Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Non-matching beds - need inspiration

DLM2000-GW
9 years ago

When my boys were little I bought 2 different vintage twin size head board/footboard beds for each of them, stripped and refinished. They are both wood tone, not painted. They are not the same stain, one is natural butternut wood, the other is stained walnut if I remember correctly - I'll have to double check that.

I'd like to use them in the same room someday, guest room for visiting nieces/nephews and grandkids...... someday :-) so am planning/daydreaming how to use them together. Since the beds don't match I'm thinking the bedding should and nightstands/lamps if I use 2 each, instead of one in the middle. Yes? No? Would it be more charming to have it all mixed? I love that loose look in other homes but my go-to comfort zone decorating style is somewhat balanced, crisp, no frou but soft edges. Clear as mud?

I'm looking for inspiration pictures and not coming up with much (maybe because it's a lousy idea!) and wonder if anyone here has done that or can help me find some to use as a jumping off point.

This is all being prompted because it appears we have a buyer for our house that we haven't even put on the market yet! I wanted something to push me off the move/don't move ledge - be careful what you wish for!

Comments (13)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think I'd go totally eclectic and design each bed to reflect something - i.e.: one dressed for boys, one for girls; different culturally, i.e.: one Moroccan, one beachyâ¦that sort of thing. It makes it fun for kids to say, I want THAT bed!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix I don't think I'd be able to go THAT eclectic! Cute idea but out of my comfort zone!

nsm layout is uncertain because we have to move first and I don't know what the room will be. But in my head I'm picturing the beds as in your pictures, headboards on the same wall and either one larger table/nightstand between them or possibly 2 matching ones either between or on outsides of beds.

• krelavie
    9 years ago

Not sure on the size of your room, but I like the idea of a nightstand/dresser between them. I think if they had the same bedding, or contrasting in the same colors that would be nice and would make them different but together....like http://www.pinterest.com/pin/470204017315378318/. I also like the idea of them being stained a similar color. I don't think they need to be a perfect match.

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I like an eclectic look, so I wouldn't mind two different beds. You could paint them or stain them to be the same color. I like your idea of tying them together visually by using the same bedding.

Depending on the size of the room, you could also put them head-to-head in a corner rather than side-by-side.

Another option would be to replace the headboards with one long panel.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 15:16

• User
    9 years ago

I like a balanced look. For me since the headboards are different, I would try to have everything else the same, i.e. nightstands, bedding etc. If you have the room, I would put a dresser between the two and then a night stand on the other side of the bed with matching lamps

Lucky for you to find a buyer without paying real estate fees!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

In my mind I see them in a Ralph Lauren type room. Lots of plaids and elegantly-rustic elements, as if you were in a gentleman's hunting cabin.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cute room, krelavie. Love that little dresser - I just sold one so similar, too!!!

F2B these beds are old, head board and foot boards with side rails so the headboards can't be removed and because they are different, I don't think they'd work well in a corner like that even though I always love that arrangement.

roseabbey don't congratulate me yet!! nothing in writing so it's all just talk at this point but they came knocking on our door yesterday after hearing about us through the grapevine and loved the house. No breath holding allowed! I agree about the balanced look - that's really where my head is. Damn I wish I hadn't sold that dresser now! Need to find that thread about regrets......

bbstx that's so funny about the plaid - I had green, red and navy plaid quilts for both my boys when they were young - very RL ish. Still have one but the other is MIA.

Thanks for all the suggestions - keep 'em coming and pictures, too!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It depends on the room. If the beds are side by side, the nonmatch will be very noticeable. But if you can place the headboards on different walls, then you can play with the backgrounds to make them both work individually in the same color scheme.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Several years ago, I read a blog. It was about 2 guys who had bought a cabin and were decorating it. I remember lots of plaids, elegant oil paintings, and a crystal empire chandelier. I finally googled enough permutations of "empire chandelier" and "cabin" and "plaid" to find it! See link below.

It is quite over the top and probably way out of your comfort zone but you might use the photos for inspiration. Here's a start:

Here is a link that might be useful: Russian River Dacha

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Here is another bedroom that I think could work with your mixed beds. Again, it is a room with a masculine flavor, but certainly not as over the top as the Russian River Dacha.

This bedroom was designed by James Farmer for the Atlanta Symphony Show 2013. I've attached a link to the blog post with all of the photos. It is my inspiration for one of my guest rooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: James Farmer Atlanta Symphony Showhouse

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Try bedding that is the same in style but in different colors. I would think this could work especially well like the photo above with the primary plaid colors but could also work with another primary solid color bedding or quilts and different pillows. Like green and pink or navy and khaki and then switch up the pillows on the beds. The unifying factor should be the nightstands and the lamps and then window treatments that would be of the same color with maybe a tieback or trim or the contrasting color. Use some inexpensive artwork, a rug or accessories that echo the colors.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Since the beds are different species of wood and probably different shapes (?) I would do matching bedding, matching night stands with matching lamps, or one large stand in the middle.

Oakley posted an inspiration picture a few years ago of a pretty vintage style bedroom with twin beds; I think they were black with plaid coverlets. Perhaps she still has it. I found the old post but the picture had been deleted. I know it floated around the decorating message boards quite a bit. I remember "drooling" every time they popped up somewhere.

Oakley - you are challenged - find that bedroom.