofa in the family room. I have matching lamps in my bedroom, but one is on the side table and one is on the dresser. I think it's more interesting when things don't match exactly.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Please don't tell me I've broken another decorating rule.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I'm usually against the matchy-matchy look, but I do have matching nightstands and lamps. I actually looked for quite a while to find non-matching nightstands for my room, because I have more space on one side than the other, but couldn't find a combination that worked for me, so I went matchy.

They aren't part of a matching bedroom set, though.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

disagree!! i have very few absolutes/nevers!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh the horrors of matching night stands and lamps! Who could inflict such a crime on anyone, especially on their guests!

Oh...that'd be me....never mind.
    ;)

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Disagree.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Never is a really long time! There's a time and a place or rather a room and a decorating style where matching is not only ok but preferable. And the same is true of not matching.