Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

WDYT of this mirror? (pics)

lauren0319
11 years ago

It's been over a year and I'm finally back to put the finishing touches on our master. (In my defense, we had a darling baby girl who is growing WAY too fast and nearly 1 year old!) :)

Here is an old link to give you an idea of what our master looks like. At the very end, you'll see that we decided on some West Elm curtains and are VERY pleased with our decision. I still have nothing on the walls but will be changing that stat, with your help I hope :)

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg080947182793.html

I purchased this mirror for $79 at HomeGoods.... I wish it was a tad bigger, but overall, it's the look I think I'm going for. Obviously, it will be hung. I currently have it resting on a towel.

I'm also open to any additional advice to give this room the finishing touches it needs.

WDYT? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: GW link with Bedroom pics

Comments (29)

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are the other two I came home with.
    I think this one it too small.

And this one is almost the right size, almost too big! This is my husband's fav. It is very masculine, which is NOT the look I am going for.

My MIL has been helping me. Her choice is the first one and I will fully admit, she has better taste than I do :) (with decorating, anyway!!)

She thinks the third is just too massive, especially compared with the triple dresser.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I like the first one also but I would hang it vertical with a tallish lamp on one side of your dresser and something medium on the other side. That will give your dresser some height.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Like your DH, I prefer the third one. That's a heavy piece of furniture below the mirror and the other 2 mirrors just look too delicate, IMO.

Since you feel it's too masculine, you can feminize it with accessories (candle sticks, lamp, topiary, vases) on the dresser.

Hang the first mirror and then take an overall pic. Maybe I can be persuaded. ;)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

A hint for hanging mirrors...they should be wired below the center point of the mirror. That way when they are hung, they tilt slightly downward and reflect the room. If hung with the wire above the center, as most are, they tilt upward and all they reflect is the ceiling, which, unless it's the cistene chapel, is not so nice.

• SheetalN
    11 years ago

Hi Lauren,
    I have to say I agree with your husband's choice. It's the right mirror for that chest of drawers - and it's a beautiful mirror. The first choice, if you do decide to go with that one, I would definitely hang vertically. The third mirror is really nice if you wanted that space to be the focal point (in my opinion), but that wouldn't be the ideal focal point for your bedroom. See the link to see what I mean about how the third mirror would work better as a focal point. It's actually my bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: [My bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bedroom-with-blue-accents-contemporary-bedroom-toronto-phvw-vp~1169471)

• msrose
    11 years ago

The 3rd one isn't feminine enough for me. I like both 1 and 2.

• les917
    11 years ago

Sorry, I am with your husband on this. I don't think that mirror is masculine, though. I think it is classic and elegant in feel. The other two mirrors seem 'of the moment', and certainly not big enough to hang over the very substantial furniture you have.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

The scale of the third one is best to me, but it's too blah for what you wanted. I think you will be disappointed whenever you look at it.

I think the first one would be great if only it would be larger. I like it being oval rather than round, given the shape of the dresser

Here is a link that might be useful: is the HG a copy of this one?

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I side with your husband, I don't care for the curly girly ones.

• beeps
    11 years ago

A word of warning... =) I hang things oddly, and asymmetrically, almost always. So, here is an odd suggestion.

You like the first mirror, you MIL who has good decorating taste likes the first. So, I'd hang it vertically and have the edge almost align with the edge of the dresser, maybe 4-5 inches inside the edge of the dresser. Totally not centered and clearly not just missing center by a hair as if you just made a mistake. Clearly off-center. Then I think the scale is actually very good. And, I'd balance it with something (or a few things) on the dresser on the other side, be it a small lamp, a picture in a frame, whatever. I think that would look pretty good, but again, I hang things in unexpected ways. I like that look and think it makes things more interesting. Just my thought....

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol beeps- my MIL suggested the same thing. IF I keep the first mirror, I am not opposed to hanging to the side.... i took a pic- below. However, not sure what to put on the other side... I really don't want a lamp bc it's just not needed there, at all, and really would never be turned on.
    I am really leaning toward something that is at least a little feminine.

Some measurements- The large round mirror is 36" in diameter. I think that's a good size.... do you agree?

The oval mirror is 27" x 34"

This Z Gallarie mirror that was kindly posted about is 33" x 36"... so the right height. Just REALLY expensive. I really like the look.... just wish it had more silver tones.

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-12314-marrakesh-oval-mirror.aspx

I also really like this one from overstock... and the price is good. It is 36"

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Adriano-Silver-Wall-Mirror/5112997/product.html

Here is the first mirror, hung vertically and then on center.

Thoughts?

One additional measurement. the chest is 45" tall x 52" wide. It's a beast ;) Hubby picked out and loves this massive furniture. I just want to keep it calm and elegant with a feminine touch.

I think I might be leaning toward the one from overstock... I just hate buying online!!! I willclicky link it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror from Overstock- $136.99

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol beeps- my MIL suggested the same thing. IF I keep the first mirror, I am not opposed to hanging to the side.... i took a pic- below. However, not sure what to put on the other side... I really don't want a lamp bc it's just not needed there, at all, and really would never be turned on.
    I am really leaning toward something that is at least a little feminine.

Some measurements- The large round mirror is 36" in diameter. I think that's a good size.... do you agree?

The oval mirror is 27" x 34"

This Z Gallarie mirror that was kindly posted about is 33" x 36"... so the right height. Just REALLY expensive. I really like the look.... just wish it had more silver tones.

http://www.zgallerie.com/p-12314-marrakesh-oval-mirror.aspx

I also really like this one from overstock... and the price is good. It is 36"

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Adriano-Silver-Wall-Mirror/5112997/product.html

Here is the first mirror, hung vertically and then on center.

Thoughts?

One additional measurement. the chest is 45" tall x 52" wide. It's a beast ;) Hubby picked out and loves this massive furniture. I just want to keep it calm and elegant with a feminine touch.

I think I might be leaning toward the one from overstock... I just hate buying online!!! I willclicky link it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror from Overstock- $136.99

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooops- not sure why it posted twice. Here is another mirror from overstock... right size and price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror from Overstock- $128.99

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I like #1 and #3. I think the size of #3 definitely works better, but stylistically I like #1 better. I think you could easily go with #1 vertically. Personally I would like it best centered with some things on either side (like your cute statue, etc).

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone care to click on the first overstock link- the mirror that is $136.99. I would love your thoughts!!! I am so tempted to order given the dimensions :) I just need someone to hold my hand :)

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

I guess this would be #4

And #5

• User
    11 years ago

I like the one your husband picked, and don't think it is in the least masculine. Would also suggest you hang your flatscreen tv instead of sitting it on the dresser.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I also prefer the one your DH likes. The Overstock one you like is made of poly-something, an automatic disqualification for me. If you read the reviews, one of the reviews mentioned it was made cheaply, and was very lightweight.

Dee

• beeps
    11 years ago

Are you looking for silver or gold or does it matter? The reviews on the two from O both say they are gold/have gold on them in person. Can't figure out where it is in the last photo but apparently it is there. The first two you got look silver to me. The third brass but hard to tell in photo.

Also, are you going for blingy? More contemporary? More masculine (for lack of a better descriptor)? You have a lot of different looks going on in the different mirrors.

I'm not in love with the ones from O. Sorry. The first is apparently an antique gold in person, and it seems like you are going more for silver. Besides which, the decorative stuff on the ends bugs me. But, I go for more contemporary things with cleaner lines. Which brings me to the other O option, which I think is too harsh/square/clean lines for your space. With your bed and such I'd go with something a little softer. That's pretty massive furniture in a very dark color. Very pretty, but I'd be doing something to make the space softer - like you have done with your bedding. And this leads me back to your first choice. =) Although I tend not to be very blingy, I think you need something blingy and "pretty" in the space.

If you put that mirror off center I'd probably do a vase or something pretty on the other side to balance it out like you have shown. Maybe get a vase or cool piece of glass to match... didn't I see a light blue pillow or something? Home Goods has awesome glass for a steal. Not sure which side I would put the mirror on...

And I know you said you hate to shop online. It's about the only place I shop so I wouldn't let that scare you off. Just read the reviews when they are available. I've gotten some great stuff from O and a not-so-great item or two also but it's pretty easy to return things.

Just looked at O quickly... nothing jumped out at me. Except maybe this one because the blue might work, it is softer, and it brings some color into the room.

• beeps
    11 years ago

And have you checked out Lamps Plus? They seem to have a lot of pretty mirrors sometimes.

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for all your thoughts!!! And thank you forboystoo for posting the pics. I just figured out how to do that!! WooHoo :)

I am still very torn. I feel like mirror #3 was made for our furniture. It really does match the chest and the massiveness of the pieces perfectly. However, it's just not the look I am going for, at all. I want something "daintier" if that makes sense. Something a little more interesting.

Lamps Plus has several that I like.... but they are all ~$200-300, which is fine as long as it's perfect!!!!

As far at metal tones in the room, the only metal are our lamps which are mainly silver with a touch of gold coming through.

I like this one from Lamps Plus but it's $300...

This one is also nice but is $230....

I keep going back to the one from overstock. It's the same price as #3... has anyone ever returned to overstock? I'm wondering if it's a pain... Lamps Plus has the exact same mirror for $300... don't you think it's the same? LINK below

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus Mirror, 36

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I think I am leaning toward this one. I do like the clean lines. It's the right size.... but a bit expensive. With coupons and ebates, It will be closer to $280.

I can also see where this is very trendy, which is not necessarily a good thing. WDYT? And if you still like #3, speak up! I can be persuaded :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror- lamps plus $299

• annzgw
    11 years ago

After close inspection of the mirrors, I tend to favor this mirror simply because it has more small mirrors and the style would bring a softness to your room with its wood-carved look. But, as you can see, the frame is definitely more bronze toned vs silver. I'm not sure how the color would work in your room.

The following mirror is definitely more contemporary looking, has fewer small mirrors and has a metal vs wood look.
    It's a tough call and I would spend more time looking before diving in! Read all of Overstock return policies. They will charge a restocking/return fee if the item is opened and used and you will have to pay the return shipping. I don't know if you've shipped much lately, but I'm selling on ebay and just to ship a pair of shoes is $10. The mirror will cost you much more to return.
    Do you have a LampsPlus in your area?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

I believe the one your husband prefers has the best look for your room.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

FWIW I like the third one, that your husband likes. I think it is much classier than the other two.

The "bling" wall decor already feels dated to me, maybe because everyone seems to be selling it.

I do think that first one will fit nicely if you go with the proposed off center vertical hanging. Love the bedroom btw!

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I prefer your husband's pick. The dainty look you're going for is just not compatible with your heavy, massive furniture.

• kathy77
    11 years ago

I like #3. I think it's classy, not necessarily masculine. The others look trendy and cheap to me. Tell hubby he got his choice on the mirror and you get to choose the other accessories.

• Auroras_Envy
    11 years ago

Sorry, but I also have to agree with your husband. I like the first one, but I just think it is going to be too small no matter what you do. I agree with what k9arlene said about the dainty not going with the masculine furniture.

That being said, you could balance out the masculine/feminine with all the small touches (art on the wall, candlesticks, etc.)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'm in the DH camp, too - the big round mirror balances the chest better, and reads more like a window, which is nice for that wall.

I also agree that hanging the television is a good idea, if you can.