Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

The latest antique chair project

My3dogs ME zone 5A
11 years ago

I'm learning something each time. I wanted to use the original nail heads on the re-do, so carefully pulled them all out. But, the walnut is so hard, that many were bent as they were first put in. It's much easier to straighten them out AS you pound them in, than try to do it before hand.

I took off the dark old finish with Minwax refinisher, and just used tung oil on the frame after.

$25 CL Eastlake walnut chair before

After, using fabric from my stash

Better view of the birds on the seat as I worked on it last night. I like the way the upper back bird appears to be looking at the 2 on the seat.

Comments (30)

• 30something
    11 years ago

Very pretty!

• sheesh
    11 years ago

Gee whiz!

• teacats
    11 years ago

Wow!! Looks just wonderful!!

You have such a GREAT talent for DIY!! :)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Another wowzers ! And yes, the bird positioning really does add charm.
    Gorgeous fabric from your " stash".

• upa_lazy_river
    11 years ago

absolutely love the fabric. What an outstanding job.

• Laurie
    11 years ago

I love the transformation you made of the wood and the fabric! So much fun to see your projects : )
    Keep it up...you are inspiring me and lots of others!

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

What a fabulous redo! And the wood looks so much better than the dark finish it had.

• dilettante_gw
    11 years ago

My3dogs, you have an amazing eye. I love your fabric and how perfectly you positioned it on the seat and back. And the lighter wood shows off the Eastlake carvings so much better than the dark walnut. Exquisite!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Outstanding! And the bird fabric is NOT too neutral :).

Tell me about the Minwax stripper...does it work well?

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

Love that fabric!

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

Just beautiful. I love your usual attention to detail.
    Dee

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I really do enjoy this new 'craft'. Isn't that fabric great? I've had it for years and it was perfect for this chair.

dilettante, When I did the first chair, I thought for a split second on whether I should leave the original finish,m and knew I'd never forgive myself if I did. No sense in doing all that work, and not going all the way.

Tuesday, Yes, the stripper was great. I did the other chair, that we'll call the 'dog chair' using an OLD gallon can of a stripper that I have probably had for 20 years! It was called Parks Refinisher, and I looked online and saw they stopped making it in 1997. Oops!

I was able to do about 1/2 of this chair with what was left, and then had to head to Home Depot to get some more. The ONLY refinisher they had (not a stripper, as for paint) was the Minwax, so I had no choice. I've linked it below.

I did it outside over a heavy plastic tarp in the shade, using 0000 steel wool and an old toothbrush to get into the carved areas. I'm now looking at refinisher at Amazon, and see there are a few other kinds that I'll have to look into. I think I paid $16.97 at HD plus tax.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minwax 67300 Antique Furniture Refinisher, 1 Quart

• kswl2
    11 years ago

Omgosh, that chair is WONDERFUL! Love the way you positioned the birds and think the fabric and stain colors are perfect complements. Another stellar transformation by My3dogs!

• sable_ca
    11 years ago

My3dogs - I am running out of complimentary vocabulary for your great skill and pitch-perfect eye for color and pattern! Your beautiful home exudes charm and love. This latest chair has made a swan out of a piece that I would have just walked past with pity.

And I LOVE the doggie chair!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! All of your projects are amazing and inspiring.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I love both chairs! I've never used the minwax stripper, but will try to remember it next time.

• loribee
    11 years ago

That fabric is darling! Great job!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much, all! Sable, I know what you mean. That type of chair didn't interest me til I got the first (dog chair) for $10, and thought I'd be able to do something with it. Taking off the old finish and revealing the natural wood, but leaving the patina makes a huge difference.

Plus, you can find remnants of nice fabric on eBay very inexpensively. Combining the two, and coming up with something unique is so much fun (minus the stripping part)!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, you have so quickly developed such skill and talent! I love the fabric and the lighter wood is perfect.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Look at you!

I'm as amazed by your energy and discipline as by your gifts.

Crazy about the positioning of the birds, too.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    11 years ago

Wow! What a charming piece you created! I LOVE the fabric choice, and I'm so impressed with how professionally done it is! I would be thrilled with step-by-step DIY instructions, including photos for others who may want to try something like this too. With your great success, I'm inspired to peruse my local CL for some diamonds in the rough that could be similarly transformed. Great job!!!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

soon,you will need to give tours of your house, stash, gardens,etc. Beautiful, as always. and the little monkey head in the shot is adorable- which one of your pups does that belong to?

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The monkey is everyone's, but Riley is most interested in that type of toy. He loves a hedgehog, a frog that he has pulled all the stuffing out of, the monkey, and many others.

You can see that I cover the furniture with sheets etc, to protect it from them. I noticed that the big bath towel that matches a LR chair was gone the other day, and finally found it part way through a doggie door on its way outside! When I wash toys, he literally crawls into the dryer in his eagerness to get them back.

Jan, I haven't taken pics of the process, but if you are inclined, I recommend watching videos on YouTube as I did. I go there and Google questions when I have them, and boy, there are plenty of answers out there! It also helps to carefully note how the existing fabric is cut and put on. Use the old pieces as patterns for the new.

I'd recommend starting by finding an inexpensive piece like the 'dog chair' which was $10. Make sure it's sturdy and then start the non-fun part that is hard on your hands. Taking off all the old fabric, stuffing, etc...and all the nails, staples; there will be hundreds.

I then strip the wood, as my stuff has been antique pieces with old finish that's darkened. None of mine have required any sanding or repair. If you get that far, come back with questions, and we'll help you!

My next 'victim' arrived today, delivered by a friend who picked it up for me. It's BIG and HEAVY and solid oak. By feel, I can see that there are no springs in this one, just horsehair.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"And the lighter wood shows off the Eastlake carvings so much better than the dark walnut."

oh yes, it looks so much better! love the dog chair too - and the new one. I'm sure the new one will become a swan soon!

copying out your info on refinisher for a few pieces I have that need redone. I'll have to wait until fall to do them - then I'll have all winter to finish them. it's too hot here now. also too many wind/sand storms. maybe I'll have to put me up a 'tent' contraption to work in/under.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

I agree re:the lighter stain. Wood tones used to be so dark, but I think I read some place it was because of the soot,and was a way to keep things from appearing(hiding)dirt. Same applies to darker paint/fabric. True/false? ;o)

• livvyandbella
    11 years ago

Everything you do is wonderful! Always look forward to seeing your projects!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Steph, from your username, I bet it IS way too hot! I did it in the fenced in area of my yard that I call the 'puppy pen'. It's about 60 x 80 and no one can see me when the trees are leafed out. I had a very ratty t-shirt and shorts on, rubber gloves, and a head band that I had soaked in cold water before tying it on. Sweat was dripping out of the gloves, and it was just gross!

Patty, that theory sounds familiar, so I bet it's true! I put no stain on these after stripping; what you see is the natural color of the wood, which is brought out when I put the tung oil on.

Barb! Great to 'see' you, too! I should have known you'd like the dog chair!

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

I had to come check out this new chair! I can see you are wasting no time taking on more of a challenge! I can't wait to see what you will do with this one! I am just anxious to get to my chairs (a pair) but they are only the seat to reupholster the rest of the work will be in the frame.

So, happy to follow you and your wonderful chair tales!

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

Oh I forgot to mention I have your posts saved by using the 'clippings' offered here, easier to find you that way!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! I really love the bird fabric. I really want to find some antique chairs to re-upholster for my dining room. And I only hope I can find some fantastic fabric like you have.