scgarden111
10 years ago

how to arrange furniture

This post was edited by scgarden111 on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 13:32

Comments (34)

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

My two cents for what it is worth.

1) Move the couch to the wall the wires are on (fireplace)
    2) place the chairs opposite side by side
    Do you have a floor plug for the lamp on the side table?
    Consider placing a sofa table behind the sofa with a pair of lamps
    Where does the wall we can not see lead to? Is it solid?

• scgarden111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The wires will all be run through the walls and will not be seen. I just moved the sofa from the left wall where it was for years. Kind of want to keep it where it is not since it's new and different to me and it seems to divide the room. I will definitely be putting a sofa table behind the sofa with lamps (cord will run under the rug that I purchase). There is no wall that you can not see, the area behind the sofa is a very large foyer area and area leading to staircase. I will get a much smaller side table and will not have a lamp on the new side table.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

If possible, I would put the TV on the stand you have next to the door...(a lower stand would be better).after moving it against the wall facing the fireplace. I would put the chair by the other matching chair. That way all seated could see the TV and people on the couch could see the fireplace AND TV. Then accessorize with picture or mirror over the fireplace and etc.

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I would buy a wall mount for the TV and put both chairs together facing the TV and at a right angle to the sofa. I would use a substantial end table between the chairs or one on each side but prefer one between with the chairs angled inward.

I would wait until the furniture is chosen before buying the rug. The rug size may not be the same depending on the size and number of pieces you have in the space and the traffic paths. Don't forget to allow at least 3' for traffic to the doors.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Could you angle the sofa out from the wall so it is parallel to the tv? That way you can watch tv or flickering flames without craning your necks. Put a round table behind it to fill the triangle space, with a table lamp etc. Then group the wingbacks around the coffee table as needed for conversation or SuperBowl watching. You could play with the rug, having it squared to the room or to the sofa.

The chest with the tall lamps on it is a lovely vignette.

• stolenidentity
    10 years ago

ditto bpathome. That is what I would do, too. I would just have one sofa and a couple of chairs and not not too big to move around as needed. What a nice room you have, the couch is great.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Right now you can seat 4 people in that room, chat and watch TV. Do you ever want to seat more than four? Do something that requires a table? Read a book or chat on the phone away from the racket while DH watches drag races?

"Floating" furniture is just one way of arranging it. Floating has a specific effect, but it's hardly the only good style. What it is is drearily hackneyed because for some years now it's been terribly overdone, often ridiculously inappropriately. I actually winced when I saw your pictures with more of the same.

Do you know, people, abetted by recommendations and compliments on this forum, have actually "floated" couches in rooms so small that they're facing a fireplace 5' away, with arm chairs squeezed in willy nilly? Really.

My suggestion is that you make a list of ALL the different ways you want to live in that room, decide what furniture you'll need, tables, lamps, storage (a special low chair for grandma, chair in a corner for quiet Uncle Edward, even if they do only visit a few times a year?) the whole enchilada, THEN start arranging. If the list has just one item--watching TV, then plan to float the furniture to fill up the room a bit. But I really suspect you'll need more.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Have you considered a sectional sofa with the shorter side placed against the wall opposite the television?

• pps7
    10 years ago

I would try the tv next to the fireplace and move the sofa so that it is facing the tv.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Regarding the floating furniture, there are rooms for it and IMO, your room is not one - at least not all the furniture. Your room looks a bit small for it. I like the idea of the sofa parallel to the FP and tv, if it doesn't take up too much space.

I'd put the sofa against the wall opposite the wire wall rather than on the wire wall, because it would be easier to see the tv from there. If you did that, you could angle at least one chair so it faced the tv and maybe both chairs. That would be nice if you sat in the chairs to watch tv. So your sofa would be against the wall and the rest floating.

Full disclaimer here: I do have all my family room furniture floating, but it's because 1) my room is large enough that it looks like people sitting on each end need megaphones to talk to each other, and 2) I have windows on 3 walls and can't get to them if furniture is against them.

• Shannon01
    10 years ago

It would be really helpful to see the room from the French doors. And know from what part of the room does traffic come from to use the doors.

I would literally pivot your arrangement clockwise so that the sofa is across room from tv/fireplace. You could float the rug under the arrangement at the same angle.

From the pics it looks like you have main staircase ending on the left of picture. Natural path to those door would be from there. By pivoting furniture it will allow you to have a path to door.

I also see to the right what appears to be an opening to maybe the kitchen?? Coming from that opening into your livingroom you would come up to the back of sofa. I would put a sofa table behind sofa.

I have a long livingroom and pivoted my furniture and get lots of compliments.

• scgarden111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took advice from several suggestions on here and rearranged the furniture.

This post was edited by scgarden111 on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 13:34

• scgarden111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.

This post was edited by scgarden111 on Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 13:35

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Are you able to bring that lonely chair into the seating group by either placing it in an L on that side of the sofa or side by side with it's sister?

Also, you can try that side table between the sofa and chair so people on both sides can use the surface.

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

Honestly, I liked it best when you had the sofa facing the french doors. This is a hard room to arrange, because the fireplace is angled & you really only have two walls for furniture.

If you kept the sofa angled, you could put the chair where the chest is now, angled in to face center of room, and other chair close to FP, also angled to face sofa. If this is to be primarily your main living space where you watch tv, perhaps a sectional along the left wall, so that you have less furniture, but larger scale. You could then use a round low coffee table. You could keep the chest you have by the french doors for lighting for that end of the sectional, and use either a sofa table or a narrow end table next to the end of the sectional where it juts into the room. If you got a sofa table, perhaps two ottomans or benches for extra seating could sit under it & be pulled out as necessary.

Decide how much seating you want on a daily basis, and how the room will be used & go from there. I do like your existing furniture pieces, btw!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Lizzie's last advice is for the ages, but actually I do like it and think it's a very good start. I particularly like that it's open and welcoming to those from the entry side, as well as the tendency toward a loose, casual arrangement. This isn't strictly the usual either, which I don't mind at all. :)

There is room for another chair or two, which would help it all pull together. Lamps, tables, chest, TV? What other pieces or functions are you thinking of adding?

• ellendi
    10 years ago

My vote is for the first picture, but instead of having the wing chairs facing each other, have them angled in to face the sofa. I would move it further in to the room.
    I really don't like the sofa angled. It seems like it should be a solution but it looks awkward to me.
    Think of your fireplace as a feature in the room rather than a focal point. Basically, ignore it.
    i don't think I have ever seen a corner fireplace that I liked.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Oh, good, the angled sofa works! Now, because there are so many angles going on, perhaps a round coffee table. It will soften everything, and the wing chairs (don't you just love wing chairs!) can move around it, and people can move in and out of the seating without banging shins on the corners.

On the wall next to the fireplace, can you mount some display ledges? They wouldn't take up much space, and you could have some nice "objets" and artwork. Or, does the piano work over there?

• amykath
    10 years ago

I have read in the past to angle your sofa towards the fireplace.

I think first, you need an area rug to break up all of the similar colors in the room (couch, wooden pieces, flooring etc.

I also think that the sofa table needs some more weight, maybe add some baskets or something under it so it does not look like it is floating.

I also agree with a round coffee table to soften things up and an extra chair.

I also noticed you do not have any art on the walls. I would start finding pieces I like to add depth and some color to your walls.

Lovely room you have!!!

• amykath
    10 years ago

I am sorry just re-read your post about finding a rug. I noticed that your fp has an accent color. I might reconsider that an paint it all the same color as the rest of the walls. Also, have you considered mounting your tv? Just a thought.....

• amykath
    10 years ago

Here is a photo where the corner fireplace sits alont (sans tv) and it is on the adjacent wall. Probably not your style but a thought.

[Traditional Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2107) by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Laura Stein Interiors

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I think the angled furniture looks odd. I thought you said you were getting new furniture. If so, I would get either a sectional, two sofas or a sofa and a love seat and have the long part against the long wall opposite the fireplace and have the love seat or short part of the sectional where your sofa was originally. In other words, it would create an "L".

• Oakley
    10 years ago

A little tip on brightening your room. As our remodel and new addition was in progress I loved how bright the LR was. Our LR is very large, around 600sf. The brightness was before the floors were laid, dark wood like yours.

When the floors went in, along with plantation shutters, I couldn't believe how dark the room was, even with windows.

And because the room is so big, and we have a corner FP, we floated the furniture. I really like it floated because it gives me wall space for accent furniture.

BUT..and this is the tip/warning. Floating furniture means floating lamps. Which means no walls to bounce light off of to make the room brighter.

I have to turn lamps on in the daytime, even with sun shining through the windows. I have 5 lamps in there, and the room still has dark areas unless I turn the various ceiling lights on.

However, at night the room is extremely cozy this way.

I also agree with the others who said to take the TV off the mantel and either mount it or set it on a console. Your room is big enough, and having it off the mantel will brighten the area above the FP.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Here're some grabbed quick off a fine designers' website that aren't templates for this room but do illustrate the idea of loosening up furniture placement for living and inviting people in. There's no rule about facing a sofa to a fireplace or not, placing something diagonally or not, just as there's no rule that furniture must be placed at rigid right angles and not allowed to be angled or moved over for better conversation.

These designers charge a lot to mess furniture placement up like this. David Easton's, second below, could look as if it were going to be formal right-angle but some of the chairs aren't placed yet--but it doesn't. This designer knows how to arrange furniture for comfort AND elegance, without static rigidity.

Note that none of these arrangements present their backs or a cold shoulder to guests in the doorway. They draw people in. Not all pictures clearly illustrate that, but the designers' stature guarantee it is the case.

Also note all these arrangements include a lightweight chair or two, or more, that could be moved closer in or over for a really good coze.

• Mic686
    10 years ago

I have a big front yard close to the road, every month, some car pass by here, my fence scratched a little ,so one of my friends told me that you got some driveway marker from mrgarden.netâÂÂs and inserted the land, something will be changed, so I hear what he said, then got it and put there, yeah, thatâÂÂs a good idea.

• Mic686
    10 years ago

I have a big front yard close to the road, every month, some car pass by here, my fence scratched a little ,so one of my friends told me that you got some driveway marker from mrgarden.netâÂÂs and inserted the land, something will be changed, so I hear what he said, then got it and put there, yeah, thatâÂÂs a good idea.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

SCGarden111, what a great sport you are dealing with all these suggestions from posters.

How about we start with some real dimensions to help you determine a size for a rug? I have sketched a rough plan of your room and noted the 4 dimensions needed for the room. The rug may not end up this size or this location, but FIRST we need these dimensions to provide some concrete suggestions.

• CaroandJose
    10 years ago

This pic is from the entrance of the fron door....i have to have my dining table in the living room...since it dosent fit in the kitche and on that side of the wall where the dining table is there a open window.......as you can see its pretty small...and i want to arrange my furniture so i can separate my dinning table from my living room furniture...

• CaroandJose
    10 years ago

This pic is from coming on the entrance of the kitchen

• CaroandJose
    10 years ago

This picture is taken from the entrance of my bedroom

• CaroandJose
    10 years ago

This is the open window i was talking about

• Olychick
    10 years ago

caroandjose, you might want to start your own thread and post your questions and pictures there. Your room is quite small to try to separate the table. Is the bedroom the only bedroom? If not, would it be possible to move the dining room there? Or can you get a smaller table to fit into the eating area in the kitchen (if there is one)?

The only thing that I can see that could possibly work would be to move the tv to the left of the door, float the sofa perpendicular to the "pass through" wall and put the dining table where the couch is now. But that might be a tight fit, too.