Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Wallpaper Chosen for Downstairs Bath

User
9 years ago

It is a Thibaut paper called Arlington, part of their River Road collection, in straw. It is a large scale print with a background that is a lighter hue of the 8 ft antique Swedish bench on the long wall.

Have decided to paint the arched opening around the tub/shower same color as paneled tub surround (to avoid papering an arch, for some reason that bothers me).

I asked about hanging an antique window above the bench but ID is opposed as he generally dislikes that look---and to be fair, it's not really "my" look either, but the room is huge and windowless so we're trying to find something for it.

Six inch view:

27" View:

In a room:

On my bench

Possible fabric for long cushion:
Long shot, you can see the scale of the print but color not right:

Closer, better color:

Still looking for fabric possibilities for the cushion, but there's something very appealing about the one pictured, more in person I admit!

The shower curtain is being made of the brushed cotton canvas from PB; it is a tad more gold IRL and will have two green bands along the bottom of the curtain in the same fabric as pillows in other room:

Comments (20)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Love the wallpaper with the bench. Maybe a collection of mirrors on the wall? Been done, but it works.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am still looking for an arched salvaged window to put on that wall with mirrors replacing the glass.... if I found something perfect and large (must be at least 4 feet wide) I think ID would agree.

Unfortunately the fabric doesn't show up well in the photos, still undecided about it though.

I thought we would have to repaint the vanity in BM currant red for the wallpaper, but the orangey tone of existing color looks weirdly ok with the paper.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

I love the paper, love the fabric! I am excited to see the post-photos! I am sure you could find a great, large scale mirror, but perhaps you could find a group of three botanicals - maybe Audubon bird prints or something like that?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Marina, it would def have to be something LARGE because the wallpaper has a fairly large repeat. It looks super busy but I think in our setting it will sort of fade into the background.... it looks wonderful with the brick floors.

I am hoping to find something a little bit different for that wall and it just hasn't hit me yet. However, I have no doubt that something will hit ID fairly soon :)

• deegw
    9 years ago

kswl - I was just thinking of your basement last night. DD has an internship in ATL this summer and asked if she could bring some friends home for the 4th. Last night we got a count - 10 people!

I have no idea where we are going to put them. While I was having a mild panic attack, your lovely spacious basement crossed my mind. Your space is an ideal spot for a horde of young people.

Your new decorating choices look great.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Deee, our youngest son in college is one of the reasons for those daybeds! At this stage in our lives we don't need more bedrooms, but we often need more beds. Added to the two sofas downstairs, we suddenly have room for four people up all night playing video games and watching movies :-)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You have really done an amazing job at finding textiles in those colors. Do you have billions of samples all over the place?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My secret weapon is a really excellent interior designer :-)

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirror -- hang horizontally?

• teacats
    9 years ago

Or this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn -- mirror

• teacats
    9 years ago

a mirror in the opposite direction ..... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus -- tall Uttermost mirror

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for those links, teacats! The second mirror is more what I had in mind, but ideally I would like it in a fanlight and vintage or antique. There is actually a salvage place in our town and I am going tomorrow to look at what they have, and there are several places in Atlanta.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Antiqued -- and a fanlight! :)

And on sale! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: PB -- Arched Door Mirror

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was thinking of the transom part only, like this one below. It has to be fairly large because the wall is 12 feet long. This one is $1500 and is in Maine, so shipping would be a bear, plus the mirrored glass for it. And painting. This one is 28" by almost 72"

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Exquisite choice as always!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL. the one you posted would be amazing. The shipping might not be as high as you think. I suppose I am an enabler but honestly everything else is so gorgeous and this fits so beautifully that it would be worth the expense.

Can you have the silvering on the mirrored glass antiqued as well? I love that you have used antique pieces in your space. I think they always add so much character and charm.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

This can't compare to the condition and beauty of the one you found nor is it as long and also appears way too deep but I am sure you will find just the right thing if you don't purchase the other one.

DH and I were antiquing several months ago and our architectural warehouse had some amazing pediments that I thought would look wonderful at the peaks of our walls in the living room.

Here is a link that might be useful: antique window

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love that one, Holly-kay!! I emailed it to ID to look at, he had said we needed a REALLY big one, but I am thinking that the depth of the one you linked might make up in heft for the width. Thank you!!

Joanie, thank you :)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally, a picture of the wallpaper and fabric together. They are perfect! Ordering the cushion today!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

KSWL, so glad that you liked the window. The price was great too.

Your new fabric is perfect!!! It has been so much fun watching everything come together.