Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Holy Arborvitae, Batman!

annkh_nd
9 years ago

I suppose this should be in a landscaping forum, but I know you guys. Have you ever seen a house completely obscured by arborvitae? This is a huge old house in Duluth, MN. You can't really see it in the photo, but there is a lion head sculpted above the front door. I'm pretty sure one can't see out any of the windows from inside.

arborvitae hall of shame

Here's the side view:
side view

Comments (9)

• schicksal
    9 years ago

WOW that's huge! The lady behind us has a giant one too that she said one of her sons planted in the mid-70s. It took over a pretty big chunk of her back yard and needs to go away now.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Someone (possibly the original owners) planted arborvitae in front of our bay window. Really. I chopped those things down twice a year every year and they were still slowly creeping up to cover our bay window. We finally yanked them out and I couldn't be happier. I wish everyone considered the final size of plants before planting! In the right place, I imagine arborvitae could be really lovely.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

All I can say is, "Wow!"

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Beautiful old house....too bad it's not shown to it's best advantage.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

It looks as if there is a lovely house behind those giant shrubs. What a shame someone hasn't taken a chain saw to those ugly things long before now. You really should probably blame the builder for his cheap-o builder-grade landscaping and homeowners who don't know enough to just say no.

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

I dislike arborvitae anyway, and bet there is a beautiful house behind those ugly bushes. Probably makes the house really dark inside.

• annkh_nd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joyce, I'm with you. In the Arborvitae Hall of Shame, this is the grand champion. If anyone has a competitor, I'd love to see it!

I visit Duluth a couple of times a year, and I've been monitoring this house for at least 10 years. One day I'll drive by and they'll be gone! I wish I could find what year the house was built. I would love to see the inside.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

I doubt this is a case of blame the builder- he has most likely been dead for 100 years. Take a look at that chimney, that house has very likely seen the 1800's. I am very familiar with that area of that city. I doubt you would want to see inside because it's probably been carved up into apts for college students. Love that city though. Bet you can see the largest freshwater lake in the world from that upper window.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

There's a giant one in my side yard; I'd estimate it's nearly 30' tall. About all it does is shade the neighbor's house and the mites take a toll on it every summer. We've 'pruned' it several times, but I don't have the heart to take it down. The original owner/lady planted it when her husband went off to war in the early 40's. One of these days, I'll get past being sentimental...