Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonlime_gw

What should I do with this dining table?

lemonlime
9 years ago

This table and six chairs came with the purchase of our home. I don't know anything about it, except that I love the chairs but the table.....not so much. The chairs don't even seem to match the table in style, yet the wood is identical and the PO says they were a set. The chairs need cleaning and new seat upholstery.

The table top has been painted red and poorly distressed. My sister suggested stripping the top, degriming the whole thing and maybe doing the base in a white gloss paint.

Honestly I'm not sure it's worth the work and maybe it should just go on Craigslist or the curb.

For what it's worth, we bought the house knowing the kitchen and adjacent dining area were a full-blown gut job. The (hideous) tile floor will be replaced, along with the sliding patio door and vertical blinds. It's currently an ugly and depressing space, so I wonder if that's influencing my lack of seeing any potential for this table?

I would love some thoughts and ideas!

Comments (24)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

The wood doesn't look bad. Personally, I don't care for tables with all that stuff underneath. Who'd want to sit at the ends? It would be fairly easy to strip and refinish that flat top with those edges. But, if you don't really like the table, it might not be worth the effort just to turn around and sell it for a little more than it's currently worth. Maybe others who like that kind of table will weigh in.

• camlan
    9 years ago

If you don't like the table, keep it and use it as is until you find something you do like. If you like the chairs and want to keep them, get a new table that will work with them.

I'd want a table with leaves, so that I could change the size of the table easily. So this one wouldn't work for me at all. I wouldn't spend time, money or effort to make it look different, because the design of the table isn't what I want in a dining table.

If your sister likes the table, give it to her and let her refinish it as she pleases.

If you don't like it, don't spend time and money and energy on it. Just plan on getting rid of it.

• peegee
    9 years ago

What Camlan said. Like Linelle, I also don't care for the table base. That said, I really, really like the chairs!!!
    Someone is bound to be thrilled with that table, which is another reason why I would NOT paint it to make do till finding the right table - don't ruin it for someone else.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linelle, I agree, it's bottom heavy and looks cumbersome. But I do like the wood and I think the chairs will be great with a good cleaning and clear Briwax.

Camlan, it has two leaves so it becomes a massively long table. We've done that when having lots of family over, otherwise it's just me and DH.

Once stripped, the top would be fine. It's the base I don't like. I just looked, and the base is screwed into the top, meaning it could be easily detached. The question then is if the top is too heavy to be supported by four legs, esp with both leaves. It's quite heavy and well made.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Chairs are awesome. I'd get rid of the base of the table and get heavy-duty legs for it. The wood looks very solid, so there's no reason why solid, solid legs shouldn't hold it just fine, even with leaves in it.

If it makes you nervous, just get some steel rods to to put in there when you have the leaves in.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

This is a bit of a stretch, but I would check with a carpenter to see if it's possible to have openings cut out of each of the three "legs". If they are not solid wood, the raw edges could be covered with matching veneer.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Sorry, duplicate.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 17:56

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I do like the chairs, but are they comfortable with the curved back?

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Just curious...are there any markings on either the chairs or table to indicate the manufacturer? That might help in deciding whether to keep it or not or if it's worth changing out the legs if you are able to research it and determine its value. If not, simply pricing out changing the legs may give you your answer as well as having the top stripped and redone if you don't want to put in the time and effort to do it.

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oaktonmom, the chairs are very comfortable, which is one reason they're staying.

Joaniepoanie, I can't find any info about the manufacturer or date. The chairs all have the same numbers written on the seat bottoms, but that's it.

Tibbrix, I believe there are some sturdy metal "tracks" that slide out to support the leaves. It would probably be fine.

I think I'll mull over getting the base replaced with legs, since I'd prefer to have a top that matches the chairs.

• rgps
    9 years ago

Love the chairs and I'd kill to have that table in my studio/sewing room.

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

Love the chairs but I can see where the table could be considered a knee-banger. And the harsh square corners could be painful. If you advertise it, I'd list it as a dining, conference or work-space table since it looks like it could serve in various ways.

Actually I think your tile floor looks nice but maybe I'm not seeing something.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd strip the top down to the original wood and put a high-gloss poly on it.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

LOVE the chairs, HATE the table.

I can't think of any legs that would save it.

So many better options out there.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Heavy table legs

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Well, is it veneer? What's at the bottom? Is it particle board?

Frank Lloyd Wright for Henredon in the 50s. Came with two leaves,

I'd post in the antique furniture forum.

• rgps
    9 years ago

It almost looks like that awful red top is laid over the original top which might be lovely if that were the case. Then the original top could be refinished and the whole table would seen less clunky. You might have a treasure there.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Yes, I was thinking if the chairs and table really go together, then there was some kind of DIY involved with the table. Or is that a frame/molding that's attached under the table top?
    What are the green marks at the bottom of the table?

• lemonlime
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom, I believe they are indeed a set. The wood is identical. Sorry, I didn't make it really clear in my first post, but the red paint and distressing is for sure a DIY. The PO told me his aunt did it and no one wanted the table after that. Yeah, go figure.

The top is part of the original, not added on. Also, it must be veneer, definitely not particle board. It has the folding protective pads that go with it. It's nicely made and was probably expensive at the time.

Oh, the green is felt with adhesive backing that they must've stuck on at some point to protect the floor.

• oceanna
    9 years ago

How about putting the table in the garage or sewing room to be used as a work table? Then go find a table that makes you smile every time you look at it.

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

It's big, it's sturdy but I don't think you like it because of it's design. So painting or refinishing it seems like a waste of your time. I would get rid of it. Sell it and buy another table. BTW- DH and I had the most fun searching the re-sale stores for our kitchen table.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

It is an awesome size table, I would replace the leggs with the heavy type Tibbrex posted or something similar. Take care of the top by restoring it. Clean up the chairs and put new fabric on the chair seats. Not a terribly difficult job. I think the table could be really beautiful with those other leggs. Do not like the current leggs at all, but would definitely rule out it being a collectable antique.
    It sure would make a nice project space for sewing or crafts, etc.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Topping to send legitimate threads back up the line.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

I echo the suggestion to submit the picture to the furniture or antiques forums. I found a picture of a similar table in a FLW house in the PNW.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks