Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sholt576

Can I paint a small room chocolatey brown?

sholt576
15 years ago

I have a small bath (5x8) and right now the walls match the tiles (almost but just not quite) that are on the floor and in the shower. Its all a very pale pinkish cream. The tile color is 'vellum'. The vanity is espresso brown.

For me, the pale pinkish cream just kind of sucks the life out of me when I walk in. I need some color and some contrast. So one of my thoughts is to paint the walls chocolatey brown and hope that the tiles will take on some of the warmth of the walls and turn into more of a warm creamy color, and as a bonus, the vanity won't be the star visual attraction when you walk into the room.

But I'm nervous about painting the small room in a dark color. I've read that its okay and it doesn't make it feel like a cave. I've read that dark walls kind of disappear and make the room feel open.

Its a one gallon job, so worst case scenario, I repaint. Right?

Comments (33)

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

I painted my powder room a dark fudge color and love it! (but I love dark colors)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I love dark colors in small rooms. Makes then look rich instead of tiny.

Art pops on them also because the lighter matting stands out more.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

If you want to paint it brown, go for it. Like you said it's only a gallon of paint and you could always redo it. I have a brown entry and love it. We used Kilz paint from Wal Mart that's one coat paint. We did two coats, but I think it's because it's the first time hubby used this technique in painting and didn't quite have it down.

Once painted brown I'd add pale pink towels and accessories with just a touch of lime and I bet it would be gorgeous!

• parma42
    15 years ago

BTW, love your powder room mlraff53!

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I decided to play around with some fabric (actually a pillow case I made) and trim in mint ribbon and lime rick rack. I took a picture of both so I could show you. The mint looks a bit faded out in the pix. It look real nice in real life as did the lime.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• lindybarts
    15 years ago

I also have a dark brown Powder room. This is Restoration Hardware's Flax. It's not cavelike at all. Although I do have that window at the end, it's usually closed for privacy as this room faces the front of the house.

• sholt576
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The examples are great. Now I just need to settle on the brown that is rich enough without being too dark, and yet not too light.

The pinkish cream of my tiles has too much yellow in it to work with a nice pink/dark brown combo. I'm hoping that they'll turn into more of a basic ivory with the brown walls.

I'm longing to make a trip to RH for some samples, but road construction between here and there is making the trip quite long these days.

• tinker1121
    15 years ago

I just painted a 9 x 12 room with Valspar paint from Lowes in a color called Milk Chocolate. Very nice medium brown that stays true. Have white trim, cream carpet and furniture and looks yummy and rich.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I had my bathroom painted in a rich chocolate brown with white ceiling, moldings, and with a big white antique cabinet. I love it!

I have a SMALL bathroom but with very high ceilings. But even with low ceilings it should look fabulous. I was amazed at how much I liked it. I bet you will too.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

I feel painting the ceiling the same color keeps the room from closing in. Painted a different color brings attention to the contrast creating the drawstring closing in feeling. All the same color with art or pictures or displays of what you love will draw the eye to your focal points rather than the tile or ceiling. My bedroom is "all" Midnight Blue so the boundarys vanish and the eye goes right to my seascape and surf art. Like infinity around your art. Do you have good wall space and art you aboslutely Love to pick the color from?
    Ps, I also have Citron Fedora chocolat wall with a crystal sconce.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Midnight Blue, sounds good looking bondica!

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

I painted my 3/4 guest bath a while back. It has 10 foot ceilings. I still have a picture of it from before I re-painted :)

• User
    15 years ago

I always liked this Showhouse bathroom w/chocolate walls.

Jim

• demifloyd
    15 years ago

This study is small and has chocolate brown walls, ceilings, and the built in cabinets are painted the same color. It's cozy.

• judithva
    15 years ago

These photos are taken of a bathroom from a Home Show I attended.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

That is exactly the color of my bathroom (can't remember the name) I think I bought it at HD. But my shower is not that nice, no way. Judithva that looks like a large bathroom, no? It's lovely, and it does look nice in a small bathroom too.

I am going to learn to put photo's on here.

Sammi2 do it, you can always repaint.

....Jane

• judithva
    15 years ago

Jane, yes that is a fairly large bathroom, my main reason to post this example is because they did use a very intense dk brown, but only had 1 small window in the room (so not that much natural light), and they accented it with alot of white trim, white ceiling, sink, tub, lighting fixture tulip shaped glass globes, and using the shiny silver/chrome metals to add sparkle, so I was just hoping to give some "food for thought" so to speak. :)

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

It looks good Judith and your point is taken. I also have just a small window in my bathroom. And lots of chrome as well. I think sammi will like it too.

• sholt576
    Original Author
    15 years ago

After seeing the pics in this thread, I'm totally sold on brown.

• sholt576
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just wanted to post an update. It's nearly complete. I put in recessed lighting, crown molding, a toilet that works, a small mirror (as opposed to the 5ft long panel mirror), a white 6 panel door (as opposed to the brown luan door) and brown paint (BM Davenport Tan for walls, Manchester Tan for ceiling, White Dove for trim and door). I love the way it turned out. There was no budget to replace the vanity since it is not a standard size and replacing it would leave a different footprint on the tile floor, but now it blends in and works with the room.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

sammi that looks fabulous!!!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Very nice color and great job!

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Nice choice!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Sammi, you did good!

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

Sammi, that looks so good. I love the color and that mirror is so nice.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

I say absolutely GO FOR IT! I love the pics of chocolate shown here, they are gorgeous! I have a small powder room with no windows painted in raspberry truffle, a very dark red color and I really like it. I agree with parma, I think it makes small rooms look rich, not small. You know, it's like some "rules" want people to be in denial and not ADMIT it's a small room (when we all know it anyway!) so why not make it as interesting as you can?

• User
    15 years ago

Wow dont know how I missed this thread as I too have a pinkish cream powder room and keep thinking about what I could do to lessen the pinkness. I have thought about painting it a tan-brown but now seeing yours, I am motivated!! Can you possibly post pix of your tile? I think I have to go get some davenport and try it out.... needless to say- it looks great and thanks for the follow up. I love a happy ending.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Just perfect! Love the color, lighting, mirror and how beautiful the vanity top and the shell print compliment each other. Your room is fabulous, very well done! Specifically, how do you like the ceiling now, and how would you discribe the feeling compared to white?
    Ps. The way you did your lighting is brilliant!

• sholt576
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Superchick- I agree, some rules seem to be about being in denial that a room is small. The truth is, there is no hiding the fact that this room is small. Wall color is not going to make 5' x 8' suddenly feel spacious.

bodica- The way the shadows play of the different planes in the room, its hard to tell that the ceiling isn't white. I thought the contrast with the white crown would make it more apparent, but it really is subtle and just adds to the overall cozy feel of the room without making a direct statement. I included another picture that shows more of the ceiling.

sheilaaus: the tile color always looks better in the photos than it does up close and personal. But its about the same color as the sink, which kind of comes across in the pics as some kind of pinkish creamish color. The dark brown walls really help the tile since it picks up and reflect that darker color. Now I actually kind of like it.

• craftymeca
    15 years ago

We recently painted our guest bathroom a milk chocolate . I had white vanity and trim as well as white tiles in tub area. I love the way it looks, and I added terracotta and cream towels.

I was looking at the same picture you have for my bath as well. Good job.

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

I painted my hall bath chocolate after a flood forced us to do a budget (think cheap) reno. The color of the tub and toilet (1960's brownish pink) didn't leave us much choice as to color.

• User
    15 years ago

I really love what you did with the bathroom. It looks wonderful. I have a large room painted chocolate so it doesn't apply here except that I LOVE chocolate rooms. c