Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dyeam_gw

What to put on this blank wall

Dyeam
10 years ago

I am currently decorating my studio apartment and have come across an issue. I really liked this huge cavas picture I found in Ikea, and put it on the only wall it fit (where it is now). Now I do not know what to put on the wall to it's right. I feel as though another picture might be too much, but leaving it blank looks odd.

This post was edited by Dyeam on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 13:50

Comments (19)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

You could do some black metal art, candle sconces, a cool looking clock.

• rosie
    10 years ago

I like it. From this side of the screen I'm imagining three smallish framed prints, mounted one above the other, their sides, and possibly but not necessariliy their content ,echoing the skyscrapers' vertical lines. In tones of white, gray and black, again to echo the mural's colors.

I think Ikea has square and rectangular frames with wide mats, doesn't it? Three of those with small black and white pictures clipped as needed and inserted.

I notice that the mural's color values (light-dark) are pretty harmonious, the black soft, no strong contrasts, so I would avoid any dramatic black-white-type contrasts in the supporting prints that might grab attention away from the lead to the supporting players.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Too bad you can't fold the mural 1/3 from the right side and put it in the corner, on both walls.

I like the black and white photo idea, and rosie pegged it, I think - avoid stark contrasts.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

You could hang a cool black framed or metallic framed mirror.

• Dyeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie, could you provide a visual example of what you meant? It sounds great but I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head.

• Dyeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was also thinking of maybe adding a shelf that I could put stuff on, sort of like the bed in this picture. Yay or nay?

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I don't think a shelf would be substantial enough. By the way, I love the canvas. My son has it hanging in his apartment.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

One other thing, I think you should hang the top of the canvas level with the top of the window frame.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Ikea has Malma mirrors in black and white, maybe you could get 9 of them and do 3 rows of 3 above the bed. If they're too small, maybe you could find something similar but of a larger scale.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Target has some round mirror sets that would work as well. As Rosie suggested, you could get several frames from Ikea that have large white mats (and space for a small picture) and find some gray, white and black pictures from magazines or on line and frame them. I'll try to fine a photo.

• Dyeam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate all the advice and I am taking it into consideration, but remember, I am a college student, and this is a college apartment. I unfortunately don't have $300 dollars to spend on a cool metal wall art to fill up a blank wall.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I think annkh had a great idea to wrap it around the corner, like a corner window. You could probably carefully saw the wood frame it's stapled to, top and bottom and bend it around the corner. 2/3 on the present wall, 1/3 on the headboard wall. If it doesn't work, it would be easy to repair the cuts.

If you don't like that idea, what about a decal for above the headboard? Something like the bicycle or skis or peace sign on this site. Or any of them that appeal to you - they vary in price and you can google for other sites - I know nothing about this one. Decals stick with static so they wont damage your walls and are easily removed when you move.

Here is a link that might be useful: decals

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I had a large wall space to fill and didn't want to spend a lot of money on it (I never do!) so I took some of my own photos and edited them to black and white and had them printed out at fedex/kinkos. I then framed them all the same with frames (mats included) from Walmart. Very inexpensive but good looking. I didn't like the mat color so I went to the craft store and got acrylic paint and painted the mats.

You could also go to an art supply store and buy stretcher frames and then stretch graphic or colorful fabric over them for a warm yet inexpensive wall treatment.

• camlan
    10 years ago

A black shelf would work. My concern would be the height of the shelf--if you ever sit up in bed to read or do homework, you'd have to have the shelf fairly high so that it's not cutting into your back when you sit.

But the shelf would certainly be useful. Then hang something over the shelf--a large round clock, some prints in black frame from Ikea, an interesting piece of fabric. Or a small blackboard where you can write things.

If you really need storage (and who doesn't in a studio), you could also run a narrow shelf, like a picture ledge, under the canvas, for a tiny lamp, or place to charge your phone, or a glass of water.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Several IKEA Lack shelves, but in black

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Lack

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'm not a fan of a shelf over the bed head as I'm always concerned it will fall on me...bad feng shui....

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I think the problem with doing a shelf or shelves is that it looks like it would overlap the canvas, since it pretty much goes into the corner.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

True, I missed that part.

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company