Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amylville_gw

Let's see the front of your house

amylville
15 years ago

Why? Because I am nosey. Actually I really enjoy seeing pictures of everyones beautiful work, and the front is a great place to start!Also what do you like best about it? Here is mine

I love that I have 2 front doors!

Comments (150)

• diddlydoo
    15 years ago

Nothing to be ashamed of if own a smaller home. I posted mine. I love mine just as much as those with big homes love theirs. The bigger the house, the more to clean and I can clean my real quick. lol I actually prefer the look of the smaller homes. They seem more quaint.

• wodka
    15 years ago

Brutuses, I know you've seen my post-Katrina picture of my old house front....I thought I'd make you feel better about yours - ha.

As far as your new home goes, I think it is absolutely charming and have waited eagerly as you post your ongoing pictures. (Loved the new ones of your granite, by the way.)

After losing everything in the storm, our lives were simplified. We just wanted a lot with high elevation, away from the water, and good solid foundation and walls. Sharing it with others and enjoying each day as it comes just adds to the joy. I think there are many beautiful homes, but more importantly, beautiful people on this site, willing to share their experiences and talents with the rest of us.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    15 years ago

We have an 1890 Victorian Bungalow in the South. This was taken this past Spring:

the pool area:

{{gwi:672508}}

{{gwi:672509}}

During the Victorian Porch Tour held every year in our neighborhood:

• zipdee
    15 years ago

I'm also very impressed with all the beautiful homes here, big, small and in between. You can see all the thought and hard work that went into making these houses, loved homes.

Pickyshopper and Diddlydudette, thanks so much for the kind comments. The house was a *serious* fixer-upper when we bought it. What sold me on it though was the front porch (even though it was bad off at the time) and the mature maples out front.

Here's the realtor's ad when we bought the house, this doesn't even begin to show how bad off it was.

From the back before :

• wodka
    15 years ago

trailrunner - your yard is absolutely beautiful (as is your house, but I am especially envious of a fully grown landscape.) Starting over at the age of 58, I'm going to have use a lot of Miracle Gro to see my landscape at its finest!!!

• miles661
    15 years ago

Lenam- I appreciate the kind thoughts but the picture I posted is not my house but instead represents how I choose to feel when I compare the house I live in to all the fabulous homes posted on this thread.

• User
    15 years ago

wodka, you are very kind. I too am trying tp deal with the landscape. I tore out the whole pool area and the whole back yard and am slowly trying to get things to look good. I too am 58 ! I agree not easy.

All of the homes here are BEAUTIFUL...zip I love your home , I am always impressed with what you have done, I could never have managed it. And auntjen's wonderful place and 3dogs...you can tell I am a sucker for the antiques...must be because I am one too :) c

• brutuses
    15 years ago

wodka, every time I see your old house or what was left of it, I cry. There are still people in my neighborhood rebuilding their houses from Katrina water damage. Your new home is so gorgeous. For those of us who could bounce back, we were so blessed.

The elderly man down the street from me is still living in a trailer because his son has still not finished the interior of his house. I feel so badly for him. He's a World War I veteran. Makes me sad.

Miles, how would you judge this gentleman I speak of? What is he because he lives in a trailer through no fault of his own? Mother nature dealt him that hand. Do you think his worthiness is any less than yours or mine because he lives in a trailer? There is a big difference between worth and worthiness.

trailrunner, your house is lovely and those flowers are to die for.

• wodka
    15 years ago

brutuses, one day our flowers are going to look like trailrunner's (I hope, I hope, I hope!) Thank you for your kind words. I wish we lived closer - I think you would be a great neighbor!

We drove into New Orleans for the day last Sunday, first time since Katrina. I know July is not a big tourist month, because of the dreadful heat, but there was no one in the French Quarter. All we really wanted was a muffelatta from The Napoleon House, and it was closed. So we wandered down Royal Street with our company, had a Bloody Mary at the Omni Royal Orleans, then headed back to the car to go back home. Still so much to be done there, and here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I hope your neighbor and the many like him left homeless by storms like Katrina are in a real home soon.

trailrunner, why did you tear up your pool? It looks so cool and inviting!

• texanjana
    15 years ago

I love seeing all of the different styles represented here.

I didn't realize our trees had grown so much until I took this pic! I can't wait to downsize to a small home in a few years.

My favorite spot in the backyard

• miles661
    15 years ago

"Miles, how would you judge this gentleman I speak of? What is he because he lives in a trailer through no fault of his own? Mother nature dealt him that hand. Do you think his worthiness is any less than yours or mine because he lives in a trailer? There is a big difference between worth and worthiness."

Please don't start getting all pious on me. I am one of the last people in this country who can speak to one persons' worth OR worthiness. All I've done is merely relate my belief system as it pertains to the palatial estates posted here. At 40 I simply rent and always will. What I said is that we all measure ourselves by the accomplishements (or in my case lack thereof) of our neighbors.
    And yes- to answer your question, there will be people who look upon that man (or anyone) in a trailer and think to themselves, "At least I'm better off than that."
    It's an ugly truth in our culture that everyone is measured (and judged) by what they have.
    Do I believe rich people are "better" than poor people? It depends on how you define better. Our culture favors the wealthy and the attractive.

• User
    15 years ago

wodka NO I didn't take out the pool !! Just all the plants , last year. What you see is what I have added back in...here is another shot or too of my attempts at landscaping by the pool...newspapers are shading more clemmies !

clematis and jasmine cover most of one wall:

{{gwi:652400}}

brutuses : I thank you...I hope all of your flowers and wodka's bloom and bloom ! I still have a lot of family and friends in N.O. It is where my DH and I grew up. We lived on Chartres and Esplanade. My DB and family lived on Royal and Canal until he retired 1 1/2 yrs ago. SIL lived on Arnoult in Metairie till she couldn't get anyone to finish rebuilding her home. She is in Ohio now, taking care of her elderly Mom. My nephew moved from Upperline to River Rd.

Yes there is almost nothing left and the return to "norm" I am afraid will be long in coming , if ever. My home , that I grew up in will never be rebuilt, it was on Cartier St and my DH's home right by the breach in the canal was rebuilt and has folks living in it.

Time is all we can hope for...to mend ...c

• wodka
    15 years ago

Miles, I just pulled up your page and went to your blog....who are you fooling - you have a beautiful home and are apparently very talented! So what if you rent - you have filled your home with beauty and love, from what I've seen and read. That's all that should matter.

Perhaps because you are young (yes, 40 is young) but with age does come wisdom. One day you will discover that there are many kind people in the world, some wealthy, some not so much, but kindness is not measured by wealth or a home's square footage. Perhaps, just perhaps, you worry too much about what other people think. Life is too short to waste time on such. Good luck to you...

• natal
    15 years ago

Threads like this always make me uncomfortable.

At 40 I simply rent and always will.

Miles, I'm amazed at your sewing skills! Love the patio! But your blog says you bought the house a year ago.

The home of dh's tools and my gardening stuff...

• wodka
    15 years ago

trailrunner - thank goodness about the pool! I'm feeling cooler already, knowing it's still intact. ha. I love your jasmine - one of my alltime favorites.

I love Esplanade - one of my favorite streets when we lived in New Orleans. We rented ("horrors!") for 9 years in the Warehouse District and loved every second of it.

• miles661
    15 years ago

*sigh*

My partner "owns" the house. Technically speaking I rent from him (very long story). I have the priviledge of living here and he allows me the freedom to decorate as I'd like (at my expense of course).
    Thank you for the kind compliments on a very modest tract home. I am finally setting up a sewing room (in the spare bedroom) so that I can resume doing window treatments and soft-lines for clients, friends and family.
    But I don't live under any false pretense: Should something happen to the relationship OR to my partner I walk away with nothing more than I came with. So I don't live here as though this house is "mine" or "ours". What I do is create an illusion.
    So, to be completely upfront here is a picture of the front of the house I live in. I do the building in this family- so the fence, the fountain- that's all me. DP does most of the landscaping and maintenance. Sorry- but I don't yet have a picture of the whole front- just a partial.

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Miles: LOL! I visited your blog. You're a riot. Keep it up. :)

• nancyr
    15 years ago

Here's mine in southern Oklahoma where it's 103 degrees today!

{{!gwi}}

• wodka
    15 years ago

nancyr - thank goodness you have those beautiful shade trees!!!! Nice house!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

We don't have a 'front' exactly, and our home is more about all we live with....... these are only a few...

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• lyfia
    15 years ago

miles - I don't care if you own it or not. That is one gorgeous entry. You've got some talent.

Here is one of ours taken a few months after moving in. I've since added one flower bed by the garage, never got around to add them around the porch before it got too to be in the 100's and I decided our water bill would benefit from waiting (although I do xeriscaping).

{{!gwi}}

• flora126
    15 years ago

I've had a great deal of fun looking at everyone's lovely homes. Here's mine.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    15 years ago

Okay, so I'm like over a hundred posts late to this party, and all of your homes are so beautiful. I'm posting mine below. What I like most about our house is where it's located - among nature with its trees and breathtaking seasonal changes. I hope you enjoy them.

Here are some pictures of the front of the house:

{{gwi:25377}}

{{gwi:25378}}

View of Front Yard:

Back Patio:

Winter in my Wisconsin Back Yard:

• User
    15 years ago

miles you are one very talented person ! WOW. I found your intro about "you" to be very honest and moving...I will just say we have some things in common and I wish you lived closer.

I love all the animal pics bodica...you have baeutiful roses too !

natal...can I move into the shed...I LOVE IT !

lyfia I am with you on the water...2nd year of a level 4 drought here. c

• laurmela
    15 years ago

Love, Love seeing and reading about everyone's beautiful homes. So nice to see we are all different, but yet the same!

Human beings that all care about making our houses homes!

Laura ")

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Here is mine, It is a 1923 house in a neighborhood of old homes. My DH grew up here. We can walk to the library and the village.
    My favorite part is when the roses are in bloom around the front porch. The first photo is this past May the rest are last year. DH wants to replace the steps and railing this fall. Sue

{{gwi:686484}}

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Thank you trailrunner!

• denali2007
    15 years ago

cooperbaily

You're the first house I've seen with the flag flying. Good for you. I usually fly one but my porch railing is broken and we took it down.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow, I'm off the board for a couple of hours and boy did I miss a lot.

jan, your winter shots are postcard worthy. So beautiful is your home and property, all seasons.

bodica, you're so lucky to live out there in "God's" country with all those beautiful animals.

taxanjan, my sister would love to come visit you and sit on your porch enjoying your beautiful sanctuary.

nancyr, thank goodness for shade trees. I tried replanting a tree this fall in front since Katrina took the two I had. Unfortunately, I wasn't keeping a close enough eye on it and it died. Now it's too hot to plant anything, I'll have to wait till fall.

trailrunner, I didn't realize you and your family lived here. Sorry you had to leave your home.

natal, I love, love, love your shed. It's so adorable.

wodka, my mom grew up on Esplanade Ave. My memory is of my aunt's home. What I wouldn't give to have that house today. It was so beautiful. Next time you're coming to town, send me an e-mail if you'd like to stop by to visit and see the house. You might want to wait till it's finished and a lot cooler. LOL

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

How lucky are we that we have freedom of choice and the ability to have so many wonderful things including beautiful homes! Thanks for the sharing!

• ambitiousbeginner
    15 years ago

dixiedo,

Your plants are lovely. Are those Barberry Bushes mixed in? The purplish plants.

ambitious

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

cooperbailey, I love your house. Funny, though, when I see it I think of *George* Bailey :)

Exterior questions: What kind of tree is that? and what's going on with the bushes?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

O.K., here's an update on the house, and a closeup of the poor misunderstood house numbers, and some WIP shots of the salvage exterior sconces I'm modding :). (Also uploaded a WIP mosaic project pic, for some folks on an e-mail list :), but that's not relevant here)

Here is a link that might be useful: house and more

• brutuses
    15 years ago

fly, beautiful and unique home. Love that stone wall in the bath, very pretty. Are you actually doing that mosaic? That is awesome.

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

Love the diversity here.

On the old house side, here's mine mocked up with the garden that I intend to install in the front this fall. Of course, it will be 5 years before it looks like this...

And here is the poor thing when we purchased it 2 years ago...

• User
    15 years ago

ah Sue those roses and that porch....you KNOW how much I love it !!

fly : those mosaics !! wow !! I love the new garage doors and the color is perfect. That stone in the bathroom...wow !

brutuses: my DH and I lived on Chartres and Esplanade in 1971, then Mirabeau Apts, near Parkchester Shopping Center and then by City Park all back in the '70's. My family all stayed...we migrated away. My "house" where my folks lived and where I grew up ,sits full of mold and was gutted and then left to rot. We have only been back one time 1 1/2 yrs ago. We are going again in the fall. I will post when we are going. We will stay with BIL and SIL in La Place. c

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

Fly, the house turned out just gawwwgeous! I can't understand what your neighbors would be objecting to? Seriously...it looks GREAT and I love the house numbers too!

• acoreana
    15 years ago

Wow! The beautiful homes in this thread are as varied as the decorating styles we all enjoy :)

Here's our little place:

What first attracted me to it was that it had slightly more linear/asian lines (which DBF likes) in comparison to the arched mediterranean style homes I had been viewing.

• wodka
    15 years ago

bungalow, I love your open porch and your plan for your flowers/shrubs, and your new color looks really nice, stepping stones, etc. It looks like you've done a lot in two years. Congrats.

• User
    15 years ago

jan and bungalow I missed yours ...WOW...that snow...and I am a sucker for porches on bungalows :) !!

jan I used to come up there and do the Kettle Morraine Ultra...do you know where that is ? I love concrete ( ice cream ) it is so RICH. We used to go to a place that served it as a reward when we were done running.

acoreana : beautiful and I love the landscape.c

• kats
    15 years ago

I haven't posted the front of my house...which actually if I post will most likely be the back of my house since it faces the main street and everyone "THINKS" it's the front....b/c I haven't taken a new photo since before we moved in....and that was a year ago....and the roof wasn't even on it in that old picture I could post.....but I have a dentist appointment this morning so maybe I'll try to take a picture on the way back.....don't you just love run-on-sentences?

Anyway, this thread has turned out so neat. I was afraid up front it was going to be something else. And now after coming back to it SO LATE the one thing that strikes me is that we all really (and I mean REALLY) love and care about our homes. The thing I've been seeing over and over is they aren't just average well maintained homes but they all have this kind subtle aura about them. The way they're all landscaped with beautiful flowers and greenery (we're still putting that stuff in). These are happy places aren't they? And that is so cool.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

trailrunner, look forward to hearing from you.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    15 years ago

Trailrunner - Wow, I am familiar with the Kettle Moraine, and while we are a family of runners, we've never run that far! Wow! What can I say?!!! No wonder you chose "trailrunner" for your screen name. :o)

Good for you!

Jan

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Thanks, brutuses, trailrunner, & lindybarts, my compatriot :)

brutuses, yes, at long last I'm finally getting to finish the last part of the backsplash for the darn kitchen that brought us here in 2004! I had to put it on hold while we did the rest of the downstairs. I took it out to do even though we'll be starting on DD's bath upstairs imminently. That project is killing my right hand, though, so I *did* get a grinder, btw :) (bought from eBay yesterday--I'm so excited to receive it--I'd asked folks on the mosaic list about what grinder to get--this one looks good because it mounts at an angle so I can sit down and grind and avoid "mosaic neck", in addition to saving my right hand from the grinding stick. It's the only one that's designed this way--it should be marketed as the ADA grinder or the grinder for the AARP crowd or something like that :) -- I expect it will get more and more market share as folks age)

trail, the garage door is not new yet -- it's just cleaned up and painted. When I get the new one it will have windows, probably (unless Dh objects at last minute) and fit with the house better. OH, and DD is starting cross-country this year (the longest she's competed in is 3K before, but that's on a track) -- any tips for handling uneven terrain?

lindy, thanks for sticking up for the house numbers. What's cool is that all those colors (I do love color--kind of a maximalist modernist? :)) in the numbers are picked up in the landscape, and you can see them both in the same field of vision. Sorry neighbors, no simple painted wood plaque at this house :))

• brutuses
    15 years ago

fly, can't wait to see it mounted. That is so cool!!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Fly- Thanks. Its a weeping cherry. We planted it about 15 years ago, and yah too close to the house. learned a lot a little late! We still need to do much on the outside when we finish the inside.
    LOL! My DH cut the laurel shrubs back by 1/3 last summer- they were taking over. They are nice and green again! I think he should have cut them back even harder. And for the life of me I cant think of who "George" Bailey is?? Just got back to work after vacation.
    LOVE your house numbers! and everything about your house. Too bad we dont get to pick our neighbors!

Denali- the flag flies 24/7,365. After 9/11 we realized how precious and fragile our freedoms are to us, so we didnt take it down whem the others took theirs down. The folks across the street fly theirs too.

Trail, thanks for your kind words.

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

jan in wisc-- Can I come sit on your porch? You have a beautiful home that just breathes peacefulness!

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

auntjen - do you live in Lakewood? A friend of mine lives in a house similar to yours on Victor - that anywhere close to you?

denali - mine has a flag too ;-)

I love the older southern homes, big and small, and I like the newer ones like acoreana's, in fact I can't see one I don't like!

Miles, I think there's something deeper going on with your posts; "At 40 I simply rent and always will."

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten. YOU have the power, I hope you realize that someday. You obviously have talent - make good on it.

• sallen2008
    15 years ago

my3dogs, what color is the exterior of your house? Is it vinyl or cement? Your house looks very much like a home...I love it!

• acoreana
    15 years ago

Thanks trailrunner (whose home I covet :))!

You're very kind compliment made me smile ear to ear, lol.