Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Is this acceptable?

joyce_6333
9 years ago

Bought a new sofa, had to wait 3 months to get it. It was delivered last week, and I think one of the back cushions looks weird. It seems a bit higher that the other two. The technician was here this morning and adjusted it the best he could, and told me he wasn't sure the company would view this as a "replaceable" defect .

I think they should replace the sofa, but I would like to get someone else's opinion. Do you think I'm being too picky, or is this acceptable? Thanks for your opinion.

Comments (25)

• clt3
    9 years ago

No, I don't think you're being too picky. I think they could just replace that one cushion. An expert upholsterer could fix it. The top edge is definitely not cut straight, you can see it in the grainline of the fabric.

• roarah
    9 years ago

I would most certainly have it replaced and when something similar happened to me I insisted that I would keep the imperfect sofa until the new one was ready. Good luck!

• roarah
    9 years ago

Oops double post, sorry.

This post was edited by roarah on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 10:34

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

That's definitely worth fighting for a replacement. Show the technician how the fabric isn't cut or sewn correctly.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

No need to replace the whole sofa, but just the cushion.

But good luck with that. I've yet to see a furniture retailer (indeed, most retailers now) take any responsibility. Once they have your money, you're dirt to them.

Do I sound cynical?

I am.

• User
    9 years ago

That is a serious defect and the cushion should be replaced.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

That is not acceptable at all. Was this a custom sofa or a custom fabric? I would think they could just replace or repair the cushion, but if they do that make sure they can match the fabric perfectly. It looks like a pretty sofa - good luck!

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone ... you've verified what I was thinking. I called the company, and their customer care department is supposed to call me tomorrow. So we'll see.....

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

It would drive me crazy for the life of the sofa, I would raise heck till it was fixed or replaced. It should never have left their warehouse as a sofa that passed quality control, it could have been sent to a seconds store and sold under that label.
    If they tell you to keep it as it is I would demand a monetary compensation for getting a seconds sofa.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

It always amazes me how a company can send something out with a defect and think that the customer will either not notice it or will not care. If I ran my business like that I would be ashamed.

If I have an item in my shop that has spent a bit of time on a shelf I check to make sure it is in good working condition and offer it for sale at a greatly discounted price. The customer knows exactly what they are getting and they know that they will always be treated fairly. IMO, if a business can't be run honestly with customer service as a top priority they don't deserve to be in business!

Businesses spend thousands of dollars on marketing and can lose a lot of goodwill by not being responsive to their customers. Over the years I have found that my outstanding customer service is worth more than any advertising.

Sorry for the rant!

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Not acceptable. Ask them to build you a new cushion. Do not allow them to take the sofa or the cushion until the new one arrives and you approve it.

If they sent a "technician", that person should be able to take measurements and photos accurate enough to get a new cushion for you.

Keep after them. Write lots of letters (paper letters, not emails) and make lots of pestering phone calls.

Go get 'em.

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Yes, it is obviously a defect. My only qualm about just having the cushion replaced is that the fabric might come from a different color run.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Marti beat me to it. The problem with only replacing the cushion is that the same fabric could be different (slightly or to a marked degree) in color. If they do offer that, I would be sure to get a guarantee that the color will match perfectly or else you will need the whole couch replaced or reupholstered.

If they balk, just return it!

• peegee
    9 years ago

Well, I'm confused. The tops of ALL the cushions don't seem straight to me but appear wonky. Are they supposed to look like that???? I would return the couch. If they would send out a product with such an obvious defect how sloppy is their quality control for all the areas that are not visible?

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

They could easily just tailor that same cushion to fix it. You can actually see where the fabric was cut unevenly. Just some sloppy sewing there!

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

Love the couch; however quality control was on break when that went through. I would not be happy. I would want an entirely different couch.

• nanny2a
    9 years ago

If it were me, and I didn't already know how to fix this, I would insist that they correct the cushion cover you already have. That way you could be sure that the fabric is from the same dye lot.

It appears to me, by what I can see in the photo, to be just a simple correction of the piped seam on that portion of the cushion cover. It would take an experienced seamstress a very short time to fix this - I could do it in minutes!

Good luck - I hope they cooperate with this one for you.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

It definitely looks to be higher, unless it is the angle of the picture. They all appear to be wavy on top. Are they supposed to be that way?

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'm a seamstress and I'd be ashamed to let that out of my sight before I made it perfect. All the cushions look a bit off to me.

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

I agree that all the cushions look a little wavy on top - the one in question is just a little bit worse. This needs to be addressed to your satisfaction whether it is a repair or replacement. Three months is a long time to wait and then to be delivered a disappointing product is a shame. Keep us posted & good luck!

• ttodd
    9 years ago

Not acceptable.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The store called this morning, and they are ordering us a new sofa. We can use this one until the new one arrives. So that's good news. So far, they have been very pleasant to work with, and there was never any suggestion by them to do repairs to this sofa, or provide any cost adjustments. So keeping my fingers crossed that the new one looks a lot better.

Happy, safe July 4th to everyone. Thanks again for your opinions and encouragement.

Joyce

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

That's awesome news Joyce!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Now, that is a company that knows how to operate! You should share the company name-good PR!

Glad they were so responsive!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yes! That is a good company indeed. When you get the replacement don't forget to tell family and friends how well you were treated, spread the word as much as possible.