Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadey_gw

help with nedutral paint color!

shadey
9 years ago

Hi All,

We have been renovating this house for months and I have gone over the paint options a zillion times and cannot seem to make a decision.

This is a large living room with fabulous north facing windows overlooking a lake. The room also opens to a tv den, which you see, also with a north facing large window, and a kitchen on the other side, with north windows. Lots of north light ... not much other light. The south side of the room opens to a long hallway -- which has no natural light.

I want to be neutral and not busy. The moldings and architectural details on the fireplace wall will be same color as room, but with details popping through a higher sheen but I will hightlight the fireplace surround and soon to be expanded crown modling (which will extend into the ceiling to make it appear higter) with white trim.

I want a warm neutral but have tried so many and they seem so yellow in the room -- carrignton beige, bracken biscuit, cornice tan...

I really like grant beige in the room but a decorator tells me I will hate it in winter and that it will be very flat and cold. Also, I want deeper colors that coordinate with the main room color in the tv den and kitchen --

Again, I do sort of like grant beige in main room with sandy hook grey in others ... but will it be too cold in winter with icy snowy light reflecting off the lake?

Cabinets (which can be viewed from the main room) are Montery WHite. The floors are white oak (old but just sanded in this pic) and will be finished with Tsung Oil which deepens and brings out a warm glow -- not too yellow or oranage -- Also, most of my furniture is warm -- brownish/goldish dark to mid tone woods and some red accents.

Thank you!
Shadey

Comments (7)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

wow. It looks like a gorgeous room, nice wood detail!

North facing, warm furniture with brown/gold tones with red accentsâ¦warm floors which emit a golden glowâ¦

Not a neutral, but I'd TRY BM New York State of Mind, especially if you're going to be hanging paintings, mirrors, etc., leaving trimming wall area. It'll be rich and luxurious in winter, cool and calming in summer.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 11:28

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous rooms! I don't have a color to suggest, but I've found that sometimes you have to go with a custom color, as much of a pain as that is, to get a color that looks good in your room in all seasons.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Or, Benjamin Moore Prussian Blue.

• msrose
    9 years ago

If you're drawn to Grant Beige, I'd go with it. It's a pretty color.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

youll HATE it in winter?
    Extreme for any neutral color. Im a blueaholic so also vote blue - wow, the posted New York State of Mind and Prussian Blue Im making note of (they do look like twins).

But that aside and while Im not a fan of gray tones, the grant beige and sandy hook clearly compliment each other and see them working with that flooring and white cabinets. For gray tones, they do seem to be on the warm side.

Colors can reach us on a gut level. When you check similar colors and then come back to grant / sandy hook, do you like them even more or not as much.

Has your decorator recommended similar colors? If not, sounds like they just dislike them to make such a strong statement about these nice colors (and again, thats from a non-gray fan). Make sure they arent getting caught up in their own vision for the room versus assisting you with your own vision.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The floors are bouncing a lot of yellow onto the walls.

Good old "Swiss Coffee", perhaps mixed at double strength, would be on the warm side but not yellow out on you.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Match the cabinets and use Monterey White to create a visual flow through the rooms .....

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths