Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aputernut

"Flipping Moms"

aputernut
9 years ago

The new show on HGTV "Flipping Moms" is pretty good, recorded it and just watched, they made a hefty profit and are clearly excited! on to the next flip.

Comments (9)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I do like the Flipping shows so will tune in to watch this one. I know nothing about real estate, but I have heard that you don't make as much $$ flipping as these shows would have you believe with all the fees, etc.

Also, here is something I don't understand with these shows. Say the comps in a neighborhood are in the $300,000 range. They buy a fixer upper in the neighborhood for $275,000 and put in $50,000 in renovations. Then they list it for $375-400...so they can make a handsome profit on the flip.....BUT, if the comps are in the $300 range is someone really going to come in and pay $75-100 more? I have always heard that, generally speaking, the nicest house on the block will maybe sell more quickly than the other listings in the neighborhood and for a little more...but not substantially more than the comps.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Oh, moms who flip. I thought it was about moms who *are flipped* like cheerleader moms, or getting a tired, dated mom for not much money and fixing her up for a profit.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

joaniepoanie -- I wonder the same thing! I thought that the nicest house will sell faster, but not for that much more. Maybe it depends on the neighborhood :-/

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

I have decided that the flipping shows are not telling all. If a flipper is a Real Estate agent, they can add in their sale recoup. Plus, most are probably registered companies which buy wholesale. A kitchen/bath flip just seems too low most of the time. And when they buy furniture, is it included? Home buyer gets to keep it? Or on loan from those high priced design stores?

It makes me sad that they trash everything. Why don't they donate some of the better kitchen cabinets, windows, etc? And in all honesty, I'm getting a bit tired of the full open concept. But am probably in the minority as to what the buyers are after.

I'd like to see a renovation show, where they restore some of the original home. It bothered me seeing them crash an original 1950's kitchen, it could have been restored and some things worked around., Even the buyers want everything gone. Admit to some good stuff done, but let me in there to save some of the of past. I'd even remove them myself.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Tech, I agree with you! I would like to see a show where they do more tweaking of the existing original stuff if sound or remodel /decorate around some of the so called dated things to get a cohesive look. Most of the time the end remodel project looks nice enough but has zero character. There are things in the house I just bought that I didnâÂÂt love but decided to either tweak it or decorate around it. In the end I think it will have more interest that way. Of course some things have to go due to mold or disrepair beyond help. But stillâ¦!

I also agree that the prices seem way off on the full guts. And, it mostly goes against human nature to pay well over the top of appraisal value no matter how nice the house is so IâÂÂm not buying that part of these shows at all. There are exceptions for bidding wars but 45 to 75 grand over? No way! We all know on some of these homes that have been sitting for a while one will have to put at least $30,000 into it just to get it running. They didnâÂÂt sell the first time around because they needed new roofs or some other big price redo like bad electric, plumbing , windows or structural issues. ThatâÂÂs why these homes ended on the auction block. Somehow though, they manage ALL THAT plus a new kitchen and appliances, two new baths (one a big master), new flooring throughout the whole house and more (basically a full gut) for $70,000 total. They are always a minimum of twenty thousand under a real price even considering they have their own construction crew. I could see a good possibility in the end cost if they utilized more of the existing but they usually rip it all out.

• Danahills
    9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 20:49

• User
    9 years ago

I have Dish Network in SD and they don't show 'Flipping Moms'. Could you please tell me when it is on?

As for flipping shows, I like Flip or Flop and Fixer Uppers.
    I really like how the respective couples interact & respect one another,.

• kittentrees
    9 years ago

For those who want an honest show about house rehab where they restore/keep the glory of the original house and don't bash everything to bits but recycle/reuse/donate...try Nicole Curtis's show, Rehab Addict.

She's passionate about old homes and cares about giving back to the neighborhoods she works in. I think it's on the DYI network.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Linelle I LOVED your comment:

getting a tired, dated mom for not much money and fixing her up for a profit.

LOL

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm