Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lottamoxie

i use artificial plants outside & i like it!

lottamoxie
14 years ago

After the big outside siding replacement project, I then debated whether to use some artificial plants as decoration on my front porch. Since I have a black thumb, don't get direct light, and don't want to have to deal with maintenance, I decided it was the right way for me to get some color that I knew would dress up the front and not disappear or die.

Here are pics of what I did. All the vines and flowers are artificial. I sprayed each of them with fabric protector, as suggested by one company that sells silk flowers & plants. I rather like the look and don't feel bad for 'cheating' at all. :-)

The hanging plants I purchased from a vendor on eBay. The flowers I got from Michael's.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Comments (14)

• teacats
    14 years ago

That is a wonderful display!! I LOVE it! :)

The key is that you chose the right flowers -- both for the season and the color AND your greenery really does look real!

I have artifical plants outside too! :)

Jan

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In Sept I will take down the geraniums. The hanging plants I'll leave year round. I have 2 more flower boxes so maybe I'll do a fall or winter theme for those so I can rotate them in when it's time. The yellow plant I'll probably leave since it looks so nice between those black rockers. I don't care too much about being accurate wrt seasons...I care more about the general curb appeal factor. Color brightens things up considerably and this house needs it.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Love the red door. I like this too, even though I'm not usually a fan o' faux. But these are so bright and perky, and match the door so well, what's not to love?

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the purists would frown on using artificial plants (as I admit I might have once done). But we live in a faux world so ... cheers!

• dgmarie
    14 years ago

looks great! My front yard is VERY VERY far from the road and I usually use fake flowers (really el cheapos from walmart) in the fall. My "mums" look fatabulous all season (and all winter!!)

• gin2402
    14 years ago

I must admit they look amazing! I live on a golf course and there are a few houses w/ fakes that look horrible, but yours look great. Especially the red geraniums w/ your red door... but you do miss out on all the "fun" of gardening. :)

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

>>> but you do miss out on all the "fun" of gardening. :)

Not really since gardening isn't fun when your plants die or you forget to water them (and they die), and the flowers only last a few weeks.

I have plenty of space to work with if I was motivated to garden, plus I have a deck in back that needs plants too. And yes, there is live greenery around, so it's not all faux.

Look how far my house is from the street. My driveway is 100 ft!

{{!gwi}}

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

>>> I usually use fake flowers (really el cheapos from walmart) in the fall.

Ooooh I'll have to check out Walmart for fall flowers. I purchased the 12 geranium plants for $3.00/ea (with 25% coupon) and got the yellow potted plant for $7.50 after the 50% Michael's coupon.

If I could keep live plants ALIVE and colorful then it would be worth it...but if I buy live plants then I'd likely have to replace them at least twice per season, every year. And that would be for summer and fall. That adds up, ya know?

• Irish2
    14 years ago

I think it looks GREAT!!! You used the right colors to
    compliment your house....which is a beauty! I have porch
    envy. The real "cutie" is inside your red screen door.
    We had a handsome golden for 13 yrs....still miss my boy

• dayenu
    14 years ago

I have done this too. wisteria before the plants were large enough to produce flowers. and there was a shady area in front that the slugs inhabit and EVERYTHING i planted there got devoured. My fake ferns have survived and none has noticed as the real plants above them catch your eye.

Your arrangement looks fantastic!!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

It takes a lottamoxie to do that and pull it off , lol......

It looks great ; I used to plant geraniums and they grew well but needed a lot of work; one rainfall and you had to trim and prune, remove the dead heads, etc... I would not add any more, the color scheme is perfect and credible.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I wish I had used fake flowers - instead of the real ones that are now dead. :(

I had a friend that always had a beautiful garden. One day I went by there and we were talking about her garden, and I asked what the flowers were that were blooming - they were so pretty and I wanted to get some, too. You guessed it, they were fake ones that she had actually planted in the ground!

• caroline94535
    14 years ago

Your porch is lovely, but what really sets it off is the big, furry, happy face in the door!

He's a cutie!

• lottamoxie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's my baby, the world's most spoiled golden. She'll be 10 next month. She was not amused at me being outside with her inside!