Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Latest project - bay window sill

2ajsmama
14 years ago

Here it is, I posted on Woodworking b/c I don't know if I should try to adjust the color to match jambs better or let it change gradually with the sun. Just blocked in place with scraps of trim. Needs poly - just stained.

Old (drove me crazy, center sill all the way to corners and others close but not meeting, and lower!)

New

{{!gwi}}

What do you think - continuous apron (piece that hides the gap underneath) under the continuous sill/stool, or 3 separate pieces? I hope to get this poly'd this w/e (though it will retard the sunlight effect) and installed with romans up Monday. The trim for the center window is finished (has been for months - propped against my BR wall), the others have to be cut and finished, might not get those in for a couple of weeks due to house guests coming Tuesday (just my sis and her DD - not a big deal) for a week, then tile work after they leave.

Comments (31)

• ctlane
    14 years ago

Can you take a pic of it from farther away also like the first pic?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I could, but the loveseat's in the way now!

• User
    14 years ago

three separate aprons

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, standing on a chair under the ceiling fan, sorry it's blurry.

{{!gwi}}

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

If you were asking about the first picture I would say separate pieces, but you have added a window sill that joins them and makes it technically all one window.

The apron has to be all one piece that hides the gap underneath.

Let me ask you this--you must have seen flat picture windows that have a dividing strip and smaller windows on each side. Would you put apron under each window or all the way across? Of course you'd go right across. Just because yours are bowed out doesn't change things.

If the sill goes right across the trim must too, with miters at the corners.

It looks like you used 2 different woods. The window looks like oak and the sill like pine. Both take stain in different ways and you just may never get them to match exactly. I'd say leave them alone. They look pretty good the way they are, but I would go with the same material as the sills for the remaining trim.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I just went back and looked. Your baseboards are oak too, so all trim should be oak.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Baseboards and casings are radiata pine stained with Minwax Honey Maple gel. Windows are pine (Andersen), the sashes have not been finished yet. The jambs and sill (stool) are white pine stained Honey Maple.

Here's a pic of slider (Andersen -white?- pine with just clear coat), white pine jambs with clear coat, and radiata pine casing with Honey Maple

{{!gwi}}

I was thinking the same thing about if it were one bay window with 3 sections (and probably a deeper sill, but we put the Xmas tree here so I didn't want to lose the floor space), it would have a continuous apron.

We're going to put returns on all all the aprons in the house, the builder just cut both ends on an angle and left the end grain exposed. Wish they'd returned the ends of the sills/stools too, but they didn't so cousin just made this one the same. Last house didn't have stools at all (so no place to set candles at Xmas), we added them and returned them, looked really nice.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

Put my vote in the three separate aprons column, but it seems like you might be leaning toward treating them as one. If you do go with one apron, are you planning to treat the windows as one with your window treatments? If so, you'll want to check out this bay window rod.

Here is a link that might be useful: bay window rod

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I bought custom inside-mount Romans last year (like are on the slider and the other window in the room). Can't wait til we can put them up. I ordered all Romans b/c I figured I wouldn't be able to put a rod in bay, the trim on the center window comes practically to the corners.

Id I did find a rod to fit, what kind of WT would you put over these striped Romans? I'm thinking of a scarf (have matching one) or a shelf over the slider, since it is lower than the windows and it needs something over it to pull your eye up. I'll post more pics after we get the trim up on the double window near the table so you can see the difference in height.

• HomeMaker
    14 years ago

Sorry, but I have to say that I preferred them the way they originally were. They are three distinctly separate windows.

That said, I vote for three separate pieces.

• User
    14 years ago

Here's a couple mock ups for you. Hope they help you decide.
    Separate aprons...
    {{!gwi}}
    Full apron.
    {{!gwi}}
    Full apron with added trim.
    {{!gwi}}

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks justgotta - I was thinking of adding wood b/t the windows (like in the double window), but don't really like the PS pic. I do think with full sill we need full apron.

I wish the builder had just made the windows the same size, or at least placed the side windows the same distance from corners as the center window. It's the extra wall b/t the side windows and the corner that's throwing me.

I also checked JCP.com and they don't have the ready-made panels/scarf to match my shades any more. I have *one* ?wide x believe 18 ft (216") long striped scarf I was going to use over the slider. Should I use the fabric (if I have enough width) to just make a valance for each window in the room (app. 6 ft slider, 6.5ft window, plus 10-12ft bay)? I think I need something to tie the tops of these 3 bay windows together now that the bottom is linked, and then maybe the wall in b/t won't look strange? Maybe paint those 2 strips of wall (or the whole bay) a different color than the rest of the room to it becomes a focal point?

I really wanted o wait til the trim was up on all the windows to start asking about top treatments, but I will post a pic of the back wall showing the double window and slider on Monday as soon as we get the trim up around the double. Maybe I can also get it up on the center bay since it's finished - just have to wait for side bays since they aren't cut yet (well, one is, but isn't joined and finished, the other had a warped piece and top was too short so needed to be replaced).

What about running crown molding just on those 5 walls at the bay end of the room?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, just looking at mockups again, I don't like the fill in b/t with wood. But could you try adding some sort of thin wood shelf just over all 3 windows in the 2nd mockup, touching the tops of the casings? So we'd trim out each window separately, still have the paint in b/t, but have a 3/4" edge continuously above them just like the sill below them (cousin is going to *love* making another one of these LOL)? Thanks

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Ajsmama, I feel like I've missed some info somewhere over the course of your posts, but I keep wondering this so I apologize if this is redundant, but why are you finishing all the trim in your house? Did you fire your builder or did you strike a deal to finish it yourself?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

caroleoh - We bought a modular with all stain grade trim and doors, the modular company doesn't do finish work (they did put a coat of flat white paint on all the walls) so it was either hire someone to do it or do it myself. Of course, they paid no attention to whether the baseboards were scarfed over studs on the long walls or not, and some pieces were cut too short, some were split or chipped, and others checked or warped over the past 2 years that I've been trying to get them finished, so I've had to swap some around and buy some replacements. At least HD has the exact same base (though I don't use it for scarfing, only for walls shorter than 16ft). Casings at HD are slightly wider so I bought some of that for doorways in kitchen that were framed slightly lower than the basement door (and builder told me it was my imagination and the angle I was looking at it b/c I'm short). I also bought *much* wider trim for the front door/sidelights b/c it just looked too skimpy - worse than the sliding glass door - with the same size trim as the windows (2.25").

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

I know that I already voted, but I think I understand the dilemma a bit better after the PS pictures. When I voted for three aprons, I understood that to mean that you would include three separate window sills as well. The way I see this, there are two choices -- either three separate/distinct windowsills and aprons or one complete/continuous sill and apron. I don't think each piece can be treated independently. Whatever you choose for the sill, you need to choose for the apron.

You say you wish that the builder had used the same size window, but I don't really see that as a problem because many bay windows incorporate a larger window in the center. I hope this helps.

• User
    14 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Ok, I figured there was a reason you had to finish all this trim work on your own!

Well, my vote would be for the apron to be continuous because you did the sill as one continuous. I don't like the crown across the top. I think when you get your window seat in there - eventually! :-) it will all go together nicely with the one sill and apron.

As far as a window treatment, I think you need a little something more than roman shades - I picture a swag valance across the three windows with a center swag and then two scarf swags on the outside windows with the swag having a long end hitting the window sills of the side windows.

These might be a bit fancy or obviously not in these fabrics, but they're the general idea I was picturing.
    {{!gwi}}

• les917
    14 years ago

The apron needs to be continuous to match the sill. I would not add a piece above the windows, however, as it boxes the windows in too much.

I like the idea of one valance across the space, but it needs to start just below the ceiling, imo, to give the windows more visual height that will balance the width.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought the last PS justgota did was OK, but valance would work too - love the medallion things! Thanks justgotabeme.

OK, I have *one* 216" long matching scarf - mounting the medallions to each side of the center window might be tough given the minuscule wall space on the center wall - think I can mount them to sides of the side windows? Use the matching scarf or actually *sew* (gasp, I can barely sew a straight hem!) valances - maybe I can manage a "my3dogs" type? I don't know if the scarf is long enough to do the bay and hang down that far on the sides - we're talking 10ft straight wall space plus slack to hang in folds over 3 windows, that's maybe 6-8 more feet? and the scarf is only 18ft long.

Or a coordinating fabric? I'm definitely using the Romans, I have them and they're custom and I do need to block some of the southern sun. But I can put a valance over them if you all can help me find a fabric that looks good with the shades. I need to do something to "raise" the slider to the same height as the windows too - and would it look strange to have valances in bay and not the double window (and slider)? I'm thinking we'll have to find a coordinating fabric b/c I might have to do all the "windows" (counting slider) in the room the same.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

Yes! ;0) The pictures posted by caroleoh are exactly what I meant when I said that the windows should be treated as one with the curtains -- great visuals, caroleoh! I don't see any reason why you couldn't still use the roman shades in conjunction with a valance. It will give a nice layered look. I agree that this would also be a great look to work with as you plan the future window seat.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would love to do a swag, but please help me pick some fabric. What can I do with these striped shades? Color, pattern suggestions?

I measured, to come to edges (horns) of the sill on the sides I need 124", plus enough to swag, plus something to hang down the sides (I don't know about going all the way to sill, I kind of like the middle pic caroleoh posted, those come down about halfway? My windows are 4.5' tall, so 2.5' on each side might look nice). So already I'm up to 184" plus swags. How do you measure the fabric you need in addition to the straight measurement across the window when you're doing a swag? Or does that not really add to the length, you just need to get the right width?

I'm wondering if the 216" scarf would do it? But then what do I do with the slider and the other window, since it looks like JCP doesn't have any more of these scarves?

• User
    14 years ago

You're welcome ajsmama. I did one with just a crown across the top too, but it wasn't much different than the shelf. Which doesn't look the best. The perspecitive was throwing me off.
    I too like the idea of one continuous topper or three panels if you wanted to go that way.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again

I found them (low stock) by searching for the item number off the old order form. JCP's "window Designer" is saying for window over 100" need two 216" long scarves, shows them overlapping over center window so tails hang down in between? Think I should order the same striped fabric and do scarves (I need to find/make medallions!) over all three "windows" in the room (bay, double window and slider), with the slider one hung at the same height as the others?

Since this is FR (casual) should I look for old doorknobs (love that look), so should I just try to find plain medallions in satin nickel to match light fixture and my "cheap cleats" (drawer knob on a hanger bolt)? See the pic of the slider for finish on the knob.

I also have 6 birdcage holdbacks that are kind of "U" shaped that I don't think I'll use in LR - so I can do the bay and the window with those, and slider with a matching (extra) rod if you think that will work. It would mean 1 big swag over the double window though - these have been discontinued too (at least I couldn't find them in the store again, and I never saw them online). Does anybody kno how you hang a swag from a "U" shaped holdback without the screws showing?

Here is a link that might be useful: U shaped holdback

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ARGH! I got all the way to checkout, there are none available - even in scroll or coordinating color stripe! So I'm back to square one, if anybody has any ideas for coordinating fabrics.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

Since this is the family room and it looks like it adjoins the kitchen, this might be a good opportunity to bring in a nice plaid or overall patterned topper that you could use throughout the space -- pillows, table runner, etc. There are some nice toppers out there that might fit the bill for you. Have you checked out Casual Curtain? They don't have online ordering, but there are quite a few locations in CT. A plaid doesn't always mean "simply country". They have some options in a chintz-type fabric. Maybe you could visit them for some added inspiration. I have always found the staff to be quite helpful.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Country Curtains? Calico Corner? Never heard of Casual Curtain.

Would a plaid look OK with the stripe? I have the 80's Hunter Green buffalo check valances from old house. Can't quite see those with these shades.

Got the sill in today and the center casing, but the casings for the side windows had to be cut of of new stock and joined up - will stain tomorrow and poly Wed (if possible - sister and niece coming tomorrow night). Been busy putting up casings today and measuring/finding studs to put up railing (finally!), just finished staining railing an hour ago, will have to finish it (Fast-drying poly?) tomorrow and put it up Wed, or just put it up with no finish and just finish it in a couple of weeks when I get/finish the newels I'm ordering tomorrow.

• User
    14 years ago

ajamama, have you thought about a wooden cornice? I think that would look great and solve your scarf/fabric matching problem. I almost mentioned that earlier, but knew you wanted to match the fabric of your roman shades.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wouldn't a wooden cornice be something like the "shelf" you last PS'd for me? I hate to suggest it to my cousin - he struggled so much with the angles and joining the stool (and installing it - had to score drywall, cut corner bead in the center window b/c the casing wasn't lying flat and it was so close to corner). The jambs aren't flush with the drywall in this house, we've have to cut a lot of drywall and *recess* the casings in some places.

Anyway, I've only seen cornices on windows with formal WTs - too fancy for this FR and the "contemporary" Romans? If you have an pics, I'd love to see ideas. It would help with my lower (about 6" lower than windows/interior doors) slider too.

• goldengirl327
    14 years ago

Here's the link to Casual Curtain. It lists their locations, but it looks like they now have online ordering, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casual Curtain

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was thinking of doing a wooden or a fabric-covered cornice in the formal DR, but what about these for the FR over the Linen Stripe romans?

WHat do you think - linen (or not good if not exact match)? Chestnut? Gold? Or just go with Sage b/c of all the green in the rest of the house (and accent color in my FR area rug/ottoman)?

These hang on "conventional rod" - are those the little skinny ones that project out about an inch from the wall, have those metal brackets you hook the rod over (little holes on the ends of rods)? I *might* barely have room for one on each side of the center window - I'd have to measure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Satin Cornice