Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miz_m

Sofa Table Redo

Miz_M
10 years ago

Hi, everyone, I'd like to share our latest project. :)

We found this table on CL, nice solid wood, circa 1980's, not 1950's, as I'd hoped. (It's golden oak, not maple).

We stripped the top, stained it with weathered oak stain, then did the diamonds with Kona colored stain. I painted the base with my PoP chalk paint, Glidden Olive, and stencils with acrylic paint. I'll wax the base, and the top will be poly'ed.

Before, during, and after pics, coming up. If you notice my fiance's wrapped fingers, well ... he has 24 stitches. He's an electrician, there was a freak accident on a job, and he was electrocuted with high voltage (an amount usually fatal). The elecricity exited out his two fingers, pretty much blew them apart. As we're both widowed, I'm sure I don't have to say how scary an ordeal it was. He should be resting, but he's stubborn and hard-headed! :-D

Thanks for looking! :)

Before:

This post was edited by Miz_M on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 10:53

Comments (38)

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

During:

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Resting (finally!)

This post was edited by Miz_M on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 10:33

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank goodness Glenn is good at math and measurements ... I'm NOT. He does the grid for me!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First row, done!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

After! ...

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close-up ... I purposely feathered the stain just a bit.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side view:

Color not so accurate ... the olive is darker in real life.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

You two are so clever! The perfect pair! Your transformations are always a delight to see. Now, if only my DH would be willing to let me paint our old mahoghany junk!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Stenciling. Last picture, thanks for looking. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Well done! Worth all your time and effort!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cyn and Annie! :)

This post was edited by Miz_M on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 10:37

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was very hesitant about the olive base, I Iiked the original stain. But we did a similar table last year, and felt like doing something different.

Our last Harlequin table:

• Oakley
    10 years ago

A few things. WOW on the table. Excellent.

Your BF is a keeper.

Now please tell him to elevate his hand because after having stitches in my fingers, the picture is making them throb again! LOL

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Having done 2 pieces with harlequins on them, I feel your pain! I am SO glad that your fiance was OK - what a horrible thing to happen, but a miracle that he's not hurt worse. I'm so envious that you have a partner to do this stuff with!

You stain with no gloves???? Is that a water based stain? I use those little disposable gloves, but often go through them while stripping or staining, and spend way too long trying to get the stain from under my fingernails.

They're both wonderful, and I like to change things up, too. My fav is the one you did with the stain, as it's so complementary to the top.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ladies! :)

Oakley, I nag him and nag him about elevating his hand, he won't listen! Stubborn man! :-D

My3dogs ... you caught me! :-D I was out of disposable gloves, and did end up with stained nails! It's water-based, so clean up wasn't too bad.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Wowsa! That's gorgeous!! I've also done harlequin, and know what a tedious task it can be, but the beautiful outcome proves it's worth the 'pain'. Are you keeping or selling it?

Your poor guy. Sometimes when a person has been struck by lightening, they're given special powers. Have you heard of Dannion Brinkley? Here's his story. It's very interesting. Keep an eye on your guy. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patty Cakes, thank you!

Funny you say that ... he says he has bionic powers now, and his new name is, "Electro-Man" . :-D

I just call him Sparky. ;-) Thanks for the link, will check it out!

We're selling this one, against my wishes. I want to use it in our kitchen (as an island). So, I'm pricing it at $10,000. (Just kidding!) :-D

This post was edited by Miz_M on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 11:33

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

It looks super!

Hope your fiance recovers quickly (and completely)!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, cat mom! :)

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Looks terrific!

ML

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

LOL Mz_M! Exactly what I would do! ;o)

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, ML! :)

Pattycakes :-D

• natesgram
    10 years ago

I love them both and am envious of your talent. I have a similar table that holds an antique music box. You're giving me new thoughts about it now...

Hope Sparky recovers soon!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Natesgram! :)

I happened to look at this thread on my phone, and was horrified ... the green showing on my cell phone looked lime! So if anyone is viewing this on a phone, I hope it doesn't show like mine. The olive is so much more brown toned in real life.

This post was edited by Miz_M on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 16:45

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow, lovely table redo. BF is a keeper, you make a great pair!!!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

Your transformation gives that table so much pizazz!
    Great job!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    10 years ago

SO impressive! Wow, I love it, as well as your previous project. Great job!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much, Ladies! :)

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

that is so gorgeous, I love it.
    you sure make a great pair.
    best wishes, joann

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Joann! :)

I've said it before, compliments from this bunch are very appreciated! I so admire the talents of this board. :)

• jen9
    10 years ago

So neat! I would never have the patience for something like that. Speedy recovery to your fiance.

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Jen! :)

• citywoman2012
    10 years ago

The fiance ....oops.....I mean the table is just wow.
    There is so much talent on this forum.
    Looking at the finished projects is such a treat.
    Great job.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

Oh gosh! So glad to hear Hunky Sparky didn't get too badly hurt. How frightening!

I am blown away by the transformation. To me, it doesn't even resemble the same piece as before! I absolutely adore it. I'm going to be needing a sofa table for the reno I'm going to do this fall, and I have an old, battered, chippy table I was going to use (currently resides on my front porch) but I'm not loving it-this gives me hope that I can find a CL one and TRY to transform it into something else. For some reason my brain is just not working on the furniture transformations lately.

Boy, if you lived within a couples hours drive, I arm wrestle you for it! I'm really inspired. After I saw that amazing reno on that china cabinet-well...I'm saving your posts for my own redos (maybe I could talk you and Hunky Sparky into a trip to my place?? I'd promise no electrical work!)

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Citywoman, your first sentence cracked me up! Love it. :-D And thank you!

Pesky, thank you!! It makes me feel great to hear you're inspired! I wish we did live close, we'd love to help out. :)

(Love "Hunky Sparky!) :-D

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

You had me at "electrician" . . .

Love the redo. You two are a perfect match!

My friend's dad got struck by lightning TWICE. He did work outdoors, so the first time was more likely, as it happened on the job. It came out his knee! The second time, he and his wife were in bed. The lightning travelled around the round TO HIM.

He is fine!

Speedy recovery to your guy!

• Miz_M
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Anele! :)

Wow! Glad your friend's dad was ok ... scary!!

• citywoman2012
    10 years ago

Sorry Miz.M but I JUST have to respond to Anele's story
    of the man struck by lightening while in bed with his wife.
    Can you imagine the mileage that wife is getting out of that happening??? I can just hear it now, " Oh, yes, I am one hot mama, he never knew what hit him."
    I am still laughing. Since he is fine afterward (thankfully)
    I would milk that story for a long time! lol