Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19692983

Link to help you find color for in and outside of your home.

User
13 years ago

casey nfld over on the kitchen table forum linked this awesome site as the site of the day. With all the color help asked for over here I thought it would be something I should share here too.

I'm very curious what our own funcolors thinks of it.

Here's what it did with a photo I took and edited...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictaculous

Comments (9)

• daisymc
    13 years ago

Thanks for the site. I just tried it with my living room, and it came up with the same accent colors I am using. I looked for the app on my iphone but it doesnt come up.
    Great source.
    daisy

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad you liked it Daisy. Nice to know you picked the right colors, isn't it?

• calirose
    13 years ago

Thanks! Going to try it out.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Kuler and Colourlovers are both very fun to play with. I like Kuler in particular.

Whenever people get engaged and play with color, experiment with color, it can't be a bad thing!

Did a podcast not too long about about how to use those apps and visualizer programs. There are some things to watch out for, but you guys all know that drill already. i.e. Color on a monitor (big or small) is for inspiration only. Serious color stuff has to be done with your hands and your eyeballs.

But, yeah, last time on was on Kuler I hopped on there at noon just for something fun to do while I ate a sandwich. Next thing I knew it was 1:30pm!!! And I still had a few potato chips left on my plate. Talk about gettin' lost off in color world -- or I guess it was "Kuler" world... :~D

• Jody
    13 years ago

I uploaded a picture of my house; but can't figure out what to do with it!!1 Did I do something wrong???

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Hey Becky...thanks for the link, that is great. It is good to know how you can move out of the box if you want too...LOL.

Funcolor, too bad we can't get true colors on monitors...there's an app that needs to be developed. ;~]

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

That site is addicting! Thanks jgtbm!

• leahcate
    13 years ago

Dear justgota, am sure it's an interesting site and I will have a look....after I tell you how drop-dead gorgeous your photo is!!!! Is that your work? I am a tree freak and I would treasure that work of art! Wow, wow, wow!! Have you done others like it? Beautiful!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Vamp, I don't think we'll see it in our lifetime. The qualities of color on a monitor happen because of an emitted light source. The color of paint chips and painted walls hit our eyeballs and registers as color because of the light that reflects off of those surfaces.

It's a huge gap spanning physics, chemistry, and maybe even physio/psychological factors that technology would have to bridge. I think the closest we're going to get is massive, cross-platform, calibration. Meaning I think it is realistic to believe that we can get to the point that we are all viewing on our monitors what is technically, measurably the same color.

Whether we could all agree that it is indeed the same color is where those physio/psychological factors come into play.

Perhaps the future holds color acuity profiles that work in tandem with ICC profiles (profiles you make for you computer with the objective of color constancy).

We could let justgotabme, justgotab herself all she wants to thanks to her personalized color acuity profile. On my end I could see the color the same way she does and compare it to my own color acuity profile. I could see how it differs. How it's similar. I could then structure a vocabulary to 'speak color' in a way that is unique and custom for justgota.

Her color acuity might be identical or very similar to a majority of the population -- or not. Custom color acuity profiles built into each platform means it doesn't matter how other people process the sensation of color.

In a sense could say we are all color blind. At the same time, in a sense, we all have extraordinary color acuity and sensitivity. Either way or both ways, it only comes in to question when our personal perceptions of color are put in the position where they have to be shared with other beings who too experience color as a sensation --- and can describe that sensation --- and argue it.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida