Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Post a picture of your favorite Light Fixture

Oakley
13 years ago

Trailrunner's new light fixture she bought in Chicago gave me the idea for this topic. Post it again here, Trail!

I love looking at light fixtures for some reason!

Here's my favorite we put in the sitting room. It's on a dimmer but since I have African Violets in there with their own light we don't turn the overhead light on much. But it sure is purty to look at. :)

Comments (68)

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Oh I am loving these so very much. I'm a light fixture nut, but have yet to buy something I can say that I drool over. Mainly because I have expensive tastes. I would love to have just about anything from Rejuvenation, but I especially love MCM and Art Deco periods. Though our home is a Victorian Revival so that's a close second/third.

• lizziebethtx
    13 years ago

arlosmom, I LOVE your vintage fixture. I can't believe no one has ever complimented you on it. Meghane we are kindred souls...I LOVE your colors and I think what you did at Christmas to your fixture is tons of fun. I also love you did it in hot pink and not red. What color is the orange paint on your dining room wall? Love your turquoise & green colors in the office. I will soon post photos of my newly remodeled downstairs...lots of apple green and turquoise with pops of orange and hot pink. YOu may be the only GW member who likes it. haha.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

Pretty light fixtures! Mrsmarv - I love your lamp and can see why you'd wait a year for it.

Mitch - that's your kitchen?! I'd never want to leave :-)

This is my favorite fixture. The pictures is from the website but I have it in my dining room. It's a Hubbardton Forge oval chandelier.

• pps7
    13 years ago

juddgirl,

Can you post a pic when you get a chance? We just bought a new dining table-reclaimed teak farmhouse table. I had bought the potterybarn armonk chandelier, but they keep putting it on backorder. I've thought about getting this one.

• art_teacher_mom
    13 years ago

This is my favorite light fixture in our entry way that I redid. It's not super expensive, in fact it was from Lowe's. But I love it so much more than the "before!"
    BEFORE
    {{!gwi}}
    AFTER
    {{!gwi}}

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

This is fun! Can I please post another one? This is in our dining room (same situation with plaster and dust):

• kellyeng
    13 years ago

I think this one is my favorite:

{{!gwi}}

It was from Restoration Hardware purchased in 2007. I think I like it not so much for the fixture itself but the way the whole room comes together because of it. I also like the way it looks decorated for Christmas:

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

here's the black one, it's swagged, couldn't be helped.

The kitchen fixture has tiny bulbs on the inside, it's on a dimmer.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• natal
    13 years ago

Kelly, I love your dining room! The Christmas shot is a perfect example of less is more. Well done!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Oh these are just wonderful lighting fixtures. susieq07 what a beautiful job you did on yours!!! I have mostly fan/light fixtures with wooden tropical blades, so nothing great there. I inherited my dining room chandy which is a nickle plated two tiered 10 candle light...I threw some frilly shades on it and it looks much better, but someday will change that out. I have several lamps with monkey themes and this is my favorite. This is my same lamp but somebody photographed it in a bar. Nothing speaks to me more than a monkey in a fez...LOL.

• leafy02
    13 years ago

This is my favorite fixture--I have favorite lamps, too, but no photos of them.

It hangs over our foyer, and since the house is a split-foyer, that means it's at eye level when you're sitting on the couches in the living room. It's new this year, replacing the previous owner's very 1990's fixture; I tried to pick something that would fit with the 1969-era house. My son is pointing to it with a big smile because he is so happy it's up and my hours of shopping online for light fixtures are over....or so he hoped....

{{!gwi}}

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

Firstly...just some lovely fixtures- I appreciate the diversity and feel the happy glow these lights give...and love that this thread is by nature photo filled!
    ---------------------------------------------------------

My honey is vintage Danish...I LOVE it, and consider it my little slice of MoMA! I like how it plays with my front door....and lets ya' know when you first step in that you can be yourself here...it's ALL good!

{{!gwi}}

• nicole__
    13 years ago

The floor lamp with the drum shade.......I'm kinda into drum shades right now...
    {{!gwi}}

• bac717
    13 years ago

Here are two of my favorite lamps. Both of them belonged to my grandmother. I didn't even know they existed until my brother and I found them while cleaning out the attic at my mom and dad's house before it was sold. Neither had a shade and the painted lamp had a cord that disintegrated when touched, but after a rewiring and a trip to the shade store, I have two beautiful lamps. My mom enjoys seeing them in my home.

This is right after I bought the shade. That's why the plastic is still on.

• bonniee818
    13 years ago

Mine is the in the bathroom.......over the tub and on a dimmer.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

So many unique light fixtures. What a great thread. I am desperately trying to find something for my foyer and having limited luck. Leafy02- where did you get yours?

Does anyone have good suggestions suppliers of period style or refurbished lighting (besides rejuvenation or schoolhouse? I am not looking for ornate, something simple that is not off in my house - a simple turn of the century four square.

• sweeby
    13 years ago

I've got a couple...
    This little cutie I found on eBay:

And my kitchen chandelier at Christmastime:

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

mitch, that is beyond cool...could you please share the name of the maker?

And kitchnkat, more, please! Even just that door is fabulous. Love the interplay of the front-covered bulb (what's the name of those again?) and the huge diffuser around it. I'd love to see anything more of your house you are inclined to share (maybe start a new thread?). We don't get too many of those around here (I lean that way too) so it's really wonderful to see them. Or did you post pics somewhere before and I missed it?

• mom2reese
    13 years ago

Love all these wonderful lights. Mitch - I really like the mix of modern & traditional.

Kitch_n_kat - what a fabulous light, and I love the door. I agree with flyleft - more, please!

My two favorite lights in the house:

island chandelier - the steel ribbons are adjustable so you can configure the light to be larger or more compact:

foyer light - it spins ever so slightly when the a/c hits it:

Another shot from downstairs (before the stairs were finished)

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

mom2reese...I think I may faint...did you all build that house? How did the stair rail come about--did you put it in or was it there when you bought? What part of the country do you live in that there are such cool houses? Reese is one very lucky, lucky child to grow up in that aesthetic. I think I have a crush on your house...

• pps7
    13 years ago

Most of my fixtures when in today and I love all of them but htis one is my favorite:

I need a latern type fixture for the staircase. DO you think it will work?

• mom2reese
    13 years ago

Awww, thanks Flyleft! I think I'm blushing a little :)

Yep, we built the house from the ground up, and I worked with an architect to design it. I live in the south, but in a pretty urban, eclectic neighborhood. There are lots of Craftsman homes in the area, so we played off some elements of that even though our tastes run more contemporary (the Craftsman influence is more evident in the house exterior, where we were going for a modern take on Greene & Greene).

We moved into the house before a lot of the cosmetic finishing details were done since we had a bit of a rushed timeline to move in - to give you an idea, we moved in the morning of Nov. 20th, I checked into the hospital that night, and I gave birth to our second child the next morning. Suffice it to say that the steel cables that are strung between the clips on the stairs did not get ordered or installed until we were in the house for months, LOL.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Ah, well that explains the FLW door and the more modern innards :) That episode around the move/birth put you right at the top of the stress scale, didn't it :) -- a move, a birth...hope there was no job change or anything else added in! But the house looks fabulous; what a dream to be able to design it with an architect. Just once before I die I'd like to do that...*sigh*

I'll try to take pics of my two favorite fixtures, although one is just your standard vintage Sputnik..maybe I'll show the one over our kitchen table, too. Here's the one in our bedroom, chosen because it is very close to the ceiling but still interesting to us...

Here is a link that might be useful: a little weird because not all the globes light up, but still fun

• mom2reese
    13 years ago

Oooh, that's a neat light! I love that you have such an interesting light in your bedroom. My bedroom falls flat in that area.

I'd love to see more pics of your lights/room.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

This one from Rejuvenation is one of my favorites. Apparently the original had gas jets shooting out of a baton in the bat's mouth.

I don't own it, but it's one of my favorites.

{{!gwi}}

• kathielo
    13 years ago

bonniee....love that little chandelier. Where did you get it? I'm looking for something similar for my bedroom.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

We don't have many light fixtures or fancy lamps in our home but I do love my kitchen mini-pendants.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• Meghane
    13 years ago

I love mitch's black crystal chandy.

But I NEED the bat lamp! How freakin cool is that?!

• hoyamom
    13 years ago

• redroze
    13 years ago

My favourites in our house are our kitchen pendants, which are antique repro hurricane lamp style:

The chandelier above our master bathroom tub:

And the sconces in our master bath:

Also love the leafy chandelier in our dining room:

• bestyears
    13 years ago

Just saw this one today on the Southern Living Idea House, and LOVE it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool old looking light fixture

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

Thanks flyleft and mom2reese- for admiring my Danish sconce, she shines favorably on me. I've posted pix here and there and in the kitchen and bath forums more, and think some of my postings with photos can be seen in my clippings...I have more photos of recent projects to post- will do soon.

He! I "know" all three of the fixtures you both posted, have admired them, but not had the right place for them...think your bedroom light would be fun in a bathroom too, flyleft. Your foyer light, m2r, is in a friend's entry stairwell also - and is stunning in person, I know! Do you by chance have the little spun wire moldable pendent lights to go with your kitchen fixture?

Palimpsest- the bat fixture stopped me in my tracks the first time I saw it, also. Kinda shook my head and went, wha? then big smile.

EclecticMe- your lamp in that room is so cozy

art teacher mom- BEST transformation

really enjoy something about each fixture/room placement...love looking...

• bepeace
    13 years ago

What a fun thread - everyone's taste is so interesting! Here's my favorite light. I haven't hung it yet - the picture is from the eBay seller I bought it from. I purchased two identical vintage Murano pendant lights that I plan to put over my kitchen island some day.

I'm new to posting an image - hope I did this correctly.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

bepeace, that is so original, never saw one like that.

Great thread, it's fun to look at all the fixtures in their diversity.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

bepeace, that fixture is wonderful! Is it seriously Murano? I would never have guessed, with the metal caging. Do you have a pic of the pendants? Did you get them from the same person? LUCKY you :)

knk--it's funny, but I know for a fact we were the first people in the entire country to buy that 'amphibian egg mass" fixture (my DH and DD monitor egg masses in the early spring for our local conservation group, so they had an association for it right off :)); now I see there are loads of positive reviews, and the fixture's success seems to have 'spawned' a whole lot of alternative versions of the same basic idea. There's even one for a bathroom, damp-spaces-qualified. One could have an entire house of egg masses :)

• clemsonian
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I've been lurking for ages, looking at all your beautiful homes and borrowing ideas here and there. When I saw this post though, it was like it was written for me! Some women have shoe or purse addictions, I have a light fixture addiction. Anyway...

I must have looked through THOUSANDS of light fixtures for my dining room. I found plenty that I liked, but none that boyfriend could tolerate. Then one day, we were wandering through Ikea and kept coming back to these. One wasn't going to provide enough light, but we only had one junction box in the ceiling. BF (an engineer always looking for random things to engineer) decided to rig up something cool. He put each fixture on a lazy susan base and then mounted them to drawer sliders. It sounds crazy, but now both fixtures are centered over the table, and we can pivot them 90 degrees and slide them apart. This is perfect for my great grandmother's dining room table with 4 leaves!

It's hard to show in the picture, but I hope you can see that it does actually move. It's really very cool, and ended up costing around $100 total. Probably the least expensive light fixture I've ever bought.

{{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

That last one is great: flexible to adapt to the different table sizes. Since so many people have tables with leaves, lighting designers should take a page out of your BF's book--or he should become a lighting designer.

• jlyn
    13 years ago

clemsonian - very clever! looks great...
    mom2reese - your house is gorgeous!
    so many great fixtures shown above...I love the beaded shades..

Here's my dining fixture (web image; didn't have a good one of my own)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Clemsonian, that's brilliant! He's a serious keeper :) I'd say that one project puts him in the upper echelon of g'web spouses/boyfriends all by itself. So the wires aren't compromised by the swiveling?

Must show it to DH, who made my evening by telling me we could finally reconnect an exterior light fixture (the PO had done something weird with it and the light was nonfunctional since we bought the house in 2003!). I will now be able to use the second of a pair of cobbled-together vintage outdoor sconce lights I found at salvage and modded, but of which I've had only one up for a few years now. REALLY fabulous, for me. But your BF's work is possibly even more fabulous, design-wise :)

• clemsonian
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your kind words, you should have seen the smile on BF's face! Hopefully he's encouraged to go do some other projects now. ;) arlosmom, I love both fixtures you posted. Kinda steampunk! flyleft, please post pics of your vintage sconces, I always love seeing salvaged stuff put back to good use.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

It's going up today, with any luck. I'll try and take a pic. So excited. It has an up and a down light, and the spaces are both large enough to use 100-watt-equivalent cf bulbs.

bestyears, meant to say that's a great fixture! Arlene Pickard deserves lots of credit.

Hmmm, I just found at Goodwill some old brass (*heavy*, antique or very old 'vintage') swing arm lamp infrastructure..you're inspiring me to keep it and cobble things together to do a little steampunk moment myself :)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have really enjoyed this thread and the variety of fixtures.
    Here is one of my favorites, everytime someone mentions how horrible brass is, I think how much I like this chandelier over our table.

• bepeace
    13 years ago

Flyleft - I am trusting the antique dealer that it is Murano. He had 5 total and I bought 2 (the one in the picture is the actual pendant) - they're circa 1950s from a Canadian hotel. The wiring is definitely old, and I'll never know for sure about the glass, but I really like them.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I love all the lights... All of them. The black chandy,
    Mitch's cool kitchen chandy that can extend, redroze's
    bathtub chandy, the black bat, nicole's drum shade,
    deborahnj beautiful chandy... all amazing. And Okaleyok
    thanks for this topic. Seeing so many lights is giving
    me some great ideas for my home.

I have the ugliest lights imaginable. I won't even disturb
    you by pasting their image. But here is a beautiful one
    that I dream of. If I could have any light in the entire
    world this would be in my home.

~boxerpups

Murano Venetian design

• powermuffin
    13 years ago

This is so fun - from old to modern!
    Arlosmom - love your fixture.
    Sparklekitty, try Urban remains for old lights. http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/

In my old house, I have only one old light and this is it. I love, love, love this light. I got it for $18 off of CL.

• teacats
    13 years ago

In a nod to my darker side -- I adore these light fixtures -- but no! still don't have them at home!

Perfect for my Halloween! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: My fav light fixtures

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Just kidding, this is over the top even for me. But I do have some lanterns in the kitchen that I like. I am a lamp person and probably have 14 of them, but now I want to change them.

{{!gwi}}

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Wow, powermuffin...I can just imagine when you saw that ad...did shivers run up your spine? It's so completely perfect for its place. That's a Splendid fixture.

• demifloyd
    13 years ago

Lots of interesting light fixtures!
    I love the bat light.

This is my favorite light--my husband and I first saw these reverse hand painted fixtures years ago while on vacation and he always wanted one for our retirement home.

• skywatcher
    13 years ago

Original fixtures from our 1908 Craftsmen house. I couldn't choose a favorite, so I narrowed it down....

Dining Room

Sconces in dining room

Breakfast Room (this style is in all the bedrooms upstairs also)

Foyer