Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammyw_gw

Good chairs to go with a trestle table?

tammyw
9 years ago

We are having a trestle table made for us in a light colored pecan wood. It will be similar to this table only in a lighter color:

http://www.custommade.com/walnut-trestle-table/by/studio144/#

We are trying to figure out what chairs we can buy to pair with it. What is a good style for this table? We don't want metal chairs (too cold), fabric (too difficult to keep clean with children), or wicker (food getting stuck in the weave). We currently have black accents in our open layout house (and black bar stools at our island). Would it be best to go with black painted chairs again? Something else?

Here is a picture of our current table (too small) in our space. It's a mess, because it was right after we first moved in:

http://s955.photobucket.com/user/tammywahl/media/kitchen4_zps996ce473.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

I appreciate any ideas!

Comments (4)

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

What a beautiful table! Love that site - will have to look for ideas for a round or oval table in my eat in kitchen.

I like the black chairs in your space and painted chairs would look nice with the table, but since you have black counter chairs right behind the dining table it might be nice to use a different color.

I think a wood chair would also look nice if the finish was more matte rather than shiny and polished. I have the RH salvaged wood trestle table in reclaimed pine and used Rachel Ashwell side chairs. I think they're a washed oak or ash and they have linen slips just on the seat. My slipcovered head and foot arm chairs were custom made at Calico Corners, but I've seen similar chairs at other places, like PB, Crate and Barrel and West Elm.

The slips on all the chairs are really easy to wash and protect the upholstery underneath. I like the light contrast against the wood.

Rachel Ashwell side chairs (during construction before floors):

Head and foot arm chairs (during and after construction):

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 10:58

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Omigosh, keep your chairs! They'll be beautiful with that trestle table. They're a classic design that's not going to be out of style, probably ever.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

My husband built a trestle table and we just put Chocolate faux leather parson chairs with it on one side and he built a storage bench that we painted to match the wall because we needed the table to be closer to the wall.

Our table is Espresso(dark chocolate) satin painted base and the top is stained with Espresso. (Brown black)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Do you have to have those bar chairs/stools? I would keep the chairs that you have now and get the table. I think I would go with a saddle seat at the bar. Aside from that, put a bench on that side of the table, so the backs of the chairs will not fight with the bar chairs and put the chairs you have now on the ends and side next to the sofa. Or, you could get new bar stools/chairs, use the chairs you have now on the sides and get upholstered or slip covered wing chairs for the heads of the table.