Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Old quilt - family treasure

IdaClaire
14 years ago

My 92 year old Grannie is preparing to move into a nursing facility (I don't even like to think about this, so I won't dwell on that fact), and has said that she wants to give me a few things, one being the quilt that her mother made out of scraps of fabric from Grannie's and her sisters' dresses when they were children. I will be so honored to have such a treasure, but I'm really not sure how to best care for it and display it. One thing I won't be able to do is use it on a bed, as my cats would quickly claim it and it would be covered in shed cat fur in no time. It's too precious to me to allow that to happen. Also, I worry about it getting dirty/dusty if I display it on a quilt rack, although I suppose that is preferable to being covered in kitty hair. Are there special cases made for displaying large pieces like a quilt? If I recall correctly, it fits a double bed.

Comments (14)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Jen, there's a lot of information on the net about how to display a quilt, most of them complicated and I'd have to have someone do it for me.

First and foremost, keep any sun off of it.

I also have an old family quilt in my cedar chest, and I'm thinking about folding it and putting it on the bottom shelf of the sofa table.

My dh grandmother used to make us quilts every winter before she passed. I love them!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

How sweet of your Grannie. And how blessed are you to receive it Aunt Jen! I'll leave the care and display to others. I'm sure someone will come up with a great idea.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Jen I love old quilts displayed on the wall. I just love that look, truly. And I think it would look good in your house with your decor. Even though I know your house is Southwestern.
    I have a new quilt displayed on the wall and my grandma's quilt is put on on the back of my sofa in the kitchen.

I think you can have loops put on the back of your quilt without damaging it and just put a rod through it and hang it.

....Jane

• gracie-2006
    14 years ago

How about a quilt stand. I bought a very pretty one for my Dear Mother years ago. She was able to fold the quilt over it and it looked very pretty.Here is a link to one of many. http://www.accent-furniture-direct.com/Powell-Furniture-987-273-pw1900.html

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I would be cautious about displaying it on a quilt stand, as it would fade and soil unevenly as it's folded. I, too, love to see quilts hung on the wall. Something like that Would look great in your home.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Jen, I'm in the process of doing the same thing with a quilt that my deceased mother made for my daughter when she was an infant. mcclarke had a beautiful quilt that she framed for her dining room, and I'm using her instructions to do mine. I'm linking you to the thread where we discussed it. This would be a perfect solution for you, too!

You can even order "conservation glass", which is actually a special plastic that goes into the frame to protect the fabric from sunlight and fading. I haven't used it on anything as large as a quilt, but I do have several pieces of ancient Mayan burial fabrics that we've framed and protected in this manner. Since the quilt that I'm doing is not going to be in an area where direct sunlight hits it, I'm just using regular picture framing plastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: mcclarke's framed quilt

• IdaClaire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the input! Nanny2a, that is a fabulous solution, and I know my dad, being a woodworker, could easily make the frame for me. Now, my issue if I'm going to display it on the wall is finding the wall space in which to do it! I am so very limited.
    :-(

Gracie, that's a gorgeous quilt rack! I do have a couple of quilt racks in my house right now (how many are too many? ;-)), and may end up going ahead and displaying the quilt there until I can get it up on a wall. Do you think if I keep it completely out of the sun I'll eliminate the possibility of fading? I'll have to check the quilt I presently have displayed in my bedroom for signs of uneven fading and wearing. I don't want that to happen!

• teacats
    14 years ago

IF you keep a quilt folded for display or storage -- always take it out and then re-fold it in a different way to keep the creases from "settling" into the fabric.

IF you store a quilt in a cupboard or cabinet -- fold in some acid-free tissue paper into the creases and around it.

Jan

• bungalow_house
    14 years ago

She found out that we were putting them away as keepsakes and got mad. Said she wouldn't make any more unless they were used.

LOL pesky -- my grandmother found out my brother was using the quilts she gave him and she got mad, she wanted them put away as keepsakes. She probably didn't give him any more after that.

auntjen, it does indeed sound like a treasure. So sorry to hear about your grandmother.

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

Just to be on the safe side, you might want to Google "quilt guilds + your hometown or state" to hopefully find some experts on this topic.

Here's something related that I found on the web:

Here is a link that might be useful: quilt conservation

• angelcub
    14 years ago

Hi Jen! Long time quilter here. Jan gave you good advice. Quilts can be displayed on racks or shelves in a cupboard (I have a pie safe full of mine) without damage to them as long as you refold them periodically. No direct sunlight or strong indirect sunlight. I've had quilts fade from sun coming in my north facing windows because the sun is so strong at my elevation.

If your dad makes you a frame be sure to seal the wood very well, as the oils from the wood can stain the fabric. Painted wood is ok but I still seal my wood with a good water based sealer. You can even use the spray kind from Krylon or Minwax.

HTH! And enjoy that treasure. I have several old quilts hanging over my stair railing upstairs and I just love looking at them. I think I treasure them more than all the ones I've made myself over the years.

If you need anymore ideas or help, check out your local quilt shops. They will have display ideas and soap made just for quilts if you need to clean it before displaying.

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your grannie having to go into a nursing facility. My dad is in one. He gets good care and everyone adores him but I wish he could have spent his last days at home. : ( I hope she won't be too far from you and that you can be a patient advocate for her. Everyone needs someone like that in any care facility.

My best to you and your dear grannie. : )

Diana

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

I'm interested in this thread as well. I started quilting a little over a year ago on a Baltimore Album style quilt. I'm still making the squares (yes, I'm slow, but they are all by hand) and would like to display my hard work if I ever get it put together and finished. A full size quilt takes up a lot of space and that would be a pretty big frame. Thanks for the ideas. I'll be checking back on this thread.

• suero
    14 years ago

Check out this Smithsonian site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Velcro® Suspension System