Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

cotton blanket...a success story..

User
11 years ago

I have needed a light cotton blanket for our bed ,wanted one for years and yesterday seemed to be the day I needed to get out and walk through stores. I saw one at T J Maxx. It is a Ralph Lauren and is 100% cotton full/queen size. It was 25.00. I brought it home and washed it as directed. It says delicate and I decided to go along with that and not let it spin/wash too hard. It did take a long time to dry on the med. setting but they said not to use hot.

I have to say it is lovely. Soft and it didn't shrink at all nor is it the least bit misshapen. I am so pleased. It was perfect last night . I had the windows open and their was a light rain falling. I slept so well. So if you too are in the market for a soft beautifully made cotton blanket...check your local Tj Maxx.

As an aside Sierra Trading Post has a lot of beautiful matalasse on special right now. I have purchased it from them before and been very very pleased with the quality. c

Comments (16)

• dgranara
    11 years ago

You painted a perfect picture in my mind! Actually makes me WANT rain...and my bed! Hope I can find a blanket like yours. I was just at my local TJ's yesterday...

• tinam61
    11 years ago

We always have a cotton blanket on our bed. Never use a comforter or duvet, etc. as cover - always sheets, a cotton blanket, and for our coldest temps, a quilt or heavier blanket on top. This time of year we have cotton sheets and a lightweight cotton blanket. Winter we might actually move up to flannel sheets. LOL

You are getting some of the same rain as us Caroline - We've actually had rain every day this week so far and the last two days our high has been 80ish. Of course by the weekend we're to be about 10 degrees warmer, but we will no longer be in the red on our rainfall. Predictions this week are that corn/soybean crops may not only be at a 10-20% loss rather than 100%.

tina

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Isn't it wonderful to find the perfect bedding? I have a wonderful 100% linen blanket that I love to use for summer. It's a discontinued RLauren that I found on eBay. It says to dry clean, but I wash mine. I just have to be careful to not overdry it.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

danielle...you go on an take a look. Also at Tuesday morning as they sometimes have them...or Home Goods if there is one near you. it sure is the nicest blanket I have .

tina we are in severe drought here...this would be about the 5th year. We have had enough rain though lately that the garden looks pretty good and the lawn too . I hope that it cont. The crops in the US are really really suffering with this heat.

Fun I sure would love to find some real linen bedding. if you ever see any please shoot out a post here or an email to me and I will take a look. I haven't looked on ebay in quite a while so may give it a go. I did see some on Etsy but it is usually so pricey.

I just love my blanket though and the price was sure great !!

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

Trailrunner, There is a new membership site that has linen sheets for a semi-reasonable price. Membership is $9.99 per month and I think can be cancelled at any time. I haven't bought anything because it's not my style, but I was tempted by the linen sheets, especially because they had a one-day sale last week of $75 off any purchase. The site is called HomeMint.com and here are the sheets. The pricing shown in the picture is for queen-sized sheets.

{{!gwi}}

• Jamie
    11 years ago

I love white cotton blankets. Worn out ones are nice.

From Annie, the musical..........

ORPHANS
    It's the hard-knock life for us!
    It's the hard-knock life for us!

ANNIE
    'Steada treated,

ORPHANS
    We get tricked!

ANNIE
    'Steada kisses,

ORPHANS
    We get kicked!

ALL
    It's the hard-knock life!
    Go' no folks to speak of, so,
    It's the hard-knock row we hoe!

ANNIE
    Cotton blankets,

ORPHANS
    'Steada of wool!

ANNIE
    Empty Bellies,

ORPHANS
    'Steada of full!

ALL
    It's the hard-knock life!

ANNIE
    Don't if feel like the wind is always howlin?

KATE AND TESSIE
    Don't it seem like there's never any light!

DUFFY AND JULY
    Once a day, don't you wanna throw the towel in?
    MOLLY AND PEPPER
    It's easier than puttin' up a fight.
    ANNIE
    No one's there when your dreams at night get creepy!
    No one cares if you grow... of if you shrink!
    No one dries when your eyes get wet an' weepy!

ALL
    [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/a/annie/its_the_hard_knock_life.html ]
    From all the cryin' you would think this place's a sink!
    Ohhhh!
    Empty belly life!
    Rotten smelly life!
    Full of sorrow life!
    No tomorrow life!

MOLLY
    Santa Claus we never see
    ANNIE
    Santa Claus, what's that?
    Who's he?
    ALL
    No one cares for you a smidge
    When you're in an orphanage!

MOLLY

(Making a whistling sound and imitating Miss. Hannigan)
    You'll stay up till this dump shines like the top of the Chrysler Building

Here is a link that might be useful: Couldn't find an original - montage is ok

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you fun !! It doesn't say where those are made...may look into it though. I did see fabric on Etsy that is linen and is 110 in wide just for sheets and duvets ! It sounds lovely. I have a seamstress so may go that route.

jamies !! you are precious ...that is the truth. I wish I had the old one's my mom had when we were little...sigh. They would bring me a lot of comfort right now. Thankyou for the smile c

• mpwdmom
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I've had awful luck with blankets in recent years. Is this one a plush or thermal?

• mpwdmom
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I've had awful luck with blankets in recent years. Is this one a plush or thermal?

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Great find, Caroline! DD & I were in TJ Maxx today (as well as many other stores-LOL) and I wish I would have seen those blankets, too. DH is on a tear and is determined we need a new mattress and a good cotton blanket for these Summer months. He's right. I'll make a point to get back there next Tuesday. Thanks!
    Lynn

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mmpw: it is 100% cotton..like the old timey ones...a soft woven style.

Lynn...I hope you can find one. I am so impressed with it. I followed the inst. when washing/drying to a T and I think that has helped. I read reviews on Amazon about the ones they have and I believe washing/drying is a cause of problems if you are too harsh. It held its shape perfectly.

Good luck on the mattress thing. We returned 3 !! If you stand the new mattresses up on their sides...as in when they are being moved..you can see the guts of the mattress is very very loose. Not at all like they used to be . We were so upset with the first ones as you could see the outline of our bodies in the mattress long after we got out of bed. These were not cheap either. We finally took the advice of the salesperson and got the most firm one they make . I then got a lovely mattress cover from T J Maxx LOL...it has made all the difference. We love the new mattress. I didn't think I would but after a few nights we both decided this was the best one we have ever had. So do take a look at the extra firm when you shop..and stand the mattress up on its side :) c

• lynninnewmexico
    11 years ago

Thanks C, I'll do that.

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

( sorry for the poor grammar ! ) I am not sleeping too well and was up when I should have been sleeping. I look forward to hearing about your blanket and mattress shopping . Also wonderful good wishes to your DD ! Congratulations. c

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I have a Ralph Lauren cotton blanket on every bed in the house. We use them year round. They're the perfect weight!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

We have RL bedding in the MBR and have used one of their cotton blankets for years. I spotted 2 at Home Goods a few years ago and bought/stored for later. Love them year round!

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I just looked it up and saw those selling for $100, I wish we had a TJ Maxx in my area I want one too!