Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Metal vase thingie - what to do with it?

karyn
9 years ago

I just can't quite figure out what to put in this thing! Our decor is leaning towards British Colonial style - tropical/indies/world.

It's just 19" high and 14" across at the widest point. I'm thinking some kind of faux plant/bamboo/grass/flowers but no idea what I'm doing. lol

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (22)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd definitely put a faux grass in there with thin, tall blades.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Whatever you decide, I would line it with a pot or container first.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

At my beach place, I have a similar container that I fill with rolled up beach mats. That may not work for your location but I mention it to suggest you don't limit your thinking to the normal stuff.

Fishing poles? Wooden yardsticks? Something tall and thin and related to a hobby or profession? Old umbrellas? Large, rolled maps?

• tinam61
    9 years ago

ooooh HH has some great ideas. I can totally see the tall rolled maps with your interior!

• crazybusytoo
    9 years ago

Love the idea of the maps!!

You can fill also this seasonally, or with orbs.

If you insert a round tray so it slips under and is hidden by the lip, you can create a place for all those remotes, books, etc⦠The tray could match the color of the nail-heads on the leather chair, or it can be a leather tray.

If anyone in your home still reads a newspaper, it would be a nice place for rolled up newspapers to land too.

This post was edited by crazybusytoo on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 12:47

• crazybusytoo
    9 years ago

simple moss spheres

• crazybusytoo
    9 years ago

If you're still thinking about greeneryâ¦

• teacats
    9 years ago

Really wonderful ideas above!!! :)

Our house is decorated with slightly Brit Col feel -- and I would love to see a large faux fern in that gorgeous vase -- and yes -- line it first with moss -- then add the faux fern .... or faux orchids ..

.... LOVE the idea of rolled towels, maps, moss balls -- Brillant!!! :)

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for these ideas - its not as transparent as the wire basket sample pics, so most of what's inside can't be seen unless it sticks up. One would only see the tops of something like decorative orbs for instance... not that that's bad though!

Tall Rolled up maps sounds particularly interesting if I could source them.

Lining it with moss or a second container inside are good ideas as well - I was struggling figuring out how to get whatever goes in there to stand up relatively straight.

We should probably just use it to toss all our dog's toys into and call it a day! :-)

Seriously though, these suggestions have given me some great ideas to keep in mind while waiting for the perfect thing to appear to me while shopping.

• chijim
    9 years ago

You could put a piece of glass or tray on top and use it as an accent/drinks table.

I had one similar--my slats ran vertically and horizontal in a basket style, and turned it into a lamp.

This post was edited by chijim on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 14:33

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Tall Rolled up maps sounds particularly interesting if I could source them.

Get some old world maps, maps of various regions and states.

Age them, tea-stain them ... whatever you want.

Glue them around PVC pipes or wrap them around gift wrap tubes with the labels or an interesting feature sticking out.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like map suggestion best. I also thought of feathers from a large bird or good sized seashells.

• stolenidentity
    9 years ago

umbrellas and walking sticks

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

That is so charming! Before I saw the post of orange orbs, my first thought was contrasting oranges or lemons. The make same bad artificial ones but Ive packed away some pricer, real looking ones that amused many who took one out, thinking they were real.

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I liked the old maps idea for our decor theme - if not for this then maybe for other areas - and found some cheap reproductions from China on Ebay - I'll just have to age them.

I'm going to keep an eye out for orbs or other things to fill it with as well... since it is not really transparent on the bottom I could probably use filler underneath to keep the expense down if I go that route.

One challenge with tall objects in there is the inner height is only 12" yet 10" across so things tend to lay sideways too much.

Still working on this with new fresh ideas thanks to everyone!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i would probably go with it being the dogtoys bin too! lol

decoratively, i would probably try to make a faux/dried plant arrangement in it or possibly even put a real plant in a pot in it.
    maps, unless i happened to be a map collector, would be too contrived for me--- and my puppy would constantly be running off with them, i'm sure!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Faux Osage Oranges or Hedge Apples

• erinsean
    9 years ago

I would line it and put a live plant in it. However, is it top heavy? If not, how about a piece of plexiglass on top and make a small chairside table?

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up going for maps - I got some very cheap ones from China on ebay - I might end up adding some distress to them, but for now I kind of like the look.

Before those arrived I also bught many various size orbs made from rattan, etc. and filling it with those looked good too but I ended up using them on some bookcase decor instead.

Thanks again to all who replied!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

karyn,

Your maps look great! Can you list the eBay seller/s that you bought then from? I've been looking for some 'antique map' wallpaper that I like, but no luck.

I've loved this bathroom for years, but have never found the paper. On close examination I think the walls are fabric. :-(

Your maps may satisfy my desire to at least have an antique looking map in a half bath I'm re-doing!

• karyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the ones I got - $14.72 total - shipped.

$8.50 for four maps

One for $3.41 (USD)

One for $2.81

This post was edited by karyn on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:17

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

Thanks VERY much!