Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Vern Yip new show today HGTV

joaniepoanie
9 years ago

Just happened to see that a new show is on today....Vern Yip building his beach house in Fl. Might be interesting...I always thought he was the best designer on Trading Spaces.

Comments (6)

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops....forgot to add HGTV at 2:00 eastern.

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Got it! Thanks!

• 4boys2
    9 years ago

Sooo..Who's up for spending a week there ?

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

$1000 per day to rent. I am not a fan of the house or show. Was sad he built such a huge one in front of so many great little originals to the beach. Although maybe the little guys sold him the property knowing their views were up for grab.. With his OCD (which he mentioned), there must be a maid/cook or something that goes along with the rental price....to keep things in order perfectly.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Happened to catch the end of the show and the reveal and I was surprised at how little I liked it, given that I've always respected Vern Yip's design sense.

Of course I"m sure my distaste was in large part because I'm not a huge fan of orange and the entire house was done with lots of that, accented with brown/leather and glass, very modern and to boot crammed with stuff. Granted, high end designer stuff but still the place was jam packed. Not much sense of place either. I know a designer doesn't care to replicate every kitschy beach house in existence but this seemed like a McMansion done to someone's very specific taste then dropped onto the shore.

In addition to the color and tchotchkes, also did not care for his master bedroom/retreat. Why anyone would set up the supposedly dreamy getaway space with a desk/work space *at the foot of the bed* makes absolutely no sense. His explanation that it was so he could work while on vacation-huh?!?! Then you aren't on vacation are you?

And in the dining room the placement of bench seating for the DR table to avoid cutting into sight lines was sadly a triumph of form over function. I could only think of how UNcomfortable it would be to have to sit on a backless bench while supposedly enjoying relaxing beach house dining. Sure wouldn't be a seat conducive to sipping some nice tropical beverages and enjoying the view.

Nope, didn't care for the house and certainly wouldn't be interested in staying there, even for free.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally watched it yesterday....liked some things, didn't like others.

I actually liked the orange and thought it was a nice departure from the typical blue, aqua, pale greens that are typical beach house colors.

All the "stuff"...yes, too much, especially for a beach rental. Would he even know if someone walked off with some of it?

I didnt mind the bench seating in the DR....it is supposed to be casual and I think of kids sitting there mostly...but agree, not conducive to a leisurely meal or sipping wine.

DH has often taken calls while on vacation, so the desk in the BR did not bother me...I guess if you have to work...a glimpse of the beach wouldnt be bad.

And that is what it was...a glimpse. For that $$, I would want a house right on the beach and not have to look out onto rooftops with the beach behind them.

Anyplace on that first level to stow all the beach gear....boogie boards, towels, chairs, etc.?

Lugging groceries, etc... up to the second floor....uh, no.

Liked the all white color scheme...but those dark floors will show every speck...not a good thing, especially in a rental.

Didn't really show the kitchen at all...why was that skipped over?

All the white tile and grout....super hard to keep up.

From what I could tell..the pool almost looked too small to be worth all the trouble.

Was really surprised he wanted the landscaping all lined up like an English estate....especially at a casual beach house! A natural landscape can be orderly too.

Cracks me up that he will rent it out...he definitely seems like the type that would not want strangers sleeping in his house.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz