Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaara10

Getting paint out of carpet?

zaara10
12 years ago

i posted this in the paint forum w/ not much response, so i thought i'd ask here...

The painters left behind a stain from the bottom of a paint can in my MB :( How can i get it out w/o damaging the carpet? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• bestyears
    12 years ago

There are some "Getting Dried Latex Paint Out" products at both Home Depot and Lowe's. Have used some with decent success.... Don't do what I did one time -used paint thinner.... now have a big hole....

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

We had a spot of cream paint left on a green wall to wall. Woolite carpet cleaner didn't do anything. I heard good reviews about Spot Spot - bought it at the grocery store and it removed the paint. It's made by the WD 40 company.

• roarah
    12 years ago

Wow I think that should be covered by the painters! Have you notified them of their mistake? I hope it can be fixed. Good luck.

• lindac
    12 years ago

And the method for removing dry oil/alkyde paint is different....and less successful.
    I would call the painters, tell them of their gaffe then hire a professional....and if he goofs and you need new carpet it's on their bill!!
    Linda c

• itltrot
    12 years ago

Spot Shot. You can buy it Lowes, Walmart, Sams, just about anywhere. My dog was kind enough to step in a paint tray and walk around my bedroom. Blue paw prints on my white carpet. Spot shot got it out no problem. I've used it for grease, pop, koolaid, just about everything.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

lindac is correct. Find out what type of paint it is first if you're going to attempt cleaning it yourself, but do a test in a hidden corner, such as a closet, in case the cleaner damages your carpet.
    But as she said, they're responsible for the repair.

If you have any old carpet stashed away somewhere a carpet layer can easily replace the damaged area.

• moonshadow
    12 years ago

Agree with contacting the painter first. That was a careless move & they should have known better.

A tip an art teacher once taught us: if it's latex (water based) used rubbing alcohol on a q-tip. Don't saturate the q-tip, get it wet but not dripping. The alcohol will start to soften and lift the paint after it's been in contact for a minute or so. Don't rub like crazy to avoid smearing it around. Just keep dabbing at it, replacing with fresh q-tips as you go and it will come off. If it's a pretty good size are & not little spots, skip the q-tips and try a clean white (no dye) lint-free t-shirt or the rags made of that same material. (You can also use the rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to test to see if it's oil-based or latex. Rubbing alcohol won't dissolve oil-based. But since latex is what's primarily used indoors, the rubbing alcohol should work.) Oh, and since I learned this tip, I also learned there are often two strengths of RA sold. I buy & keep on hand a bottle with the higher alcohol content.

• msgatorslayer
    12 years ago

You need some "Awesome Cleaner' for a buck, at the Dollar Tree.

A friend of mine works for Dart Paper and it's what the company recommends for ink stains. It works!

When we were paiting a few months ago, DH got teal colored paint on the brand new grey carpet. I used this cleaner on it and got the paint out with no problems.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths