Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

These boob lights have to go

lorishopaholic
9 years ago

I just posted about my kitchen island lights and I thought while I am at it I should get opinions about my foyer/hall as well. We had this house built 2 years ago and just had these as a builder option. We had other prioritys on the house but we are finally ready to address these boobs. Lol. I am wondering if we should just do can lights in place of these. I can't really find a flush or a semi-flushmount that I am crazy about. I like some of the semi-flush with the fabric shade but I'm not sure if that would look too modern in my home. I thought about lanterns as well but maybe too over done as someone said in my kitchen post. I have a chandelier in the tall open part of my foyer so I'm not sure what I need here. Unfortunately my eye is drawn to the boob light when I come in thru the front door. Ugh!

Comments (28)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chandelier in open foyer

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I wasn't sure at first, but I really like our foyer light. Perhaps it would work for you....it stays fairly close to the ceiling but has the diameter to support the larger space.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Omgosh!!!

I have a couple of the exact same lights. And they do look like boobs.

Similar style in foyer.

If you can't find anything you love I would live with them a little longer and keep looking. It's only been 2 yrs.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I have no problem with can lights. Some areas look better with a ceiling that is uninterrupted by fixtures. The newer smaller can/pot lights are even better because you don't feel like you are standing under a small sun when they are lit.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yeah, boob lightsâ¦gotta go.

I'd put recessed lighting in there and a lamp on the console table, and put it on a timer. I love lamps in foyers!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Just remember that with surface mount lights, the box is about 4" square or octagonal and a few inches deep where even the remodel-type recessed cans are much larger, taking up more space inside the ceiling cavity, so you may have some obstructions to placement in the exact same spots where the current fixtures are.

• User
    9 years ago

There are shallower recessed cans especially for remodeling that are much shallower, they are referred to as "cut in" lights.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would replace the boons with cans

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Uh oh, Do I smell a for sale sign? LOL. Are you beginning to see every flaw in house that exists or does not exist? Your house is lovely and I agree with KSWL on lighting. Some of that yesteryear stuff that has been so trendy is that indeed. No more bell jar, enough of chandeliers of every style and size. That is JMHO so take it for what it is worth, absolutely nothing.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone! My gut said can lights but I wanted to be sure! I will post a picture once it is done. Patricia43- no for sale sign here. We are just starting to fix some of the little things that I didn't care for from the get go but knew I could live with for awhile. It seems I can't leave well enough alone. Lol!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Yes my foyer light may collect bugs...not many in our area...but they are easy to dust out with my swiffer...

I like can lights and find them useful, but in a foyer, I think it deserves the drama and jewelry of a nice fixture.

• User
    9 years ago

"It seems I can't leave well enough alone. Lol!"

You have just described everyone here where decorating is concerned :-).

• amj0517
    9 years ago

Annie - I'm starting to shop for replacement lights. Can you share a link for the light pictured above? At this time I'm looking for a light over the island, and a coordinating light over the kitchen table... Plus one more to replace the boob over the sink ;)

Thanks.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

LOL- my best friend and I call those boob lights, too! Kind of relieved we aren't the only ones!

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

I have a very pretty "boob" light in my small entry. It plays well with the Kilim Beige ceiling, dark dramatic walls and travertine floor. Like Annie said it adds drama and jewelry. Having said that, I wouldn't want them dotting the ceiling. You have a very pretty home!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Well, we like boob lights around here.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Tib, KSWL, Annie, Anele, and May helped me with my lighting dilemma this weekend. Maybe it or something similar would work for you.

May and I think it may be a saggy boob light but I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: A better boob light

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Sorry for the late reply...I didn't see the request, amj.

Here's a link from lamps plus.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux alabaster ceiling fixture

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

Holly Kay, that's not a saggy boob, it's a piece of art! It's beautiful :)

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I thought I was the only one that noticed they look like boobs. I've always called them "boob lights", such an ugly design that's used everywhere.

• rgps
    9 years ago

First we have grey everything to match our hair and now we have saggy boob lights. What's next? Wrinkled upholstery?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Monica, I love it! I am using it in my bedroom and thinking about using two larger semi flush versions in my stairway and foyer. Every review I can find gives them great marks. I haven't found one negative.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly-kay that light is really pretty! I thought since this thread came back up I would post pictures after our boob removal! We just did it last week and I love the clean look! Plus we added in a few more lights where it was a bit dark. The old boobs cast a yellow tint on everything which I didn't even notice until we changed them out. So happy with it!

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking up in foyer

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Much brighter and prettier! And I see you painted your console table champagne to match the mirror. Very nice :)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh, it looks beautiful. I thought it was a new post. When will I ever learn to check the original posting date?

• amj0517
    9 years ago

Looks great Lori! Thanks for the link Annie.