Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bird_lover6_gw

I'm loving these colors! Can I see your 'gray' living rooms?

bird_lover6
13 years ago

Oh, my goodness. I have large swatches of Behr Silver Sage and Behr Light French Gray on my bedroom wall and I am swooning over these colors.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know silver sage has been done to death, but my house has been painted in very warm colors for years, and these are like a breath of fresh air here in the hot Houston area.

I just painted my family room a pale gold (as compared to the previous darker gold), and I'm kicking myself for not being brave enough to go more to the cool side.

And these colors look so much better with black and white photography, which I could never figure out how to incorporate more than a photo or two into previous color schemes.

By the way, Behr Silver Sage, RH Silver Sage, and Pratt & Lambert Moss Lake are very, very, very close. :)

Enough ramblings...

Comments (15)

• dgranara
    13 years ago

This is a Glidden color called "Scroll Beige" in my living room. It doesn't have the greenish undertones of some of the other popular greys, but I love it nonetheless...

• ttodd
    13 years ago

My grey LR is in the process of going bye bye but I do adore gray. Always have, always will! My MBR is returning to grey in the very, very near future and DD's room is waiting to be done in grey w/ pops of pale pink. I just got grey matelesse' curtains for her room.

One of the reasons that I am changing from light filled greys in this house is because I always envision light filled airy rooms sans curtains or w/ wispy curtains and living in town, well, that ain't gonna cut it! Our next home will be filled w/ varied greys since we will not be living in close proximity to neighbors.

Any hoo - I could go on about grey forever! A few of ny curent favorite blogs are:

Dreamy Whites

and

French Larkspur

Lovely inspiration!

You can find a link to French Larkspur in another thread of mine and below I will post the link to Dreamy Whites.

These blogs are both very light filled, airy French style decorating. You can do heavy decorating w/ grey and how wonderful is that too? Very wonderful!

I so dig the daughters bedroom in Dreamy Whites!

I am actually close to calling a color consultant to assist in picking a range of greys and white for my kitchen cabinetry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreamy Whites

• bird_lover6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Danielle, that's a very pretty color.

I'm just loving the blue/green grays. Light french gray is actually a blue in bright light, and grayer in less light.

Here's a bathroom done in Light French Gray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Behr Light French Gray

• bird_lover6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ttodd, thatnks for the links! I do love those dreamy whites, but they aren't very practical around here except for my bedroom. :)

• bestyears
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see your room. I'm thinking of going greyish in my family room too. Definitely going to go get swatches of those you mentioned.

bird_lover -didn't realize you were in the Houston area -me too! I posted some pretty bird fabric under your "spa color" post. Don't know if you saw it yet.

• bird_lover6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, silver sage looks just like the Resoration Hardware color, and isn't gray at all. And the light french gray has a bit more blue than I'd probably put in my living room, but I'm definitely going to go towards a blue gray.

Did you see the photos in the link I provided?

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Bird Lover - Re: Dreamy Whites - should you like and have the time, scroll through her blog. Both her LR and DD's bedroom are grey not white.

• caseyrose
    13 years ago

Great post. I'm loving all the grays, here and elsewhere. I have always been a COLOR person---yellow family room, peach kitchen, blue foyer, pink dining room--- and am getting up the nerve to go neutral on the walls. First I was thinking fresh whites, but I am really attracted to these greys.

• bird_lover6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What is it about us that we have to "get up the nerve" to take that dark gold off the wall and go gray? LOL

Honestly, it would be easier emotionally to paint a red wall than to paint a blue gray wall. Weird, heh?

• User
    13 years ago

my first experience with a gray is our Master Bathroom and I feel the same way, they are beautiful colors!

Here's ours it's SW Sea Salt which doesn't photo well but is very calming in person.

In this photo it looks blue

here's a close up and it looks gray green

• caseyrose
    13 years ago

birdlover6--I just always thought neutrals were boring. Now I see them as tranquil, and as great backdrops for colorful furniture, paintings, etc. Also I moved from an old house with lots of character to a new one. I had it painted before we moved in (big mistake--I should have waited, even though it's more of a hassle) and I guess I thought bright colors would give it personality. I do like some of the colors. A small study is apple green with white molding and built-in bookcases. My bedroom is C2 silk which is a gorgeous blue grey and my bathroom is C2 Mistral a deep greyish purple, and another bedroom is aquarium, a gorgeous C2 green. I wouldn't change any of those rooms. But living room, dining room, foyer, kitchen, and maybe family room (currently yellow) could use a beautiful gray palette.

• User
    13 years ago

Birdlover, hope you don't mind I showed the gray in a bathroom. I think the color would look lovely in a living room too. Other colors from SW that I considered and are equally wonderful are SW Comfort Gray and Rainwashed.

• bird_lover6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, that bathroom is gorgeous! Definitely an inspirational photo. :)

• cathrugg
    13 years ago

lukkiirish your bath room is GORGEOUS! Very calming, tranquil feeling yet the details are so classy.

It's how I WISH my bathroom felt...!

cathrugg