Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

What's your best guess on this color

msrose
14 years ago

I would love to paint my future kitchen cabinets this color and I adore the style of this table and chairs. It definitely has a yellow undertone, but I want something that definitely looks creamy and not yellow. I started to write down the name of the trim when I thought it was BM paint and then I realized it wasn't. Now I'm wishing I had because I could find out what color was close to it. I'm thinking the color was Antique White and I was thinking it was possibly F&B, but I have one of the color brochures and there's no Antique White on there. I already threw the magazine away and I'm not even sure which one of my magazines this picture came from. I get House Beautiful, Traditional Home and Country Living.

{{!gwi}}

Laurie

Comments (38)

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Mayonnaise might be the color you are looking for, BM.

• msrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Patricia - Mayonnaise is already on my list of sample cards to order:) I was just looking through my fandeck the other day and came across it. I know you've mentioned it in the pass, so I definitely want to get a bigger sample.

Laurie

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Hi Laurie,

I just love this colour too!

Check out Benjamin Moore Mascarpone (Aura paint) & Ivory White along with the Mayonnaise you've mentioned. Cloud White is a great creamy colour too, but the picture above seems to be more rich/creamy than Cloud White.

From Farrow & Ball, check out Pointing (Beautiful!) and White Tie.

Good luck:)
    Lisa

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Another option for you might be to go to the library and look through the mags you named to find the picture again. Also, this is probably a dumb suggestion-and don't mean to insult you!- but did you look on the back side of that mag. page to see if the identifying info of the magazine might be printed there?

Hope you find the perfect color!

• les917
    14 years ago

I must also say that at least on my monitor, the whole pix looks yellow - so I am not sure how accurate the color information would be.

Also keep in mind that the paint color will look different in your space because of lighting and surrounding color from walls, counters, etc. So even if you were to find the name, in your space it might not feel the same.

Good luck in your search!

• msrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jbrig - I did look on the back side of the page and wouldn't you know I would tear out a page that doesn't have the name of the magazine listed on either side. I was hoping someone else would have the same magazine and could tell me what paint it is. In the meantime, I'm going to order sample cards of the ones mentioned here.

Laurie

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

Well, rats, Laurie, that would have just been too easy if it had been on the back of the page, wouldn't it? :-) I assumed you had already thought of that, but I know, for me, sometimes I overlook the simplest solution while racking my brain for the answer! Again, good luck in your quest for the "perfect" color. You've definitely come to the right place for lots of great suggestions from the scores of helpful, creative posters here.

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

See Traditional Home, September, 2009. Page 152 shows the breakfast room of the Nickel house by Charles Faudree. The "Sources" section at the back, page 182, lists:
    ("Bone White #2054 FB):Pratt & Lambert, 800/289-7728" as the ceiling and trim color. Whether this is a Farrow and Ball color mixed in P & L paint or the actual P & L identifier I do not know. Anyone familiar with Pratt and Lambert colors?

• User
    14 years ago

2054 is P&L's Bone white

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Ahhh..............kitchendetective is also our Color Detective~ ! Good job! And Chloe45 fills in the blanks. Now Red contributes that she lives 3 minutes away from a store with Pratt & Lambert chips, so just say the word if you want #2054.

Red

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

P&L's Bone White is beautiful also and so peaceful. Maybe I just like Bone White and Natural Wicker colors. I just love this picture so much since it is so neutral and gives such a peaceful feeling.

• Sujafr
    14 years ago

Here's a direct link to the picture and the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional Home Breakfast Room with banquette

• msrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I guess there's a reason they call you kitchen "detective". Thank you so much!!!!

Red - That would be great if you could get me a sample card. I actually would like to try and match it to a BM color. I'll send you an e-mail if I can through GW.

sujafr - I was so sure it was from Country Living that I tried to find it on their website, but didn't check the other two. Thanks!

Laurie

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

suejafr, thank you so much for the link! I knew the picture was familiar but I could not find it in the Traditional Magazines that I kept ( I leave them at my hair dresser after I am done with them so I have something to do when I am there)but remember seeing that picture that I fell in love with. I am saving the link. I also looked at the other pictures with the P&L Bone White Ceilings and trim and the neutral color seems to pick up colors around it which is nice. That picture has wall paper on the walls.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

To the rescue!!! I JUST painted my basement ceilings and bathroom in P&L Bone White this Friday!!! It IS a nice color. All the ceilings are bone white and the walls as you go down the stairs. Please excuse the mess. The lights aren't even installed yet but here you go! This is the best I could do for now. When I get it all done and have proper lighting, I will take another pic. Nudge me if I forget!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

kmcg85, I just love the P&L Bone White color! What gloss level finish did you use? I can't wait to see updated pictures after your lights are installed and everything is finished. It is truly a warm beautiful neutral color. Thank you for sharing.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

The sheen is matte. Hopefully all the painting will get finished tomorrow! Thanks! I do like the P&L Bone White too.

• catkin
    14 years ago

Do the detectives know which BEHR or SW color(s) would be closest to PL Bone White?
    Thanks!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

P&L Bone White matches using colorcharts.org

I only have the BM Paint Deck that starts with the 2 series so I can't look up the 1093 BM French White color to see how it compares with BM Bone White. I may want to get a card to check it out but most likely I am just going to go with BM Bone White which is BM Natural Wicker since it looks nice in my home office but I am now curious. Hope this helps those that asked about what Behr color was close to P&L Bone White since it seems to be Behr Clairidge is a close match but not exact.

Here is a link that might be useful: P&L Bone White matches using colorcharts.org

• elle3
    14 years ago

I'm not sure if this is helpful...I am looking at swatches of french white 1093 and bm bone white and I am seeing a very slight peachy/pinky cast to the french white when compared to the bone white. I am looking at both chips against a white background...

I have been scouring these threads recently looking for a neutral off white and find your pics and descriptions very helpful. Perhaps we should start an off-white thread in the gallery, as it appears many posters have interest in these colors:)

• msrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kmcg85 - What color did you use on the wall in the first picture? I really like that. The Bone White looks more creamy in the last picture than the others. Which one is more accurate?

elle3 - I agree. Whites and off whites are so hard to pick out because of the different undertones.

Laurie

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

They are ALL bone white colormatched in Behr paint from Home Depot. Most places have other mfgs. colors in their computers so it is easy for them to mix up! The first pic is the truest.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

elle3, thank you so much! This helps me a lot knowing that the BM Bone White would work better for me in my home office. But that P&L Bone White is beautiful in those pictures and looks great in kmcg85's basement.

My BM Bone White looks different on each wall in my family room but each shade depending on the light hitting it or not hitting the wall and what is around the painted wall to me is nice and neutral and looks nice. Due to the putty cabinets, I feel the BM version will go nicer in my home office or maybe I just don't want to look anymore and must work.

Thank you everyone! I agree we should start an off-white painted wall thread.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I don't know why I married for love instead of money!! Just kidding:)

Gosh, I would sooooo love to have Charles Faudree do my house - I can't even imagine what one of his rooms would cost - they are so fine. And to top it off for me, he loves dogs and in his books shows pics of his Nicholas and 2 big old yellow labs being lazy in these gorgeous rooms.

Smiles:)

• msrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kmcg85 - duh, I was thinking the trim was bone white in the 1st picture.

lynn - just curious, why are you thinking BM Bone White will work better for you than P&L Bone White? Does one have a different undertone than the other? How would you describe BM Bone White? Does it look creamy or yellow?

Laurie

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Laurie, These are old pics when I was starting to paint BM Bone White & BM Linen White with bright white trim but this is all I have on my hard drive that was able to be saved when my hard drive failed. I will take more pics soon. The BM wall color is so pretty but washed out in a lot of light on the wall behind the sofa in the family room but I figure that is OK since after the Brazilian Cherry floors are installed, I will get a beautiful picture or pictures behind the sofa. In the home office, the BM Linen White is pretty on by the window in the front. The rest of the room looks much ligher and off white with a lemon cast and is not that great. I wish I had pictures to show you but they were lost when my hard drive failed.

I guess I can look at the paint chip to P&L Bone White but my putty cabinets go nicely with the BM Bone White and do not clash since the color seems to pick up colors around it to go nicely with everything in all rooms. I am sure the P&L Bone White is gorgeous, but I guess I am tired of looking and my floors come tomorrow and I do not know where to get a P&L paint chip.

I better get some sleep. Hope this helps. Sorry the pictures are not that great but I lost the much better ones unless I find I have a back-up some place.

Here is a link that might be useful: These are old pics when I was starting to paint BM Bone White & BM Linen White with bright white trim

• msrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lynn - Thanks for the pictures. I saved the ones of BM Bone White and your comments about your hard drive makes me realize I haven't backed up my pictures in awhile. I've saved so many inspiration photos, I can't imagine losing them all.

Laurie

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Laurie, the paint color, BM Bone White, is prettier in person to me than the pictures I sent to the list since being in my family room with the color on the wall gives such a peaceful feeling. Even a client who used to only have BM Dove White Walls loved the paint color so much with the white trim, that she finally decided to paint her living room BM Bone White and is very pleased.

I am tired from being up too late but I wanted to share the pictures since everyone has been so nice to me. I am working on this project that I have to have done before the engineered hardwood arrives today (I can't wait) and it is stressing me since one of the partners is the bookkeeper and his record keeping is very bad and I do not feel I will take back the account next year since I deserve to be treated with respect and be paid for my time. I could not sleep last night too well and I am making changes in my life to make me feel good about myself and only take on clients that appreciate my work. I love this list since everyone is so helpful and we all are there for each other. Thank you for always being there for me and I hope I help others also making them not feel alone as we agonize about making the right choice for us.

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

Check out the following BM colours...these were part of the endless ones I tested. So hard to get white right!!

>Marble White (loved this colour when wet on the tester board:)

>Acadia White (or even Timid White next to it...)

Too bad we couldn't have a swap program for tester pots...lol.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thanks Lisa_Mocha, I will look at the paint chips and compare and see if it is a color that would look OK next to my putty file cabinets. Thanks for caring and sharing.

• msrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lynn - Good for you for doing what you need to do to take care of yourself. We women are sometimes guilty of putting ourselves last.

Can't wait to see your picture!

Laurie

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Thank you msrose for being on my side. The dreams of how I let all these people walk on me are getting more intense at night and I will not let it happen to me anymore.

I can't wait to post pics!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

That is one gawgeous room!

• redbazel
    14 years ago

I need to get DH to back up my hard drive too. Thanks for the timely reminder.

I emailed Laurie already, but getting the chip of Pratt & Lambert Bone White was a bust. They have a lovely display (along with their Dutch Boy line) in the OSH store, but it doesn't evidently include all the P&L colors. No Bone White. I did see a 'Whites' brochure with Swiss Coffee and picked up a chip of that. It looked beautiful.

Red

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Red, I did a search and I have a store not that far from me that sells P&L paints. I will call to see if they have the P&L Bone White paint chip. If they do, I will let you know and I would be willing to mail it to you.

• sundownr
    14 years ago

I'm sorry for not reading all the posts but I ran across a photo that reminded me of the photo you posted.
    This one is Farrow & Ball paint # 240 Cat's Paw "A stylish, yellow-based neutral color which has an expecially soft tone". Possibly you have found the color you were looking for and if not I hope this helps you.

{{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

sundownr, I just love that color in that picture. I may try to get a paint chip tomorrow and a paint chip of the P&L Bone White. I still love the BM Bone White but I am wondering if I need a color with a little more cream in it to brighten my home office but one that does not clash with the putty cabinets despite the color looking so wonderful in my family room.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Well, tonight I was in the Orchard Supply Hardware that carries P&L paint. And tonight they had an actual paint guy in the store. He found me the chip of Bone White.......the numbers have changed, but on the back it said Old #2054. I got an extra chip for Laurie and need to email her to see if she still wants it!

Red