Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner2011a

Fireplace Screen Pick - Fit with house or too much?

newhomeowner2011a
11 years ago

Many of you have seen pics of my house before - this time I'm picking out a fireplace screen and need your input!

Here was the fireplace when we looked at the house -

(sort of wishing I had kept screen on and painted the brass black and called it a day... too late now!)

Here are some updated pics of the fireplace -

The opening for our fireplace is 32 1/4 wide and 25" tall.

And here are pictures of the house that I think pull in the same shapes as the screen -

Our house is very open and you can see from the front door this fireplace so I want it to look right.

Here is the one I have my eye on -

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM187835215P#desc

and

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM187834346P#desc

Style numbers are different but can't tell why.

Here is the RH one - similar except the material which that along w/ the brand name alone jacks up the price I'm sure - yikes!

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1640035&categoryId=cat160088

And this is the one I actually might even prefer b/c no doors (never have owned/operated a fireplace but would imagine unless doors are sturdy, you will end up moving the entire thing completely to add logs?

http://reviews.lowes.com/0534/1179159/reviews.htm

(they no longer sell this one so I'm out of luck but thought I'd share)

Thoughts?

Comments (14)

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Some of them may only have mesh doors rather than glass doors - personally I am looking for glass doors for our fireplace, since they block drafts.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I am sorry to say that the RH screen is far more elegant, and the Sears one doesn't seem to have screening except in the doors?

With your wonderful starburst mirror, are you sure you wouldn't rather have something a bit less strict, and with a touch of brass? Something like this one, which at $350 is right between the other two?
    (If you want to look at the link, you have to scroll down a bit to get to it.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Firescreen with brass button trim

• Lyban zone 4
    11 years ago

Have you looked at antique stores for a nice screen. My daughter had luck finding one their.

• Sujafr
    11 years ago

While free standing screens can be so interesting and decorative, our experience (oh, yeah, we learned the hard way...) is that none of the freestanding ones we tried actually prevent sparks from flying out if that's what you're planning to use it for, because they just didn't fit tightly enough against the front of the fireplace. I'd suggest looking at attached ones--or painting the one that came with the house. The ones attached to the fireplace work even though they're not usually quite as decorative. You can order them through the big box stores, Amazon, etc. DH installed ours in a previous home. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot fireplace doors

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

If you wanted one that returned to the wall, there are models like this. We used one in our library fireplace (but you can hardly see it...so I added a photo of a similar one). They are a nice alternative to installed glass doors, and you can put them away in summer and put plants or something in your fireplace. We always put birch logs in the fireplace off season.

• mdrive
    11 years ago

bummer that you no longer have the original screen....we have one almost identical and we painted the frame black, with only the touch of brass on the glass itself ....while i really like the brass button screen...i agree with the suggestion for glass doors....

we recently painted the board and batten surround on our fireplace and we removed the glass screen and i was amazed at the amount of heat that was rolling in from the fireplace opening

your mirror is just fabulous....would you mind sourcing it here? i've been in the market for one for months now and can't quite find the right size and style

• newhomeowner2011a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We already gave the other one away - or rather the trash guys eventually picked it up after no one wanted it on the curb ;)

BTW, the fireplace is in the front room which also happens to be our only dining spot in our home so we eat in here all the time. We don't have a formal living or dining space. While I have more formal decor (think lots of ball and claw and some Baker furniture), I think the (lovely) screen pictured above might be too fancy (though would be great if it was for a fireplace in either a formal dining or living area)!

And unfortunately, my budget is more along the $150 range. The RH one (WAY out of my budget) is completely screened in which I'm not sure I like since our fireplace opening is only as large as the doors on the Sears model (ending in "7". I found that same one on another website (same model number) and it said "Door measures 32.5" Wide x 26" High" Again, the opening on my fireplace is 42 1/4" wide by 25" wide so the doors on this one would be slightly larger than the entire opening of mine.

And sujar, I looked at the glass ones you mentioned on HD's website but they are also too big though I like one of them in particular (but didn't come in black either...).

I think I need to find a local shop and look around in person to see them in person!

• nanny2a
    11 years ago

We found the perfect firescreen for our home at Plough and Hearth. It fits into our fireplace opening perfectly and does not allow for any sparks to escape. You might find something there that would work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fitted screens

• natal
    11 years ago

I like the ones Nanny linked.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes, that Plow and Hearth one looks very nice, and I like the idea of glass more than mesh, to balance the sparkle of your mirror.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Actually I almost bought that P&H one until I read a review that pointed out that it is SCREEN not glass, the glass is only in the border. I emailed them and they verified this. I wanted glass doors and I think glass around a screen would look odd in real life.

• newhomeowner2011a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks desert_solitaire! The mirror source: hand-me-down from grandmother :)

bronwynsmom - that is the one my mom was suggesting we check out.

I like the one you suggested nanny2a.

Again, just wishing we could see these in person before ordering!!

With little kids, I'm not sure how much we'll be using the fireplace - for now, I just want it to look nice!

• mdrive
    11 years ago

omigosh! what a fantastic hand me down! just beautiful!

please post when you decide on a screen....the fireplace is quite lovely....

still can't get over the mirror....it's to die for

:)

• shopchimney
    11 years ago

I think the Woodfield Mission screen looks great and will work well with the squares you have throughout your house. You can even find it for less if you check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodfield Mission Style Vintage Iron Fireplace Screen