Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

What to do with this lamp?

violetwest
9 years ago

this is an old Mexican tin lamp which I inherited. I've schlepped it around forever and can't bear to get rid of it, because it's one of the few pieces I have from my parents, but it's in poor shape.

the innards are non functional, but that can be fixed. However, the tin appears to be eaten away in spots. I've had most success in cleaning it with WD 40 and a magic eraser, but can't really get it looking nice enough. I understand it has a patina, but am not sure the patina is attractive enough.

I've been considering painting it or perhaps rubbing it with another metallic color. I don't care about the value; it's value to me is sentimental. Also, what kind of shade would you put on it?

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 11:33

Comments (20)

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Closer shot of the base which shows the worst of the discoloration. I'm still in the process of cleaning it, but the spots you see in this pic won't come off.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 11:34

• jakabedy
    9 years ago

You send it to ME! THAT'S how you solve your dilemma! I need it on the table in my front window where I have my Indian pottery. But seriously, leave the patina. That's the best part of vintage Mexican tinwork, the patina that shows the age and the handcrafted nature of it all. Don't paint it or refinish it.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my heavens Violet, I LOVE your lamp and think it is absolutely perfect the way it is! If you do a metallic rub I would do a sivery shade that would just add depth but not change the perfection of that gorgeous pewter color.

I am not good at lamp shades but I would do something plain in white to not take away from the beauty of the lamp itself. A plain Empire shade would do the trick.

Here is a link that might be useful: this shade

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just knew these were the responses I'd get, lol! I do love the lamp. But don't you think the discoloration in the base is unsightly? Would you be embarrassed to display it?

And I feel guilty because I didn't take good care of it over the years. :(

This post was edited by Violet.West on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 12:42

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I like the black spots. I don't think they are unsightly.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

If you don't want to use it as a lamp, you could remove the wiring and lamp socket and put a glass hurricane on top.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I like your lamp. I see it with a black linen drum shade like those linked below .

Target Black Linen Drum Shade

Here is a link that might be useful: PB black linen drum shade

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

Love the patina!
    My first thought was the same as bbstx...black drum shade.
    Or a funky colored drum shade to match your decor.
    Great lamp!

• teacats
    9 years ago

What a wonderful lamp!!! It is a treasure!!

Yes -- just leave the patina -- get it working -- and add a black drum shade .....

And post pics .... of course!!! :) Just teasing! :)

• chispa
    9 years ago

I also don't see anything wrong with the finish ... unless the photos aren't showing us something that you are seeing in person. You would pay good money at a store for that type of patina!!

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

Oops... Duplicate

This post was edited by kitch4me on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 14:37

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I think, without seeing the entire suitcase chest next to the lamp, that you have the beginnings of a vignette with the lamp. If you have a side table, put the suitcase chest underneath, the lamp with a navy shade on top and couple that with a mirror or picture on top. Add some colourful mexican pottery next to the lamp. The possibilities are endless. Leave the patina.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

The Antiques Roadshow appraisers would give you a virtual slap on the wrist for messing (cleaning) with that lamp! It is perfect the way it is; put it in a place of honor and wait for compliments.

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Btw, if you don't send it to jakabedy, send it to me! I love it.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no, trust me, it had gunk caked on it. Much better all shiny now.

blfenton -- It won't work with the trunk because of placement and scale, although I agree it matches.

thanks, guys--I'll have it fixed up and look for a shade. Although I don't think black will work.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

What style of shade would the maker have envisioned for it? What was common in Mexico at the time it was made?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Another vote for keeping it as is. If you think that patina is bad, you would hate most of my house. And I had to buy that patina!

However, I think the shade should be Mexican , too . Bright, colorful, maybe embroidered? Or made from a serape? (too hokey)? Not plain white IMHO.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

That lamp is great. I like the patina. If you want to keep the rust from getting worse, you can spray it with a can of clear coat from a store like AutoZone.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I would not do anything to it other than preserve it, that's the beauty of an antique, people try to create that with fake and faux you have the real deal.
    As for the shade I would go with a scalloped shade of some kind to mimic the scallops on the base. Possibly a scalloped bell shade or imperial scalloped shade. It would be awesome to have a punched tin shade for it. Like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Punched tin

• springroz
    9 years ago

It needs a rawhide shade...not kitschy western, but nice. Or, some sort of painted shade. Your house can handle it!

Gorgeous!!