Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifisker

Paint these kitchen cabinets?

Jess TKA
11 years ago

Hello!

I'm a long-time lurker, infrequent poster. :)

We just had our offer on a house accepted so between now and the closing date, DH and I are making a list of potential improvements, prioritizing, and budgeting.

I've really always dreamed of a house with a white kitchen and white trim. This house has neither (except for the new white trim in the finished walkout lower level) and our budget won't allow for all new cabinets and trim. I'm not sure if the baseboard trim is even "substantial" enough to warrant the cost and effort of painting so maybe that has to wait until someday when we can replace it. (??) However...

DH and I are both thinking that the kitchen cabinets need *something* to break up all the wood and brighten the space. Plus, the current cabs don't really seem to coordinate well with the walnut flooring. So... we're thinking about having the kitchen cabinets painted either white or antique white. What do you all think?

Comments (63)

• mclarke
    11 years ago

Yes! Paint them! Paint them right away!!!

It's hard to see what the surface of the cabinets might be. It looks like... vertical slats? A beadboard effect?

Our previous kitchen had a slab-sided plywood island like yours. We covered it in beadboard -- which is very inexpensive -- and then painted it white to match the cabinets. Gorgeous!

This is not our island but you see the effect:

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Another one who thinks an off-white would look great. A popular color for "creamy" kitchens is SW Dover. I think I have the same granite you do and it's a perfect match. We have it all over the house also.

I love the layout of the kitchen. Lots of storage space!

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

I am a person who loves wood of every type used in every way. I cringe at the thought of painting natural wood, and have never seen a kitchen that would be better served by painting the cabinets.

Until now.

I have no idea what the builder was thinking using that utilitarian plywood. It's awful. Your floor, OTOH, is gorgeous! A nice creamy white on the cabinets will showcase the floor in the best possible way. I also vote for a warm black on the island.

Keep in mind that whatever color you paint, the lovely plywood grain will be nigh impossible to eradicate. It will be fine on the beadboard looking doors. It's the flat sides and back, especially on the island, that concern me. If it bothers you, it can be covered with 1/4" birch ply to smooth it out. Glue it on with construction adhesive, and add corner moldings to cover the edges. Easy, quick, and cheap!

• Jess TKA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, I love that it's unanimous! I'm getting really excited for the transformation now. The house closing is weeks out yet so we're going to have to decide on whether we tackle this project ourselves - which I'm sure DH will not be too excited about - or hire it out to a contractor, which would eat up a lot more of our modest home improvement budget.

Don't be too surprised if you start seeing a lot more of me around here since I have many other rooms and projects I'd like to undertake as soon as the house is officially ours. :)

Thank you all again for all your great input!

• tetrazzini
    11 years ago

Oh! I see now that it's not a woodstove! Without my glasses I thought I was seeing an enamel coated stove and stove pipe! It's hard to tell what the perimeter cabinets are made of. I assumed they were the same as the island, which doesn't look like furniture grade plywood. In any case, paint will make a big difference. If you do paint it, post a picture when you're done!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous floor! Your kitchen will be beautiful with creamy white cabinets. I'd put that right at the top of my "list" if I were you. Enjoy your new house!

BTW, replacing baseboard trim is usually a fairly easy and inexpensive DIY task (not that I've done it myself, but my husband has done it himself!) To save a step you could use pre-primed moulding. Painting it would be a snap.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I agree with painting the cabinets. They will look so much better with white or off white, and then your floors will look even better and they look great now.

• woodsy_1
    11 years ago

About that baseboard. It's easy to beef it up when you're painting it. Measure up a couple of inches from the top of the existing baseboard and attach super inexpensive screen molding to the wall. Paint the screen mold, baseboard, and the strip of wall in between them as if they were one. It really works to fool the eye into seeing a tall baseboard.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Yes, paint them and don't forget to show us when you are done. It will look fantastic!

• User
    11 years ago

The top doors are still drying I put the final coat on this morning. Here is a pic of the before kitchen
    {{!gwi}}

here is the after of the bottom corner

{{!gwi}}

• sis2two
    11 years ago

You have beautiful floors! I would paint them an antique white, not a stark white. We are having ours painted an antique white and I can't wait! That would be beautiful with those floors.

• amykath
    11 years ago

Love the floors! Love the idea of an antique white for the cabs. I think the island would look great in a rich tone as well. Maybe a dark gray/beige or a deep gray green.

Cannot wait to see the after pics!!!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

It's hard to tell from your pics, but the backsplash has the pink undertone of travertine, though it could be a lookalike. It also appears that the granite has gold flecks in it, which is not working with the backsplash. I'd replace the backsplash whenever the budget allows, and like someone else suggested, disregard the color when choosing other colors.
    Absolutely, paint the cabinets a cream or off white that works with the floor and granite. The island would look great with a coordinating color on it. If the wood is hard to cover, you might be able to use an allover filler to hide the grain, and a good stain-blocking primer to cover the finish. If you have a pro do it, they should know what to do. The lighting doesn't really bother me, though it could be updated. If it's not in the budget, I'll bet it will be less noticeable once the cabinets and floors are taking center stage.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Another BIG vote for antique white wth silver/pewter hardware -- including long handles on the long cabinets on the right-hand side of the photo ...

Yes -- switch out the single light on the ceiling!

• Jess TKA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

CLBlakey - What an amazing transformation! Your cabinets look completely different and SO much better! I'm totally impressed.

I think we've decided now on a shade of antique white rather than pure white to keep the space warm and coordinate well with the floors and granite. It's going to be really hard for me to resist the urge to rip out that backsplash and put in a new one but I'm sure the budget will put a swift stop to that for now. :)

I'll have to talk with DH about the island but I'm leaning toward a shade of gray-green or soft black. I love that contrasting look when I see it in other kitchens.

• User
    11 years ago

You may just be surprised at the back splash after you have painted it will look so different.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

The Historic Williamsburg line of paints from Pratt & Lambert has a lovely green called Ludwell Tenement Sage that is grayed down a bit, but still has the warmth that will make it work with a creamy white and that gorgeous walnut floor. I'd be careful not to go too gray in your scheme.

And you probably know this already, but make sure your painters (or you, if you are your painters!) prime the cabinets with a stain blocking primer, and if there are any knots anywhere, prime twice over the knots. We painted knotty pine paneling that way, and in 15 years it didn't bleed through at all.

• beeps
    11 years ago

OMGoodness! Those floors are to die for! Stunning!! Those cabinets, on the other hand - the sooner those are painted, the better! =)

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

I definitely say paint them! I recently had mine painted, (and changed the doors because I hated the style), and am so happy with how it looks. The cabinets which from the picture look as grainy as yours took standing/primer/ x2 before painting them. They are smooth, no grain shows thru anywhere. Your floor is beautiful, your kitchen will look new when your finished! Good luck with your new home!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

CLBlakey and Ilene: Your cabinets are beautiful after painting and inspire me.

• melsouth
    11 years ago

I agree with everyone--paint the cabinets.

And, wow, that floor is just beautiful!

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Looks like you already got all the feedback you needed, but just wanted to add that I too painted my cabs last summer and they turned out fantastic! Our cabs were great quality, just dated. You can do it yourself, don't hire it out - save that $$ for another thing on your list! Here was our kitchen (before and not done yet after!)

You might post on the kitchen site, its a well traveled site with lots of good input. But I think you have already been steered into the right direction here. Yes, you def need to break up all that wood and paint the cabs a warm white. I can't tell from your pic, but it looks like that granite is santa celia or new venetian gold. You will find images on the kitchen site of people with that granite so you can get an idea of what whites to look at and what wall color works well.

As for painting, just remove all the doors and hardware on them, fill any holes you won't be using again (new hardware) with wood glue then
    1. wash down doors with krud kutter
    2. sand doors and the base cabinets in your kitchen with 220 sand paper
    3. wash down with TSP
    4. prime with oil based primer - i used Zinser from Lowes, two coats; sand
    5. paint with Benjamin Moore Waterborne Satin Impervo (this paint selection is crucial, you can't use just any paint.) - 2 coats, then sanded again before 3rd coat

Its easy, just time consuming :) Good luck!!

Here's a few links to look at...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0318320225138.html

and the one I wanted to show you I cannot find! Search for jillandmatt kitchen photos garden web. She has a gorgeous white kitchen with giallo ornamental, similar to what I think you have.

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Looks like you already got all the feedback you needed, but just wanted to add that I too painted my cabs last summer and they turned out fantastic! Our cabs were great quality, just dated. You can do it yourself, don't hire it out - save that $$ for another thing on your list! Here was our kitchen (before and not done yet after!)

You might post on the kitchen site, its a well traveled site with lots of good input. But I think you have already been steered into the right direction here. Yes, you def need to break up all that wood and paint the cabs a warm white. I can't tell from your pic, but it looks like that granite is santa celia or new venetian gold. You will find images on the kitchen site of people with that granite so you can get an idea of what whites to look at and what wall color works well.

As for painting, just remove all the doors and hardware on them, fill any holes you won't be using again (new hardware) with wood glue then
    1. wash down doors with krud kutter
    2. sand doors and the base cabinets in your kitchen with 220 sand paper
    3. wash down with TSP
    4. prime with oil based primer - i used Zinser from Lowes, two coats; sand
    5. paint with Benjamin Moore Waterborne Satin Impervo (this paint selection is crucial, you can't use just any paint.) - 2 coats, then sanded again before 3rd coat

Its easy, just time consuming :) Good luck!!

Here's a few links to look at...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0318320225138.html

and the one I wanted to show you I cannot find! Search for jillandmatt kitchen photos garden web. She has a gorgeous white kitchen with giallo ornamental, similar to what I think you have.

• Jess TKA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ilene-84 and MIssyV - Your kitchens are both beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. I hope ours turn out as well as yours did.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

There was a person who used to post on the kitchen forum quite frequently. She had re-done several houses. She advocated painting cabinets as follows (I've cut and pasted her advice from several different threads):

I only use high quality nylon (Purdy) brushes. I prefer them for wood finishes. They cost more but they last forever!

This is exactly what I use:

Sherwin Williams PrepRite ProBlock Interior Exterior Seals and Bonds, Latex primer (be sure you get exactly that one...it says BONDS on the label). It's made to cover shiny surfaces and bond tightly, and I've used it in several kitchens, and on all of my interior woodwork and it does BOND!! No sanding, just wipe down your cabinets with either a TSP and water mixture or a little vinager and water to get rid of grease.

This stuff is wonderful. I've converted many naysayers to the primer because you really don't have to sand or use a deglosser, and even if they're thermafoil...it will BOND and you'll have a finish you can then paint on. :O) It's so much easier. I just love it (I just picked up another couple of gallons last night). And the finish will be tough as nails by the way. I personally also like to use a high quality sherwin williams paint.

I use one coat primer and let it dry a day at least, then two coats (one day between at least) of paint with a good Purdy brush (which is important). With just one coat the grain still effects the paint, but with the two on top of the primer you get that nice smooth look :)

I'm a paint freak, so forgive me for saying this if you know. Don't use rollers for wood. I like a 1 1/2 inch and a 2 1/2 or 3" brush at the most. The smaller works well on the small areas so you don't drip or oversmear the sides of the project.

I have painted several cabinets using the SW primer without any other prep work, except making sure the cabinets were relatively clean. So far they have held up fine.

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I love seeing the before of the after shots of the kitchens above. They all look fantastic! Wifisker, I hope you can proceed with confidence now. Yours is going to look terrific too.

I know when you buy a new house you're anxious to do everything at once, but if the budget doesn't allow for that, it's best to prioritize what's most important to you. For myself, I would concentrate on the public spaces and tackle the rest later. Seriously, how much time are you and your guests going to spend in the master bathroom? LOL If everything is in working order, I'd leave it for now and not rush into renovating right away.

You're lucky your kitchen just needs a little cosmetic tweaking to get it the way you want. If I were you, I'd concentrate on that room and get it finished to your liking with the back spash and recessed lighting. Everything's going to be in a disarray in there anyway while you're painting and the tarps are down. Why go through that again? I'll bet if you don't do the lighting and the back splash now, you'll be standing in there later wishing you had. Go for it!

• natesgram
    11 years ago

I love before and afters. Your kitchen has so much potential, I do hope you will post in-progress pictures as you go along.

I also suggest posting in the kitchen forum, there are so many who have done what you are about to do and as suggested can give you ideas about backsplash, paint colors, and the process. Plus, they have an album of finished kitchens and backsplashes that is so fun to look at. See link below.

One thing I wanted to mention, if you do decide to do this yourself, don't forget to number the doors so they go back to the same cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Blog

• Jess TKA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll try to remember to take pics as the kitchen is in progress but we're going to be so busy with getting our current place ready as a rental, packing and moving, and working on other projects at the new house that I hope I don't forget the fun stuff like snapping photos along the way.

My sister in law's boyfriend is a painter and he said he's done a lot of cabinet painting so we're asking him to provide a quote in hopes he could give us a good deal on a professional quality job. If the price is too high then we'll do it ourselves but DH isn't too keen on that amount of extra work when we'll already be swamped.

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

Definitely paint! I painted mine two years ago, and I still LOVE the transformation!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Ilene-84 and Noellabelle, What shade of white and manufacturer did you use on your cabinets and what sheen. I love both of your cabinets. I had planned to remove mine and buy new ones but after the expense of the gallbladder surgery and 6 weeks off from work and not being paid as I had complications, I may be stuck painting mine and if I am not happy saving for new ones in the future. Ilene-84, where did you buy the doors?

Noellabell,

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

Thanks! I used sw pro classic alabaster in a gloss finish. In retrospect, I would have gone with a semi gloss, but I still love them.

This is the tutorial I used to paint the cabinets. We also took off the old hinges and installed hidden european hinges with soft close. And we replaced our drawer pull outs with full extension soft close glide thingies...it took a lot of research to figure out the right ones, but it didn't cost that much (I think around $300) to make all of our drawers and doors soft close, which I think is a pretty pricey feature if you're getting new cabinets.

I know others were referenced by pp, but I'm linking the tutorial I used.

Here is a link that might be useful: painting cabinets

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

Thanks! I used BM Canvas, in a semi gloss. I didn't do the painting. Contractor did the measuring/installing of the doors, we too took off old hinges and installed hidden european hinges with soft close, I did not add soft close to the drawers. The doors are thermafoil. The store I bought them from has a DIY section. I matched up the BM paint prior to ordering the doors, they had another white which they told me the color, I prefered the canvas because I thought it went better with the granite I was going to use. The doors with hinges (they made the holes for hinges) cost aprox 1,300. If your interested in doors I can try to find out the manufactuer for you.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Noellabelle, thank you for letting me know. I thought you used SW Alabaster but I could not find your prior post. That white looks great and it is one of the three whites I am going back and forth on. I narrowed my selection down to BM Cloud White, SW Alabaster and then BM White Dove. BM Cloud White is a touch creamier than the SW Alabaster and their formula's are so similar as I have sample cans here. I love the way the white looks on your cabinets. I also like the gloss you used. Now I am not sure if I should use gloss or semi-gloss. It looks like you removed the decorative piece in the middle of the doors to get that shaker look I love. I love how you used soft close hidden hinges which is what I would love to do also. Were your old cabinets frameless with no middle bar inside? My cabinets unfortunately are framed with that middle bar between the doors that I dislike as it limits placing wide items inside the cabinets. I wish you lived near me as I would hire you and whoever helped you as you used the word We as you both did a great job! Thank you for the tutorial.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Ilene-84, Thank you for your response. In case I am unable to paint my doors due to the thin Veneer middle of my recessed laminated doors on my builder grade kitchen cabinets, I would love to know where I can buy new doors. The canvas looks so white that I was surprised the name was canvas since at Home Depot there was a brand that had canvas doors that were darker. I like the color of your painted cabinets. I like how you added the soft close hinges also. Are your cabinets frameless as mine are not but I wonder if I can put door on that will cover the frame in the middle to make them appear to be full overlay instead of partial overlay.

I am interested to know where to buy the door or at least who manufactures them and what styles they have. I would not mind Thermofoil if I liked the color of the white. You did a great job with the upgraded changes to your kitchen making it very pretty.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

CLBlakely, What an amazing painting job you did on your cabinets making the kitchen look great! I also love the new counters. What products did you use on your cabinets, what shade of white and what gloss level? Thank you so much for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

MClarke, you wrote that "Our previous kitchen had a slab-sided plywood island like yours. We covered it in beadboard -- which is very inexpensive -- and then painted it white to match the cabinets." What a great idea for me since the sides of my cabinets are wallpaper to look like oak over particle board. Where did you get the beadboard? What shade of white and what gloss did you use?Thank you for sharing.

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

lynn,

yes, mine are framed and have the fixed shelves....I'd love to have them be more adjustable, but it's not worth the cost of new cabinets to me.

I'm linking my kitchen reveal...

Here is a link that might be useful: my finished kitchen

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Noellabelle, I replied to your other post about how much I loved your kitchen and the SW Alabaster paint color as well as the gas range hood which is the same. My framed cabinets have a wooden post between the sides of the doors but I don't see that on yours. I love your appliances, especially the range hood which is the same one I have that is the best for me as I am petite and I can reach all the buttons under the hood. I love how the range hood really removes odors and smoke as well as provides a great halogen light. I especially love your new counters. I love the location of your microwave on the bookshelf as I am very petite and that is a great height for the microwave. I have mine on the counter so I can reach it. The new floors look great and it is amazing that you were able to create such a pretty kitchen for only $8,000.

• User
    11 years ago

Lynn- I used 2 coats of CIL paint and primer all in one but didn't like it had to strain it with each use little clumps everywhere. So I switched to Cloverdale white semi-gloss regular paint. As far as I know it is only available in BC and Alberta. Thanks for comment about the counter it is Stoneffects countertop. Had the flu so after pics have been delayed.

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

Hi Wifisker, My cabinets are framed, they are the original boxes for my 1968 house. The cabinet doors are from Northern Contour the line is Thermofoil Doors, Drawer Fronts and Surfaces , the color that matches up to the BM Canvas is their Antique White. They do make wood doors in same color, but I was told thouse they tend to chip, and it was (strongly) suggested I go with the thermafoil (price difference was only 300). Cabinets are a creamy white, which has a little yellow vs White Dove which has a little grey in it. Good luck in the doing your kitchen, remeber to post pictures. You can also get help in Kitchen.

• monstertickles
    11 years ago

Wow, that person before you really loved wood!

• noellabelle
    11 years ago

Thanks Lynn!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

CLBlakely, thanks for letting me know about your paint choices. Noellabelle, I just reread my post and I meant that I had the same range hood that I love so much. I am saving this post to help me when I pain my cabinets. Thank you!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Here's an inspiration pic below, notice that the island is darker which makes it recede in prominence. I think your's would need a creamier tone than this one but paint really makes a huge difference. Go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Your floors are stunning--- and I rarely use that word! I love painted kitchens and you cabinets will be fantastic painted! Very creamy white or a sort of "biscuit" color would be my choice for your cabinets, with the island in a light brown taken from your granite or backsplash making sure it is a color that plays well with the floor. And facing the island with headboard is a great idea. We did that with our breakfast bar and have been very happy with it. Would go with semigloss finish if you are painting, or satin if the doors are being sprayed offsite professionally. Looking forward to the "after" pictures!

• Jess TKA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yayagal - Thanks for the inspiration pic! I've started a file to collect several examples I like that I could model our kitchen after. :)

kswl - Good suggestions on the paint colors. I'm sure as we get closer to the house closing date I'll be back to start getting votes for actual specific paint choices. I'm terrible with those decisions.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Ilene-84, I had to look at your kitchen again since I may need to change my doors as my doors are recessed laminate and could crack if I try to paint them but I may try that first. I do love your doors and I also am liking the paint color you used on your soffit since I have a soffit also that I would only remove if I was changing out the cabinets. What color is the paint on the soffit? I love how you put a tiny bit of skinny crown molding separating the cabinet doors and the soffit. I wish my soffit had room for recessed lights like yours. I would rather have no soffit but if I was to have one with recessed lights underneath, I would not mind the soffit as it looks intentional and your paint color compliments the cabinets.

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

Ilene- manufacturer of your doors please.... Thank you.

• tesmith
    11 years ago

I think part of the color choice depends on the feel you want for the room. Some colors will be more modern/elegant feeling, some more casual. I was just reading another post, and I think this would be a color that may look good with you floors, I am not certain about with the back splash, I can not make up my mind, it would create a much different feeling to the room than the whites many are mentioning.
    Look at the first picture in this thread
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0807592622259.html

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

PAINT EM' PAINT EM' PAINT EM"

I know that I'm happy I painted mine-

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen remodel blog