Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danlan_gw

Curb Appeal Paint Help

danlan
14 years ago

My dh and I have been struggling with a new color for our house. It has not been painted in 13 years, and really needs it. I am lucky that my husband makes paint for a living (they actually start with the raw materials, mix them together, can and label the paint), so he has been making all these colors for me. But I can not make up my mind. My house now has different patches of color everywhere, so it really looks bad. We started with greens, then light blues, and now I am onto browns. I think a nice cocoa brown might look good, with beige and pale yellow accents. I am always in awe of how much talent has here (I have no talent for this whatsoever). Can anyone help out and doctor these house photos up for me? I am not married to any color, really. Never posted a pic before - hope I did it right. Thank you so much.

Danielle

Comments (14)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Your pictures are not showing up.

• teedup1
    14 years ago

Your pictures show up just fine for me.

Nice, nice looking house in the blue and while colors as it is now!

• DLM2000-GW
    14 years ago

What a beautiful house! You could go in so many different directions - your roof appears to be a light gray without any blue in it so almost anything would work and your trim will look fresh and crisp.

With the cocoa brown you are considering, where would you use the beige and yellow? - that I'm not feeling so much but maybe you have a plan that will make it work.

Also, can you tell me what the brown(ish) strip is beneath each window? Is that just unpainted wood on each sill?

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

The pictures show up for me, but they are too big for my screen. Maybe you can resize the pics.

• mjlb
    14 years ago

Beautiful house! I even like the color as it is. But it is hard for me to see the test colors due to the porch shade. You might get a better look at the color if you test it where it will not be in the shade.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I can paint it for you. I assume that the columns and railing will remain white? You don't have any preference for a color at all? Depends on your neighborhood, but pink could be fun. :)

Also didn't know if the diamond shaped accessory was special and a keeper, but I removed it for painting. If you want to keep it, I can leave it in.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Here's a pink example - just for fun. :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Here's a rainbow of hues plus a few other colors.

I'm sure you know that monitor color isn't like paint color. So the hue/color names
    used are just lables.

ÂLeft the windows and all trim white.
    ÂPainted the block foundation.
    ÂPainted porch ceiling blue.

Red

Orange

Yellow

Green

Blue

Indigo (or periwinkle)

Putty

Olive Green

Blue Green

Bronzed Gold

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Yes, beautiful house! I really like the darker blue-green.

Beautiful work, FunColors!

• stbonner
    14 years ago

What an adorable house! I like the new blue and the blue-green best.

• danlan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the mock ups and the compliments. I love this house. My husband is in the process of stripping the paint around the door in anticipation of the new paint job . The pain was all alligatored and looked bad.

Funcolors - thank you for all the color examples. This will definetly help. When my husband saw them - all he could say was "WOW! That's our house? How'd they do that?" So, thank you again.

dlm2000 - The brown I was thinking of was was SW 7502 Drydock. Trim in a yellowish/cream, with a darker color across the bottom of the windows would be a darker shade of ??? But now that I have see FunColors mock ups, I really liked the Olive Green and the Bronzed Gold.

Last week, the son of the woman we bought it from stopped by. He said his mom would be thrilled with what we have done with the house (she raised 6 children in this home and lived here for 49 years - she is 89 now). Sadly, I don't have the eye that is needed to decorate it - which is why I always lurk here. You all have such amazing vision - I keep hoping it will rub off! Thank you so much.

• msrose
    14 years ago

Great job funcolors!

danlan - What about Compatible Cream like Zipdee used on her house.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Zipdee's house

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I like the idea of a color like Drydock for its depth and colorfulness and not-so-traditional slant for the house. But Drydock could easily turn a pinkish taupe depending on base, colorant, the hand that mixes it. Juxtaposed to a yellowish-cream trim the color harmony just isn't there whether the mix comes out looking exactly like the chip or whether it ends up with that surprising pink undertone that I see Drydock having the potential to turn towards.

The thing you have to look at with your house is the direction of the material on the body. It runs vertical. My guess is odds are pretty good that those are asbestos shingles. Since your DH knows paint, I'm sure he knows what to do about old layers of lead paint and asbestos on an old house if indeed that's what you have to work with.

The direction of the body material matters as fas as which colors it can wear best. There are certain color characteristics that are best suited to horizontal and vertical. Horizontal is more traditional and can wear lighter, paler, pastel colors very well. Like light begies, creams, buttercream yellows, wasabi greens. Vertical is by default more contemporary and literally is a different twist on business as usual siding. Vertical carries more drama or unique curb appeal personality because of its direction and, therefore, it can wear more dramatic, contemporary, colorful color. Like red, gold, olive green. I think that's evident in the virtuals above i.e. the putty is an awful pairing with the house/siding. All the other colors that are more colorful and a bit bolder just look better, IMO, because of the style of the house but also because of the vertical orientation of the shingled body.

The Bronze Gold virtual color could translate to an in-real-life paint color along the lines of BenM Jamesboro Gold, BenM Livingston Gold, SW Relic Gold, SW Roycroft Brass. That's the kind of color I had in mind when I was painting. Pinks, magentas, citrusy greens could be nice accent colors.

Olive Green is a good option too. Purples could be your punch color in plants, porch accessories, etc. Some good olive exterior colors are: SW Messenger Bag, SW Avacado, SW Mossy Gold, BenM Weathersfield Moss.

SW's Creamy or Dover White could work as trim colors with the olives and the golds as well as fit with your original thoughts of a warmer, creamier trim color.

• melanie1121
    14 years ago

A beautiful home!

Funcolors the transformations you did were amazing! Especially the blue porch ceiling.

I liked them all!

Please post what you finally chose. Good Luck

Melanie1121

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional