Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livvyandbella

window boxes on home..

livvyandbella
14 years ago

I don't have a digital camera, just regular camera, so I can't post a picture. I have a ranch/cape house. We have just had it painted, and I would love to put a window box under the picture window. I love the window box that are copper lined. Now would that look odd, would I need to put them on the other two windows on the front of the house, or could I just do under the picture window. They seem expensive the ones I have found on line. If any of you have them on your house could you please post a picture.

thanks,

Barb

Comments (15)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

It's hard to say without a photograph of what the house looks like. If this is on a picture window, my suggestion would be to not go too small. Maybe you can find a picture similar to your house online and post that? What is the size of the window and the size of the box?

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Rule of thumb for window boxes is they should extend 3" from the trim on either side for a full finished look. If the window is too large than maybe you could get away with installing two butted up to each other for a nice look. Once the flowers are planted, no one would see it anyway. This is mine from last fall. (still haven't taken one of this summer's flower's!)

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Can you tell us how the windows line up? If the two smaller windows flank the picture window, then you could just do the picture window. If the two windows are off to one side, then a WB just at the picture window would look probably unbalanced.

C'mon kmcg...get yourself out there and take a pic!!! If it's anything like the Fall version, I neeed to see it. :-D

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

Kmcg85, if you lived anywhere near me, I think I might have to mug you for that window bcx. WOW! Please post a pic of the summer version. Wow, I say!

pup

• cindyb_va
    14 years ago

PUPWHIPPED, I will be the one in the black ski mask right behind you ready to nick that window box. KMCG85, that is the most beautiful fall themed window box I have ever seen.

LIVVYANDBELLA, one thing to consider about those copper window boxes is that copper and sunlight will produce a lot of heat for your plants in the planter box. If your window is in a very sunny spot, this is something you might think about. For this reason, I have window boxes under my three sun all day front windows that are the "hayrack" variety, lined with coconut husk mats.

As for balance, why not just put a window box under the picture window for now. You can always add boxes under the other windows if it looks odd without them.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

My parents had a big picture window flanked by two double hung windows and they put one large window box under the picture window and then two smaller ones under each double hung window (with only a 2 or 3 inch gap between boxes). Like people have said above, when they were filled with flowers or holiday decorations like Christmas greens or fall gourds and mums, you couldn't tell that they were 3 separate window boxes. Especially if you are any distance from the street. Theirs was right near their front door and it never looked odd to have the 3 separate boxes. I think it may have looked more strange to have just one box under their picture window only because of the look from the street, it would have appeared that the box was undersized for the expanse of windows. Are your windows all grouped together though?

Kat :)

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

If you insist, lol!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Kmcg85 I love your window box, no matter what time of year! Would you mind posting a picture of the exterior of your house so I can see your shutters better please?

Thank you!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Thankyou lesmis! (blushing) Oh boy, here I go again. Wrong season! Sorry!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Beauteous Petunious!

I am sweaty and dirty and have half of my garden soil under my nails, it feels like. Those winter pics are a breath of fresh air!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

"Beauteous Petunious!" LOL Amy!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Very beautiful, kmcg. And I love the swags across the railings.

Do we know your paint color??? I forget.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Kmcg85 thanks so much for the larger view of your house. I love those shutters and your house is beautiful. Is your big wreath decorated with fruit? I have Williamsburg style wreaths each year on my house with fruit. I used to use fresh fruit until one year it was so warm that it all rotted and fell off so that each day I would come home to find missing fruit! The squirrels loved it though, they are quite fond of ladysmith apples lol!

Now I'm off to look for board and batten shutters! Thanks so much!

• livvyandbella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW Kmcg85, I got so busy looking at your lovely window boxes and home, I forgot what I had asked.

The picture window is flanked by two smaller windows. The picture window measures 60inches, two samller are 22inches. Also it gets mostly shade.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

The house color is BM Edgecombe Gray,squirrel. Thanks. Now, back to livvyandbella's question/request! How much space between the windows? I wouldn't worry about shade or not. You can plant whatever suits the location. Lots of lovely shade plants! I did a google search and came up with oodles of great pics. Notice some of them span two windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: windowboxes