Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bedroom ceiling fan making clicking noise, what to do?

Posted by shelly2 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 9:55

I purchased a ceiling fan at Home Depot, electrician installed it yesterday morning. My DD told us now that it has a clicking sound that you don't hear at the beginning but becomes apparent as the fan picks up speed.
Is the sound caused by an installation error or is it something to do with the fan? I believe the clicking is caused by the fan vibrating and if so, what can be done about that. Any info would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bedroom ceiling fan making clicking noise, what to do?

If it's got any pull-chains for the fan speed and/or the light, that could be bumping and clicking.

o

What's the brand? I would call the 800# of the manufacturer and try to get customer service. Older fans often click when they need oil, but I wouldn't think this is your case.

My DM has a fan that doesn't run as quiet on high speed, but she accepts it since it's an inexpensive fan. Plus, it's in a room she rarely uses!

o

It could be unlevel.

o

It's not the pull chain as we held it as the fan was moving and there is no difference in the clicking sound.

o

Yep, I'm with brutuses. It's probably out of balance. And that would be a problem with instalation. I've installed many fans before, but always double check the balance or you'll hear the clicking.

I would first check to make sure it's not the chains though. They can make a sound when the fan is on high from the breeze blowing on them. But then again, that too can be caused by being a bit off balanced.

Call your electrician and ask him to stop by to see what's up. It's his responcibilty to make it right.

o

I had the same problem and it was exactly as gayle said, it was the darn pull-chains knocking against the fan housing! I used a tiny bit of museum wax to stick the chain to the fan housing, no more click-click-click.

If the fan's really shaking a lot once it gets going, it probably isn't supported well enough. This is common when a conventional overhead light is replaced by a ceiling fan. Take the fan down, disconnect and remove the electrical box, and insert a retrofit brace like this one, available at any hardware store or home center. It slides right into the hole, very easy to install. Then electrician puts wires back into box and puts ceiling fan back up. Should take less than 30 minutes unless your electrician is a total yutz. ;-)

Oh, and a P.S. - if the fan has a light kit, the bulbs will last a lot longer if you use the special ceiling fan bulbs. They are made to better withstand the fan's vibration, which weakens the filaments in regular bulbs. They're also smaller, which looks far more attractive in kits with downlights.

o

When ours starts making noise, my DH checks to see if the blades need leveling, since checking the pull chain is pretty easy and can be eliminated as the problem quickly. One fan in our house simply needed to be replaced, since it was a cheap one and wasn't worth having. Check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Most family handymen can do this fix

o

oops. I must have been writing when you were. I'd contact the guy that installed it or the store you purchased it from if you arranged the install through them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here