Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

quick question about bathroom tile

nosoccermom
9 years ago

Ignore the mess, please. This is my time warp 90s bath.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Not feeling the diamond tile border, but would you try to rip out the "offending" tiles, try to paint over them, live with them? It's primarily the large black tiles, the border I'm fine with.

In fact, I still LOVE black and white bathrooms. Inspiration pics below. maybe with light blue or aqua or just plants

{{!gwi}}

So, I was actually thinking about adding a black thin tile border, or is that the proverbial pig with lipstick?

This is an update with new pictures. I swear that the wall paint is not yellow... And what looks like another house outside is actually some kind of reflection.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 15:43

Comments (30)

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I think I would try they easy route first...painting over them...and see how they hold up. Or you could just keep the shower curtain closed at all times...then you only see then when you shower.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I would live with them. Though I can understand a preference for not having the accent tiles, what you have is pretty innocuous.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I like the diamond pattern.

You have great subway tile around the tub, why not select items to coordinate with what you already have?

This post was edited by beverly27 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 17:25

• Bunny
    9 years ago

They're not that bad. I would live with them for a while. I don't care for closed shower curtains, esp. in a small bathroom, and that just acknowledges that there's something inside you don't want to see. I have never seen painted tile. You'd have to get the color spot-on, right? I don't know about the two pencil lines. Can you get more of the field tile? What about the spacing if you just removed the black?

I think replacing all the black with the same shapes but in the same color as the field tile might look okay.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

The high contrast isn't my fav, but unless I knew we could take them out without having to deal with additional issues I would probably just try to live with them. I don't think I would try to paint them, in our house I think that would require too much special tile maintenance because we have hard water.

When I first read the post and looked at the picture, I was looking for some OTHER big black tiles, not the diamonds in the border LOL ;-)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

They don't bother me that much, but they would look more purposeful if you would add other black accents. A black frame on the mirror or using a mix of black and white towels should help. Your current towels, while lovely with the wall color, emphasize the disconnect between the wall color and the high contrast colors of the shower.

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

I would change out the mirror for something more classic. The mirror doesn't seem to go with the rest of the bathroom. It is too country/ shabby chic. Everything else looks fine.

This post was edited by LucyStar1 on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 13:03

• Bunny
    9 years ago

While I agree that adding something black would make the black tiles seem more purposeful, I don't like the idea of making other design choice changes to compensate for and/or accommodate something you really don't like in the first place. If that's the only black in the bathroom and you don't like it, why add more?

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

If I could find an accent tile more to preference of the same size as the diamond tiles (or the same field tile) I'd replace them. Check the shower head arm and be sure it doesn't go through a tile or you may have to do some nifty cutting of one of them (can't tell from the pic distance if it's the pipe or just the cover over it on the diamond tile). I agree with others that the mirror doesn't go with the rest of the room.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I guess, Linelle, I was responding as if there were budget constraints. Certainly, if Nosoccermom can afford to rip out the black tiles that she hates, she should do so, but I guess I thought the purpose of the forum was to offer alternatives.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 13:38

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, confession. This isn't my bathroom, so ignore the right side of the bathroom. Will post pictures of the actual bath when home.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Think long and hard about trying to paint over the black diamonds. You will never get a good match to the existing white tiles.

Even if you just to tear out the black section, you probably won't be able to match the existing tiles or grout. (unless you have a box of the existing subway somewhere).

I would live with them, maybe changing the mirror to one with black in the frame...or a MacKenzie Childs check border.

ML

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

If they hate black, don't live with it. But if they don't, add black accents and I think the border will live more comfortably in the room.

Doesn't have to be overwhelming...

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, here's my attempt ay photoshopping, i.e. add a black border and paint aqua

{{!gwi}}

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I like the borders and aqua paint that you've added via PS -- helps a viewer not to focus so much on the black diamonds.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Love the bathroom. Even better in your photoshop.
    I like the way the border diamonds relate to the diamonds in the floor.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I'd try painting the wall aqua first before I would go to the trouble of anything else. You might very well find that is enough.
    You have an awesome bath room.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I was ahead of my times 24 years ago :)

I could afford ripping everything out, but I most likely would end up with something quite similar.

The black border should probably be a bit wider. Of course, I don't know if you can add another border above the existing rounded edge tiles.

So maybe just try some new wall paint and upgrade the faucets and towel bar etc. They are cheapo builder grade.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hm, I think it needs the black border tile, even a little bit wider than my jittery hands can photoshop.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• rgps
    9 years ago

With the walls painted aqua I like the black diamonds a lot. And yeah it needs the black border

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Agree that the black border will make a big difference in the room. It is unusual to not have a border at the top of the traditional 4x4 tiles. I'd add the border, go with the aqua paint, change out your accessories to coordinate and call it a day!

We have a bath from the same era (80's), which we added to our DD's room. She has flown the coop and this bath rarely gets used, but I still like the black and white tile. It's a classic and will stand the test of time. Here's ours:

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bonnie, I like your bathroom a lot.

I'll check out some black bullnose tiles.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

If you can't tile, what about just painting a black border with glossy paint?

I LOVE your bathroom. My first house, in 1973, had a similar look. I painted the walls the most beautiful (to me) emerald green. I'm certain the next owners cursed me forever because it would have been horrible to paint over.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Either way, it needs some black!

I was thinking navy paint.....

In fact, the original plan was navy instead of black, but then the floor square tiles didn't match the navy wall tiles.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

My first glance didn't see the border as "too much", until it was focused on. Then it did seem a bit large. I would live with this for a while and add details as others mentioned.

You could play with the tile using contact paper to change tile size, add black trim ect. But even the inspiration pics, there are things I would change.

Final thoughts are the pattern is is a bit large and yes to wider black trim. A half round black on top of the upper tiles would work as a detail and easy to install. Not sure painting tiles is the answer.

Love the BW ticking shower curtain shown.

I just finished my kitchen with BW tile and bead board to bring back the feeling of my little 50s house. It is great to know others are around that have some comfort with this style.

• natebear zone 10B
    9 years ago

Something about the height of the tile seems off to me, however, it may look differently in person. It seems it either needs another row of the white tile topped with a black bullnose or one row of the white tile to be removed then topped with a substantial looking black bullnose as in your aqua painted inspiration picture.

I think bonnie has a great thing going on with the black and white sketched fabric in her bathroom. Maybe you could find something similar that incorporates your aqua color in place of the cranberry color bonnie has.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

natebear,
    yes, I see what you mean, maybe even removing two rows. However, I think it's more proportional in real life because the ceiling is quite high (skylight), i.e. 1/3 tile and 2/3 wall. Ripping tiles out may be more of a problem than adding an additional row.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

I think the black bullnose or pencil tile at the top of the white tiles will complete the look. I do otherwise like your bath.

We have the "pinwheel" floor tile in a lot of the inspiration photos. Can you change out the floor? The tiles are really inexpensive at the big box stores. I think we paid $3-4 per square foot. Would love to add more B&W to the walls and turquoise. I also like yellow and black. We will need to redo our wall tile in the near future.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I would take your bath over what we just gutted. Not much you can do with red and green Saltillo tile all over the room. So many colors can be paired with the black and white tiles.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What about adding painted wainscott over the top of the white tile? It could be painted in a gloss black (I'd advise using a spray to avoid brush strokes) to mimic the gloss on the tiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: