Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sundance510

One step forward, two steps back in my kitchen

sundance510
9 years ago

Many of you have already seen my kitchen in various posts. First of all, I am thrilled that I have found my inspiration for my kitchen. I found this while browsing in Kirkland's and it has all the colors I need in my kitchen, including my golden oak color!! I'm going to repaint my island to the antique aqua color. So excited!

Main point of this post is about my light fixtures, which I have posted about before. The consensus was that I should install my ceiling fan and recessed lighting. DH and I got ambitious the other day and decided to tackle that project. Mostly, I wanted to get my ceiling fan up because it's HOT!! Welp.... we ended up taking down all three fixtures, installed two and I still don't have my fan. Humph.

Here's a before shot:

So this is what we found when we took the fluorescent light down....

All that was holding it up was two long screws (NOT in the joist) and 4 tiny machine screws! No box.... yikes.

So we moved on to the dining area chandelier... that box is not in the best shape and isn't for fan support anyways. So we hung a cheap boob light since we now had no central light. We also replaced the light over the sink since that one didn't work (and was ugly). One of the lights is pointed out for now to help light the center of the room. I really like the look of the fixture. Still getting used to shadows though.

So the plan for now is to install a ceiling fan box and fan where the fluorescent was. We will temporarily use the fan light kit and the boob light until we get some recessed lighting. But in the meantime, this is what it looks like in there:

Improvement??

Comments (34)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You just need an Old Work Ceiling Fan Bar Hanger. You just cut a hole in the drywall where the box should have been, slip it in, then turn the adjusting nut until it expands and digs into the joists.

Your inspiration piece is great. It works well with the medallion curtain you love :)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I love, love the idea of aqua. And I'm sure glad that that fluorescent light didn't come down. That could have been a major disaster.
    Love the light over the sink. Are you looking for a fan that would go in style with it?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think that inspiration piece does have the golden oak in it! The antique blue will be beautiful.

Lol @ "boob light". So appropriately named. No doubt some man came up with that invention! Lol.

And, hate to say it, but I'd lower your "This is how we roll" sign a bit, about three inches, so the bottom of it is at the center of the door, between the chair rail and the top of the door.

I think it's going to look great with recessed lighting and a fan.

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant- DH is on the case!! I think that's the route we will end up going. We have access to the attic, but there is very little head room in that area. I think the fan brace will be easiest.

nosoccermom- NO KIDDING!! The 3 different fixtures we had looked like they were all installed by different electricians of varied ability. The materials and workmanship for the sink fixture are FAR superior to the other two in the room. Weird for a fairly new house (2007). This is the fan we are looking at.... can be used with or without the light kit:

Any other suggestions for fan style (on a budget)?

Tib- I always feel weird calling it a "boob" light... but that seems to be the name for it?! And DANG IT... I am chronically hanging things too high!! I think it's because I'm only 5ft tall. Guess I'm overcompensating :)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

We have booby lights in the laundry room. My other half always laughs when I call them that.

Those ceiling fan braces are very easy to do, even if you do it from the kitchen rather than the attic. We used one for a very heavy fan in my weight room. When I'm laying there on the bench between sets and staring at it, I don't see the teensiest bit of wobble.

• teacats
    9 years ago

How about this one? It does come with a remote! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus -- fan on sale -- has remote too!

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I am dying over boob light! lol I've never heard that.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

This fan is pretty cool but 340.00

Have you looked at www.lightingdirect.com

[Contemporary Ceiling Fans[(https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-ceiling-fans-prbr1-br~t_614~s_2103) by Chatsworth Lighting Lamps Plus

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Before we start picking fans based on the sink light, can I say that I am not liking the sink light? It doesn't seem to fit that space or with your inspiration piece.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I had the same gut reaction as Errant. I also like the simpler style fan. Simple all around seems to fit your kitchen.

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant- why don't you think it works? I really like how it looks, but maybe it doesn't mix with what I already have going on? What kind of light would you do there instead?

nosoccermom- those are pretty cool, but a bit above my budget. I also thought the consensus was to stick with a white fan to blend in better with the ceiling and to avoid making it a focal point.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

You are going to have too much protruding from the ceiling in such a small space if you are going to add a ceiling fan and a hanging fixture over the dining table. Also, that fixture just doesn't look right. It looks as though it should be wall mounted over a small vanity or something.

A simple can light over the sink would look better, and you can easily do that yourselves for about $20. If you wired that light, you can wire an LED remodel can like this:

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will look into that, thanks. There won't be a hanging light above the table... we just removed one. There will probably be a can light over the table. I really wanted the light below over the sink, but was advised against it here. I thought the smaller fixture was a nice compromise. I'm desperate for some shiny nickel in this kitchen and I'm not sure why!!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I've always liked this fan from Minka Aire. And, if you put a round, brown sticker in the middle of the light, you can still have a boob light in your kitchen!

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hahahaha! Giving fans boob jobs..... oh my. Not sure I have a desire to incorporate the boob light into my permanent design plan :)

So.... if the light above the sink is a no-go then I have to find somewhere else in the house for it so DH doesn't go berserk. Is my laundry room a candidate? It has a plain round light in there right now.

And a follow-up question: how on earth can I incorporate some nickel into my kitchen if not in the way of light fixtures? We will be needing a dishwasher at some point and I'm trying to convince DH that SS will look good. It's a hard sell, though because I have been anti-SS for a while now.... but what other options are there aside from black and white?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

SS is a pain in the butt. It's much more expensive,a nd it requires more care, shows every bit to sweat, finger print, everything.

It looks goodâ¦WHEN it looks good, but that's about its ONLY asset. I bought a ss fridge only because I rent my house and the range is black and stainless and the dishwasher is black and the sink is stainless (I DO love SS sinks the most), but I can't STAND the thing, paid $1K more for itâ¦Ugh. White would have been my choice if I didn't rent my house out.

I also don't particularly care for the light over your sink, but YOU say you love it, and that is what matters. If you love it there, then keep it there.

Lol @ "boob jobs for fans".

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Another boobie fan, in nickel :)

That one is from Fanimation, runs about $250, and comes with two sizes of blades (handy if you aren't sure what length will work best in your space, or if you decide to move it elsewhere). Also includes a cover in case you want to go boobless ;)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Is the light in the laundry room ceiling- or wall-mount? That fixture really looks like it should be a wall-mount to me.

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ceiling mount. So strange. I found that fixture in the track lighting area. I think they're both supposed to point down, but I need the light in center of the room for now. I like that fan, errant.... Need to save our pennies.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Perhaps then they are both pointed down it would look better :)

That fan is also available in white, as others had suggested in your other thread, but then you wouldn't be getting you nickel fix. I think it would look nice over your table, with can lights for the rest of the kitchen.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I'm also not a fan of the light above the sink. It almost looks like a temporary fix. I'm not even sure that fixture was meant to be a ceiling light. In the meantime, why don't you change the pulls on your cabinets to nickel as a start to add nickel to the room.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I like your new light over the sink. If you end up with a fabric window treatment similar to the pretty fabric over your sliding doors, the new light won't intrude on the color & pattern. It looks like it gives good light too. The white metal looks great with aqua blues and your golden oak cabs. Are you painting the walls blue too?

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh nooo! Got home from dinner and raced to the recycling bin to retrieve the box for the fixture since it gets picked up tomorrow. No box! DH put it in the trash that went out yesterday :( So I have to find a place for the fixture. It was super cheap, but still... I hate wasting. I will leave it where it is for now since it gives off really good light. I promise it IS supposed to go on the ceiling. You can see it herehref> on the Lowe's website.

Maybe I will go ahead and get some new hardware. I was thinking pulls on doors and knobs on drawers??

Errant- I was planning for the fan to go where that medusa of wires currently is. Then a can where the boob light currently is, one directly across from it near the stove, and then one or two in the "traffic" portion of the kitchen (area from hall to back door). I could put it over the table, but then how would you arrange the can lights?

Tib- I know.... these are all the reasons I hate SS. I've seen what children and pets do to them!! But I don't like my "Halloween" look I have with the black appliances and I don't care for white with the golden oak. Ugh.

awm03- I'm going to try my hand at making some curtains because I can't find what I want. Should be interesting!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Is there some reason you want a light over the sink and a can over the dining area rather than the other way around? Why not have a can over the sink and a nickel pendant or chandy over the dining table?

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In our original set-up, we had the table butted up to the island and the old light hung in the right place. Since then, we moved the table to the window, which we like much better..... buuuut it left that fixture hanging in prime head-knocking space. Also, I was thinking that if I really wanted another light protruding from the ceiling in addition to future fan, it would be better to have it over the sink instead of two hanging things in the center of the room.

At this point, I'm thinking I will use that light for now and relegate it to the laundry when I can.

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry to revive this thread. I grabbed some satin nickel hardware while at Lowe's today and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm not sure if it's just because it's different or if it doesn't look good. I'm wondering if nickel isn't the way to go? I have a feeling ORB ties in to my appliances better, but I was trying to get away from dark pulls and I like my nickel curtain rod. If the nickel looks ok, I was wondering if cup pulls on drawers and knobs on doors would look ok? I know the cabinets are warm and nickel is "cool"... so is this a no-go?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think the nickel is fine, even gives your kitchen a bit of an updated look, but I like the pull better than the knob. Cup pulls, IMO, are overdone.

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Tib. I think it just takes some getting used to. I know cup pulls are popular in a bad way :( So you would leave knobs on drawers and pulls on doors? How do you feel about the style of each? I tried to stick with simple.

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

New stainless steel appliances come with fingerprint-proof coatings, we barely have to wipe the handles of our fridge and stove once in a while - no other cleaning has been needed in 2 years. They don't get fingerprints or other gunk at all, and a quick wipe with a cloth leaves them looking brand new. Maybe old ones were a problem but new ones with a good finish are very low maintenance.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd put the same on all of them, the narrow pull you have on that one cabinet door.

• sundance510
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought about putting the pulls on the drawers too. How do I patch the hole from the knob? That's why I was contemplating the cup pulls... to hide the hole. If they were painted cabs, this would be an easy patch. But I feel like I won't be able to find just the right shade of "orange" stain and it will look terrible. Thanks for all your help Tibbrix!

tinan- what brand of appliances do you have?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Just get a dowel the size of the hole, cut it, and hammer it in there, and you can stain the very end of it golden oak to make it blend in. The handle will also hide it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I like the simple pulls, and think they would work on both cabinets and drawers. I do think ORB would look better with your oak, counters, and appliances, though. Your nickel rod and any nickel lighting you add will still be fine if you go with ORB, IMO.

• oaktonmom
    9 years ago

I like the satin nickel. It updates your kitchen and brings it to life. You can always add other nickel elements in the room to tie in with it. The dark pulls make the cabinets look outdated and dull.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!