Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Reverting to Traditional...Updating Dining Room With Green Damask

User
9 years ago

I have been looking on and off for two years for a new fabric for my dining room chairs, having finally tired of the plaid I had so long. I've looked at more contemporary and "transitional" fabrics as well as full- bore traditional silk tapestries from Brunschwig (much too expensive for my lot to eat on, we use our DR a lot). I finally found a lovely green and very light gold damask that looks good with the silk curtains that are staying, and I'm having the lot upholstered in the same fabric.

This whets my endless appetite for red and green :-). The fabric is a delicious color of apple green IRL...

And here it is next to the curtains:

Just happy I finally found something and wanted to share!

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 16:33

Comments (18)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Gorgeous color -- and can't WAIT to see that pretty fabric on the chairs! Great choice! :)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

That fabric looks terrific with your draperies.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

That is just lovely KSWL. I adore damask and the green is a lovely shade. I am so anxious to see the chairs completed!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Nice!

• lizzie_grow
    9 years ago

LOVEâ¦also love your plaid curtains!!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Oooo.... I like!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gosh, I have to say I am more than a little surprised! Damask is super traditional and you don't see it used that much any more. I thought it was completely out of favor, that i was practically recreating my grandmother's dining room.

But come to think of it, she would never have used green damask in a red room, so maybe that's what keeps it from being totally old ladyish? Lol, whatever it is I'm glad it appeals to discriminating people and not just me :-)

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I just love seeing color, again. The neutral rooms that have been so popular can be pretty, but I'm a color person at heart. I also tend to be traditional with a little bizarro thrown in for fun ;)

The apple green and red is making my mouth water, LOL!

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

Love it Kswl! I think the apple green is what is keeping it fresh for me. A forest green would def lean grandmotherly, but that brighter green on the super traditional damask is perfect.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Whew!!! I thought you were going to repaint that luscious red! So glad it's just getting some delicious green company!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Anele! ID asked me if I was ready to "give up" the red walls and I said absolutely not. If I were to do something different I would wallpaper but I'm just not feeling that right now. Maybe someday....a mural paper...not anytime in the near future. I've had a red dining room for twelve years and it is just so lovely at Christmas, with all the silver out and white tablecloths or placemats, I don't know if I could ever give it up.

You know, Jackson, there was a time when forest green was just the greatest and latest. I wonder what shade of green we'll be using in 20 years??

• User
    9 years ago

It like it a lot. I really enjoy seeing photos of your home. It's refreshing to see pictures with color!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

very nice!! traditional is always nice, imo-- esp in a formal dining room!

• nini804
    9 years ago

Just lovely...so fresh and pretty!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I love wallpaper, too. I have spent the last 2 years in this home trying to figure out how to replicate hand-painted Chinoiserie paper in one section of my dining room (on a ghost budget!).

So glad you kept the red. I bet it is stunning at Christmas. I have thought about all of the holidays that work with red. I would say, most do.

Still at a crossroads about painting my LR red. Red or ivory--not sure! If I pick ivory, for certain I will paint my entryway red.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

thank you for sharing. you have exquisite taste and a decorating adventure with you is certainly a pleasant ride from start to finish.

• loribee
    9 years ago

Great choice!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I remember discussions about this project before. Weren't you looking chinoiserie or embroidery? Might you still use that for a runner?