Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlingtonvaremodel

Guidelines for console size under wall-hung big screen TV?

Our 8 year old, 50-inch plasma TV died this weekend, and we are shopping for a new one. The 50-incher (that's the diagonal measurement) was sitting on top of a 60-inch console. The console is part of a "media center" set that we bought last year on closeout at Crate and Barrel, so it's not going to be replaced.

We want to go bigger with the new TV. I know a lot of folks on this forum are not into very visible big screen TVs, but we are huge sports fans and enjoy having parties themed around sports events. So we want to go as big as makes sense for the space that we have (at a price point that works for us). We are looking at 60, 65, 70, or even 75 inches (did I mention we are huge sports fans? I am already excited for the Super Bowl and sad that we won't have it in time for tomorrow's Wimbledon men's final).

All of the guidance I've seen for what size TV stand or console to get seems to be centered around furniture that actually holds the TV. It makes sense to me that if the TV is sitting on the stand, the stand has to be wider than the TV. I also would imagine that it's more visually appealing, even with a wall-hung TV, to have the stand be wider than the TV. But is it absolutely necessary? Would it look terrible to have a TV on the wall that is about 2-3 inches wider on each side beyond the edge of the console? We have shelves to either side of the console, but there is open wall space in between, so we have room to play with.

I'm planning to play around with butcher paper taped on the wall but wanted to see if anyone could point me to some rules of thumb. Guidance appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (27)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

A photo of the space would help.
    Personally I would want the console to be wider.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote for the 60-inch TV -- to match the width (and visual "weight") of the existing Crate & Barrel console .....

BUT ... if you do go for a larger TV ... then add a large darker floor vase Or darker floor basket (with a lid) or a plant in a pot (make sure that the pot has a good sized saucer under it) to each side of the console -- to visually balance the size of the larger TV ..... otherwise the whole arrangement may appear to be top-heavy to the viewer ....

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I have a 60" tv sitting on a 62" console and it looks fine, especially because the stand props it up about 5-6 " so visually it does not look like there is only an inch on each side.

I think ideally the console should be wider, but it might look ok to fudge it by just a few inches. Playing around with the butcher paper hung on the wall in various sizes should give you your answer.

• chispa
    9 years ago

The TVs have also changed quite a bit in 8 years. You can probably get a larger screen size that isn't that much bigger overall than your current TV, as the bezels/frames have gotten much thinner. Look at the specs and pick TVs that have the thinnest bezels ... that is assuming you don't need/want speakers on the side.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I do think it matters visually. If the actual tv is wider than the console, it just looks upside-down to me. So I'd shop for the tv first, and figure out the actual width before you make a decision on the console table. (BTW, like you, our BIG-screen tv is also the focal point in our open-concept lr/dr/kitchen. We can always find some sporting event to watch!).

If you don't want to spend a lot, consider an IKEA Besta media cabinet - they look really nice, and are not pricey.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I think it looks better when the stand is larger than the television, but as long as the set-up is sturdy and safe, I think it will be fine. I wouldn't try to fill in the extra space underneath or disguise the difference. It is what it is.

• suero
    9 years ago

A 70" HDTV screen is about 62" wide. I think that would look OK on your console. A larger screen? I'm not so sure.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I second what chispa said. Look for a TV with the narrowest bezel possible. At a home show this fall, I saw one that had a 1/4" bezel. The rest was all TV screen.

We have a 60" TV. DD/DSIL have a 65". If we each did not know exactly what we bought, I don't think we could tell the difference. FWIW a 60" Samsung Smart TV is actually 54" wide.

Also, look into a sound bar instead of speakers. It is 3 to 4 inches high and about 3 feet long. The subwoofer that goes with it is wireless, so we have it tucked away in a cabinet. Our TV is wall mounted in a bookcase and the sound bar just lays on the shelf immediately below it. Totally unobstrusive (the sound bar is unobtrusive. There is no way a 60" TV is unobstrusive. HA!)

Not to turn this into an electronics forum, but also check out the Smart TVs. You can watch on your TV sports that are only available on the internet.

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts so far! Here's a photo (with our temporary TV moved from the guest room and our usual mess on the coffee table).

• aprilmack
    9 years ago

I don't see that your space will allow a larger television. However, I do believe that the way tvs are measured now differ from the way they were measured 8 years ago.

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As it turns out, there's plenty of room - there's more than 7.5 inches on either side of the console between the console and the shelves, and the shelves could also scoot further away if need be. A 75-inch TV (measured diagonally) is just under 66 inches wide, so the TV would be a little less than 3 inches over either end of the console and still have 4 inches between the TV and the shelves.

We just did the butcher paper. It looks ok. Not fabulous, but ok. If I were making the decision myself, I'd probably get a 65-inch that is a smidge narrower horizontally than the console. But DH wants to go big, and I think I can live with it. (If it really ends up bothering me, my back-up plan might be to paint the bottom part of the wall a darker shade that minimizes the contrast between the console and the light gray wall, and then the TV would just be framed between the shelves, where it should fit fine. But that's a lot more complicated than I think will be necessary.)

Thanks again for the help!

• ArlingtonVAremodel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: we are getting the 65-inch (diagonal) that is 58 inches wide. It will fit perfectly! Turns out the picture quality/screen size is optimal for our sports watching, whereas 75 wasn't ideal. Sorry for the false alarm, and thanks for the help.

• jzoobik
    8 years ago

I also have this problem ...please advice!! How to decorate around this small console and large TV

• jzoobik
    8 years ago

• lascatx
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I just saw this, but I think you made a great choice. Super Bowl party to follow? ;)

• ryky1234
    6 years ago

get a new console!!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    6 years ago

@ jzoobik: I recommend doing as teacats advised above on July 5th at 12:41 p.m.

• kaydonbrock
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

move the console over to the end of the tv. then place a floor plant on the other side not going beyond the width of the tv and reaching just under it. hope this will work for you. also mount the tv on the wall.

• Jane F
    6 years ago

I ran across this thread and wanted to say that I have the same media stand — the Moore 60 inch stand from Crate and Barrel. I got it in 2015 and tried to get the matching bookshelves later, but they have been discontinued. Can you post a photo of your new TV on the media stand?

• Claudia Kleber
    4 years ago

I have the same problem. We bought a 4K 65” and my husband wants to mount it on the wall. The space we have is the only wall for the tv. The rest of the consoles come bigger and we have stools to the left side. I am in odds on what to do. Please, some suggestions.

• Claudia Kleber
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Here is my new TV with console and stools to left. My ceiling is also lower and higher to the left.

• juliA
    4 years ago

I have been looking and looking at the large TV and console idea and I just can't figure out how to get the "TV" wall to work. We have an open concept and the other main wall is a large stone fireplace. I will just keep looking and trying to figure it out!!!

• kasanders18
    4 years ago

Claudia Kleber - what about doing an off center floating wall mount unit? it would use some of the vertical space as well. Obviously not so wide as this

• Ashley George
    3 years ago

I love this where did you get this TV stand from

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@Ashley George - if you’re asking about the photo right before your question, I’ve seen many of these for sale. The least expensive option that has good reviews is starting with IKEA pieces of furniture. I’ve never bought anything from IKEA but am trying to decide about how to arrange a media wall. IKEA has some pieces that can be floated even though they aren’t marketed that way. Some of their consoles are meant to be hung on the wall.

I am still considering this option:

Samsung - the frame TVs. Really cool. Come with a lot of art loaded. You pick your frame. TV sits flat against wall.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Ashley George - those are, obviously, styled professional photos. Here are a couple from actual customers on Amazon:

This one shows how it would look at night - not as good but still better than a big, black rectangle!