Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachiepie_gw

Can you paint a fabric lamp shade?

peachiepie
14 years ago

I have a lamp shade that I really like and I want to change the color because I can't find a black one that would work with my base. Anyone ever painted a shade before? This is a fabric shade.

Please give me your suggestions about how I might do this using a spray product. Please recommend a spray product. I am open to any and all suggestions. I am in the midst of doing a foyer/lr/dr refresher.

Thanks.

Peachie

Comments (11)

• pris
    14 years ago

I don't know for sure but I know Genevieve did it. (paint fabric that is) They do make fabric paint for doing things like making designs on fabric. Try your local crafts store. I just don't know how good the black would cover. Or you can try a black spray paint if you decide that your shade just doesn't work in it's present color and know that if it doesn't work your shade will be ruined.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

As Newhomebuilder says, you could do it, but since it's fabric, it would probably look splotchy when you turn the light on. Especially since you want it to be black.

Most black lampshades are opaque -- which means that they are made of paper, or cardboard.

Have you looked online for a replacement shade?

• peachiepie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi ladies,

Thanks for commenting.

I have tried to find a black shade locally but had no luck. Will have to get the dimensions of the shade I have and search the Internet. There has got to be black shades.

Again, thanks.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

If you can post a photo of the shape you want, and the dimensions that you need, we'll help you.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I think cliffandJoan painted her chandelier shades and she is very pleased. I probably got her name wrong-sorry!

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

How about just gluing a new fabric on it?

• lottamoxie
    14 years ago

Since it's (made of) fabric you could try dyeing it in a vat of black dye -- I would order some of the good fiber reactive dye and not just use the Rit stuff. Or you could look to see if there is a business in your area that does fabric dyeing and talk to them.

• peachiepie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. I found a replacement shade at Lighting Direct. Comes with free shipping. Should have within a week.

Love this site. Always good suggestions and advice. I'm appreciative.

• mclarke
    14 years ago

Wooo-hooo!

Good news, peachiepie. Thanks for letting us know!

• peachiepie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi mclarke,

One thing I left out of that is LD has a code for $25 off certain items-code is WELCOME25. Got a buffet lamp for $27.

Peachie

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler