Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you paint a fabric lamp shade?

Posted by peachiepie (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 11:04

I have a lamp shade that I really like and I want to change the color because I can't find a black one that would work with my base. Anyone ever painted a shade before? This is a fabric shade.

Please give me your suggestions about how I might do this using a spray product. Please recommend a spray product. I am open to any and all suggestions. I am in the midst of doing a foyer/lr/dr refresher.

Thanks.

Peachie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you paint a fabric lamp shade?

I don't know for sure but I know Genevieve did it. (paint fabric that is) They do make fabric paint for doing things like making designs on fabric. Try your local crafts store. I just don't know how good the black would cover. Or you can try a black spray paint if you decide that your shade just doesn't work in it's present color and know that if it doesn't work your shade will be ruined.

o

I know people of this board have done it successfully, but I tried it and the shade looked horrible when the light was turned on.

o

As Newhomebuilder says, you could do it, but since it's fabric, it would probably look splotchy when you turn the light on. Especially since you want it to be black.

Most black lampshades are opaque -- which means that they are made of paper, or cardboard.

Have you looked online for a replacement shade?

o

Hi ladies,

Thanks for commenting.

I have tried to find a black shade locally but had no luck. Will have to get the dimensions of the shade I have and search the Internet. There has got to be black shades.

Again, thanks.

o

If you can post a photo of the shape you want, and the dimensions that you need, we'll help you.

o

I think cliffandJoan painted her chandelier shades and she is very pleased. I probably got her name wrong-sorry!

o

How about just gluing a new fabric on it?

o

Since it's (made of) fabric you could try dyeing it in a vat of black dye -- I would order some of the good fiber reactive dye and not just use the Rit stuff. Or you could look to see if there is a business in your area that does fabric dyeing and talk to them.

o

Thanks so much everyone. I found a replacement shade at Lighting Direct. Comes with free shipping. Should have within a week.

Love this site. Always good suggestions and advice. I'm appreciative.

o

Wooo-hooo!

Good news, peachiepie. Thanks for letting us know!

o

Hi mclarke,

One thing I left out of that is LD has a code for $25 off certain items-code is WELCOME25. Got a buffet lamp for $27.

Peachie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here