Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raineygirl_gw

Need advice for tile around fireplace

raineygirl
11 years ago

hello,

I've been posting under flooring and have decided to post here as I need some advice on what kind [color & tile] I should replace the old tile with. I thought of black galaxy granite to match my counter tops. I live in a 2nd floor condo and am taking up the carpet and tile in the sunroom/foyer area and around the fireplace. It's time to replace the carpet [18 yrs old] and was skeptical at first because I live over somebody but then after talking to my neighbors, it seems that everybody is replacing carpet with hardwood/laminate flooring. I was thinking that maybe I could find a small slab of leftover black galaxy granite to use for the fireplace and in front of it. My floors are going to be in the mid range of brownish color [walnut] I don't want too light or too dark. [been looking at Bruce Fruitwood spice]

This is a real challenge for me as there are so many choices out there! Not 3 or 4 but like 20-25!! Makes it difficult as I need others' opinions. So, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend top dollar!! This is a condo albeit it is my home:)

Comments (8)

• peachiepie
    11 years ago

Do you have a picture of the fireplace? Hard to recommend with no visual.

Peachie

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

If you put in laminate or hard floor, invest in a good quality sound attenuating underlayment. It will not only make your downstairs neighbors happy, it makes the floor feel and sound much better quality!

As for the tile, can you post some pictures?

• raineygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about that. I thought I had uploaded the picture:) I plan on getting the best that goes underneath the laminate flooring. Not sure what it's called but I'll ask for it. Any advice on the fireplace tile?

• raineygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's another angle of my fireplace and tiled sunroom and foyer. I hear this is a messy job [removing tile] and that dust gets everywhere!

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I just put cultured stone and I think it would be awesome to have the stone wrapped around like you fireplace wraps. Here's mine:

It's Bucks County ledge stone. The greys would blend well with your existing flooring. Here is a close up of the stone (as shown in showroom). There are many different colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cultured Stone

• raineygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks dilly! That's beautiful and that has certainly giving me another idea. I never thought of using stone. I live in a condo and didn't want to spend top dollar for this but I think that is an excellent idea. Question: how does it look if the stone doesn't bump up against the end of a wall? Like the sides of your stone? I wouldn't be doing it to the top where it reaches the ceiling...so was wondering how it would look if its not flat against the wall?
    Also, I'm taking up the tile in the sunroom. Putting down laminate flooring. Thanks for the idea!

• raineygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks dilly! That's beautiful and that has certainly giving me another idea. I never thought of using stone. I live in a condo and didn't want to spend top dollar for this but I think that is an excellent idea. Question: how does it look if the stone doesn't bump up against the end of a wall? Like the sides of your stone? I wouldn't be doing it to the top where it reaches the ceiling...so was wondering how it would look if its not flat against the wall?
    Also, I'm taking up the tile in the sunroom. Putting down laminate flooring. Thanks for the idea!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I think black would be too dark with the darker floors, but the existing grey will be too cool. Perhaps a more brown tone?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH