Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danniee48

Really really need some advice on how to transform my living room

danniee48
9 years ago

I've just moved into a new place, and unfortunately it has a very very old fire place which we can remove and is covered by this cover.
Shall we pain't it? Or cover with ornaments? I have no idea what would make it look better.

Also, we have a massive window in the living room but I hate these blinds. I'm thinking that the room would stand out so much more If we had curtains but would it look ok? Also because it has a sort of arch should the curtain pole go in it or on the outside of it?

Any pictures you could post to help or any ideas at all would be hugely grateful

Comments (15)

• danniee48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the window

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

Does the fireplace really look worse than this cover?? It would have been better to have a nice solid cover that looked like a built in and painted the same color as the wall. I would paint that bookcase too or move it elsewhere.

Is the window to the right of the tv? If so, drapes the same color as the wall would help it blend in.

Can you take pictures so that we can see the whole room? It would help us to answer your questions better.
    Diane

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

That is an adjustable radiator cover over your fireplace. I would at least paint if, if not replace it for starters.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Can you drywall over the fireplace?..since you mentioned removing it.

Do you need to cover the window for privacy? If total privacy is not needed you could do a cafe type curtain in the middle. If you need privacy a top-down shade would work or even a Roman shade.

• teacats
    9 years ago

For the fireplace - Yes -- for the quickest fix -- paint the cover fresh white -- and depending on your room -- hang a tall poster or artwork over it. Other ideas depend on the state and safety of the fireplace itself when you remove the cover - you may be able to find a replacement mantel and then add tiles ....

For the window -- yes -- depending on your need for privacy -- check around the shops for a soft Roman-type blind .... or for now -- check around for a matchstick or bamboo blind .......

• danniee48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cant take the fireplace off because we're renting at the moment and the bloke said he didn't want it removed. This is the fireplace that's underneath it.

We've literally just moved in and all the walls are white but there's so much stuff I want to change! I hate the blinds, I don't know if it'd the colour of them or not... We kinda need something covering over there as we get the sun directly in. I know everything doesn't go. Trust me I can't stand it as my old place was very shabby chic but we needed a bigger place asap as we've just had to settle with the design of this room.

Just any ideas for quick fixes would be great. Or anything else I could cover that hideous gas fire with.
    Can't really paint at the moment coz of the baby over wise I would.

Thanks everyone for your help so far

• danniee48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the whole room. I can't stand it. Literally any suggestions would be so much appreciated. If I could I'd redo the whole room.. colour scheme and everything but right now I'm just not in the position to, hence quick fixes is what I'm left with.

I can buy a new cover and shelving but I just don't know what!

• danniee48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

by the way - i love the roman blind idea. would look a lot better than these manky things. thanks so much x

• geokid
    9 years ago

I'd take the cover off the fireplace and put the sofa on that wall. Place a console table between the fireplace and the sofa for display, place for drinks and a lamp, and to keep the sofa from not touching the fireplace. I know it's not on, but you can't be too safe. Like this:

{{!gwi}}

Then put the TV on the wall where the sofa is now flanked by bookcases. Or bookcase on one side and chair on the other.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I think the mantel is nice. I would remove the cover and put a painted fireplace screen over the fireplace box,

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace Screen

• rosie
    9 years ago

Or if that didn't work, how about finding an attractive but inexpensive cabinet with doors, removing the back, painting or refinishing to suit, and sliding that up over it as if it weren't there?

• vedazu
    9 years ago

I'm with Lucy. Nice Mantle.

• Delilah66
    9 years ago

I'm with Rosie. Thrift store cabinet/dresser of some sort that you slip over the fireplace and set the TV on.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Those chairs look huge for the small room. Are they up against a wall? Can they even recline?

I agree the best would be to somehow put the TV atop the rad cover or other unit so that you can place an occasional chair on either side of the TV, so should you have company, you can still have a conversation.

Also window treatments of any kind will certainly help warm up the space. I would prefer drapes on the outside with blinds on the inside, but it doesn't matter much...just get some fabric to soften the look of the windows.

Then some lamps, even if floor lamps, would be really helpful.

• dondoji
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Perhaps you can check out some ideas for you living room design here: http://www.yoursprouts.com/living-room-decorating-ideas

There are some pictures which might give some inspiration