Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanmeade

Help Bring My Half Bath into the 21st Century!

nanmeade
9 years ago

My home was built in 1986. We've made cosmetic changes like removing the 80's wallpaper and painting the walls, putting up new light fixtures, etc. This small 90 x 36 half bath needs a makeover. I'm not sure if I should gut the whole thing or again do some cosmetic changes. The sink has been cracked since we moved in which was in 1987. So that can go as far as I am concerned. I like traditional style.

This is my home:

Photos of the half bath:

I wish my living room and kitchen looked like this:

Contemporary Living Room by Richmond Kitchen & Bath Designers KDW Home/Kitchen Designworks

I love this sink and vanity style but maybe in a cherry wood stain.

Traditional Bathroom by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Nanette Baker of Interiors by Nanette, LLC

This is pretty:

Traditional Bathroom by Cambridge General Contractors JW Construction
And this is pretty:

Traditional Bedroom by Toronto Design-Build Firms The Reno Coach

I've never done any major reno before so I wouldn't even know where to start! Thank you for looking at these photos.

Nancy

Comments (18)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Start with the vanity. All these shown below are available through Lowes though there are numerous sources for vanities. You can spend a lot or a little on these. These all come with tops so that makes things easier. Pick a style, decide on how much you're willing to spend and set your course.

After you select this main item, you'll have to select a lav sink if the vanity and top doesn't already have one. Then pick a complementary faucet.

Don't know if you want to stay with your existing floor tile or turn this into a much bigger project. Can't tell from the pics of your toilet it white or some other color. If it coordinates with the new items, then keep it, or select something new that matches.

Just a note. The family room picture you provided for the style you like is fairly casual with country/farmhouse/exposed timber details, but the powder rooms you provided are far more formal in style. You better decide which direction you're headed first, or you'll be making some expensive mistakes. The bottom two pictures illustrate completely custom powder room details. All they take is time, money and talent.

• User
    9 years ago

I have a powder room with the same configuration, but with a pedestal sink. I think if I were to put in a vanity instead, I'd do one with full-length drawers. Usually there are three deep drawers, with the top one notched for the plumbing. You pull out all the drawers to access the plumbing. In your second photo, that top drawer is probably notched. Drawers are so tiny in a small vanity that they are almost useless.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Beverly. I am definitely more casual, farmhouse style than formal.

Here is a photo of the eating area in my kitchen:

The toilet in the half bath is gray as are the tiles in the flooring which are cemented in. I might just run over to Lowe's in a few and check out the vanities. May, thanks for the idea about the drawers.

• erinsean
    9 years ago

Painting the walls a light color...white, cream, grey....would make a big difference in your powder room. I like any of the vanities Beverly27 mentioned from Lowes but since all the wood in your room matches, (shelves, TP holder, mirror frame) have you thought to just look at tops to fit the vanity you have?

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes grandmaof3. I thought of just replacing the vanity top and sink. It's the safest and easiest way to go right now without doing a complete reno. I will be removing the wall paper and changing out the hideous light fixture. Thanks for the comment. Nancy

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If the vanity is solid and in good shape, keep it. Get a nice new vanity top and sink...you can probably get a remnant piece of granite for not a lot of money. Something with some gray in it to go with the floor. Get rid of all the wooden accessories and the light fixtures. Get rid of the dark wall paper and pick a more modern, pale wall color like a soft blue. Go with a satin or brushed nickel finish and get the same finish on new light fixtures over the vanity. Add the same metal to the vanity with knobs and tp holder. I'm not a fan of the towels over the toilet...instead get a simple piece of art that ties the colors together.

You'll be amazed at what that will do for the room....

• User
    9 years ago

I'm of the mind that if you've lived with the same vanity and cracked sink for 27 years and you'd like something new, then you deserve it. However, you could just order new doors through someplace like Barker Doors, which is excellent quality. You could get full overlay doors in natural or a medium stained cherry. Be aware that while granite remnants are not very expensive, fabricating them is. We paid $500 for a 36" remnant, fabrication, and installation. You can also get pre-fab granite tops, but I don't know much about them.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You all are great. Thanks for the ideas. I hate the wooden accessories also so I am pretty sure they are going! I am peeling off the wallpaper even as I write this. Ughhhh!! I have to spray water all over it to get it off. This is going to take a while, like weeks. Oh well, I jumped in and no jumping back out. :) What do you all think of a quartz vanity top?

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Replace the flooring if needed. Remove dated wallpaper, paint or re-wallpaper (love the 2nd bath inspiration pic). Refinish or paint cabinet. Replace counter top, sink, lighting and hard wear. Replace the toilet to a more updated one. Keep walls clear other than mirror and art. I think this is one of the easiest and best updates you can do to your home! Good luck!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Red Sox.....use liquid fabric softener to remove the paper. Dilute it with water. It's cheap and works well. Try peeling off the top vinyl layer first so what's left is just the white backing underneath. Use a sponge and liberally apply the fabric softener solution then use a scraper and it should come right off.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: 8-6-2014 This is what the bathroom looked like when I tried to strip off the wall paper. I was taking part of the dry wall with it.

I hired my painter to come in and do it so I didn't make more of a mess:

I am going to pick out a piece of remnant quartz. How do you feel about this?

What about this light fixture and mirror?

Thanks!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Can you post a better picture of the flooring so that we may see the colors better?

Cute vanity light, where did you find it?

• User
    9 years ago

Love the quartz and the paint color. However, in a windowless bathroom, I'd be very leery about a light fixture with glass shades. I think the bulbs will be glaring and painfully bright.

Also, I think with the colors of the wall and quarts, I'd go with either bronze or gold fixtures and mirror, or a wood/painted mirrorâ¦just not silver.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The flooring is staying. It is gray:

The vanity is also staying. Here is the color of the cabinet door:

I agree that the glass globes on the lighting might be glaring. I really like it but it probably is not for that space. So I am trying to get specks of gray and brown in the quartz countertop but I really don't want gold lighting or faucets.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about this:
    {{!gwi}}

The vanity light is from shades of light.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I think silver would work great with that second granite and with the floor and the color you've chosen for your walls.

I'd also paint the trim white, as well as the cabinets, if you're up for it. Definitely the trim, though, with a semi or high gloss bathroom&kitchen paint.

• nanmeade
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Too matchy?

• User
    9 years ago

I don't think so. I think they look nice together.