Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

What a Difference a Door Makes . . .

teeda
10 years ago

We bought a 60s brick ranch as part of a downsize move, and have been stuck in the remodel for almost a year (don't ask!). The trim around the door still needs to be installed, but I wanted to share the impact new doors have on the entry. We also added a bluestone surface, and will be replacing the entry lights. I cringed every time I pulled up to the house before, and now I smile!

Comments (58)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

It is a very big improvement, but I would strongly recommend keeping and selling the center-set door hardware or at least the excutcheons on someplace like eBay.

• theclose
    10 years ago

It really looks beautiful! I agree with pal - that door hardware might be valuable!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Major improvement!!!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Wow, that is gorgeous. What a difference. Now take the tags off the ferns and it will be perfect. ;)

• madeyna
    10 years ago

Great choice!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Your entry has gone from dowdy and dull to elegant and grand. Congrats on a job well done!

• bac717
    10 years ago

It's beautiful!!! Doesn't even look like the same house!

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Wow! Terrific upgrade!

ML

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Amazing!!! Well done.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

It's a gorgeous door and I love your new chairs and plantings.

• teeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! Pal, I did save the escutcheons (there were a matching pair on the inside as well!). Solid brass. I saved the leaded/stained glass also. Couldn't wait to get the rest of it into the dumpster!

Annz, the entry area was extended out a couple of feet. We didn't need to change the roof line because the original overhang was deep enough to accommodate it.

The new doors change the interior as well. Below are before and after pics of the foyer. The before pics were from the realtor's listing. We took a couple feet off the foyer when we expanded the kitchen. We don't miss the space in the foyer.

Oh, the tags on the planters are coming off--I just picked them up today and was just trying out arrangements. Thanks again for all the kind words!
    Foyer Before:

After:

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

What a lovely entry you have made. I just love your beautiful wood doors and love your paint selection in the foyer. May I ask what it is?

• teeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly, it's Benjamin-Moore Cream Fleece.

• zoey75
    10 years ago

Wow! Stunning..I love it. Beautiful job.

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

Beautiful improvements--so much richer looking! As others said, the new flooring inside and the tile outside also make a great difference too! I like your choices.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Wow!!!! Gorgeous choices and wonderful results inside and outside too!!! :)

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Amazing, hard to believe it is the same place.

• bac717
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I hope you will continue to share more dramatic before and after pictures.

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful entryway-inside and out. The doors are gorgeous, they must let a lot of light into your home. Wonderful update!

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Oh my! I loved the door from the outside but REALLY love it from the inside. Great transformation. More pix of the rest of the house please :)

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I agree with oldbat, I want to see more of this reno! What you have done so far is stunning!

• jab65
    10 years ago

A wonderful improvement

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful entryway-inside and out. The doors are gorgeous, they must let a lot of light into your home. Wonderful update!

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

You must be so delighted with the changes you've made! I like the lights (but then, what do I know?). I, too, look forward to seeing more.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Just beautiful, both inside and outside.
    I love the inside foyer paint color, too : )

• User
    10 years ago

Gosh, it looks like a different house! The slate looks fabulous, too. It's like a mini-makeover. I would also like to see more pix.

• loribee
    10 years ago

Stunning! Please continue to keep us updated! :)

• jrueter
    10 years ago

Terrific job. I am surprised no one mentioned repainting the ceiling of the exterior entry. Although the doors and the slate make for great changes - lightening the ceiling is really what opens the space up to me!

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

Looks fabulous! I want a new door now. :)

• teeda
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I promise to post pics of the full reno--the painters are coming in tomorrow to finish up and then the cabinet maker will add final details to the kitchen. As a tease until I get the "after" shots--here's a before of the kitchen:

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

What a tease! Now I can't wait to see the after photo of the kitchen. Your front door, the paint, and the stone make a huge difference in the look of your house.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

OMG, can't believe the difference. Just wonderful! Can't wait to see more.

• bac717
    10 years ago

I CANNOT wait to see more!

• Jess TKA
    10 years ago

WHOA. I can't believe that's even the same house after seeing the foyer. It's beautiful! The foyer closet doors and trim work from the "before" photo looks just like my house now. I would soooo love to have my home updated the same way yours is. It looks wonderful.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    10 years ago

Fabulous! Those doors are so elegant. Very well done.

• amj0517
    10 years ago

Lovely! I too look forward to more.

• melsouth
    10 years ago

Adding my admiration--perfect door choice!

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Can I just say "WOW!" That is beautiful. Look forward to the kitchen photos.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

It looks so much more open and inviting, I like the increased connection with the outdoors that it brings. Veyr nice!

• arbpdl
    10 years ago

Very nice!!

• nhb22
    10 years ago

I can't get over the transformation. Very inspiring!

• Irish2
    10 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Looking forward to more photos.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

Looks wonderful inside and out! Looking forward to seeing the new kitchen.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Major improvement. You made the perfection selection!!

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

You have amazing vision!

• lascatx
    10 years ago

The doors are beautiful, but the tile and paint are a big part of the transformation too. I did not like the light fixtures in the "before" but do like them in the "after" They fit now. Nice job on the interior too.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Wow! You have great vision. Can't wait to see the kitchen.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Boy am I late to this party! Wowzer! Love what you've done and can't wait to see the kitchen.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

The before and after shots are great! I agree with all the others that this was a wonderful transformation, interior and exterior. I can't wait to see what you do with the kitchen!

• jen9
    10 years ago

Did you darken the brick also? It looks amazing - inside & out.