Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Sneak peek plus patio, landscape suggestions?

sochi
9 years ago

Our small lakeside cottage in the woods is getting close now! The siding is not yet complete at the front of the building so I'll hold off on the "fun" pictures for another couple of weeks.

From the pics below you can see that we are seriously in the woods here! The lake is down and to the left (east) of the house.

This back side of the house was meant to be minimal, not giving away much of what the house really is all about. To the right (west) of the house will be a cedar path (or dock, as the architect envisions this house as a boat ..) that takes you to the main entrance. To the left, or east, we have a good size patio that will be linked to the DR by a short bridge/ramp. The house is still dusty and DH is painting this week, so he is staying in that tent - it is a 5 or 6 man tent to give you a sense of the size of the patio.

Anyway, I have FAR more cleared ground than expected. You can't see the cleared area to the left and behind me in this picture, but it is around 5,000 sq feet - about half of that is the septic field. Wildflower meadow/eco lawn there perhaps.

I also need to plant a few trees and/or shrubs to provide some separation between the end of the driveway zone and the patio. Any thoughts there? I'll modify the gravel paths at some point, but will want them to stay pretty simple/rustic.

And the patio - it is almost circular, fairly large. I'm not sure what I want for furniture there. Certainly a table, possibly a fire pit. Circular benches around a fire pit perhaps? This is still totally up in the air.

All comments, thoughts welcome on the patio, landscaping and anything else!

Here are a couple of inspiration pictures for the path areas:

Comments (10)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

WOW! cant wait for more photos.

I love love the cedar path and in fact I think I may steal it and claim it as my own idea.

I also love the flowers you show.

Would you consider using a landscape designer? I think it's so important to get this right. I would want to see lots of rock and grasses and wildflowers; and very little of what would not naturally occur.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Also -- do you know your planting zone for your lakeside home?

And -- consider adding a few solar pathway lights if possible -- and something at the end of the driveway so that visitors (and any emergency vehicles) can find your driveway ......

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Woodland paths

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another pin board for a woodland patio -- LOVE the idea of a firepit (with any needed screening on top to contain fire sparks) with seating .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- woodland patios

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

LOVE. cant' wait to see more.

yes I was thinking natural too. Ferns come to mind for me.

Some things I have pinned for the future for me! :)

{{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

ooh ooh and a moss garden maybe? I am totally ignorant about it but it looks like a good area for moss ...

• teacats
    9 years ago

Possible plants -- from another Pinterest pin board ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- woodland plants

• teacats
    9 years ago

Here's some modern patios from Pinterest -- very cool ....and some have pits too! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- modern patios

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! Mtn, feel free to steal any ideas!

I'm absolutely looking to create something natural and appropriate to the woodland setting. I'm limited somewhat on what I can plant on the septic field, plus I should probably have some of the relatively flat areas behind the patio planted in something kids can walk and play on - there isn't much flat land on this property, other than the driveway and patio.

I didn't show a picture of the terraced rock garden / retaining wall at the front of the house, complete with all rock stairs carved out of the ground - it is awesome. We used all the rock (about $10k worth apparently) from our excavation. Literally used every last one.

Anyway, this terraced rock garden ranges from full shade to nearly fully sun when it reaches up to the patio area. I will definitely have a moss garden plus a fern garden there - exactly what is growing all over the forest floor out in the woods. Some existing rocks in the terrace are still covered with moss and I will try using Moss Milkshake (see link) to encourage moss growth on the rocks dug out of the ground. Each terraced level up the side of the hill has a long narrow bed to plant, should be fun.

I also want to do something like this right under the cantilever - it is a perfect spot to sit quietly on rainy days:

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss Milkshake

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great links teacats, thanks!

• peony4
    9 years ago

Most gardening zones have what are designated as low, medium and high maintenance plants. Whether you use a landscape architect or DIY your own landscaping plans, I recommend using only low-maintenance plants. Medium and high maintenance plants can either require a great deal of care to become established, or, once established, can be such vigorous growers or demand frequent maintenance.

My in-laws live on wooded water property in the northern US, and their landscape complaints involve trees that grow too quickly (and, thus, are weak and short-lived), any tree that drops nuts or other difficult-to-clean debris, and plants that are susceptible to deer.