Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flymom65

Finished painting and now need to choose . . .

flymom65
11 years ago

Painted the room the creme puff color yesterday. Pics to follow. It made such a difference! Thank you all so much for guiding me in the right direction! It really warmed the room! I call it my "happy room" and the DH "library inspired" masculine livingroom is now the "doom and gloom" room, lol! Since I have the Audubon pictures on the wall, I was thinking perhaps I could use wall lamps on either side of the couch. That would free up room on the tables, which are small due to the small size of the room. Here are a few pics of those that I found. Which do you guys prefer--or am I way off base again?

Comments (24)

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I'm a big fan of wall lamps for this sort of arrangement. Very useful, keeps the table tops clear, you can't knock them over, you can move them about to suit you, and they also help anchor the arrangement on the wall.

Two things -

I'd recommend ones with creamy white fabric shades. For that kind of lighting beside where you sit, you will be unhappy with bare bulbs, or any configuration where you see the bulb itself.

Creamy white, because any other color will color the light, and after your careful color choosing, you don't want to make it dingy, or otherwise affect the colors - you want the benefit of clear ambient light.

And take care not to hang them too high. You shouldn't be able to see the bulb base or the bulb when you are sitting there.

My rule of thumb for normal height seating is that the bottom of the shade should land between 42" and 45" off the floor, depending on the design of the fixture.

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your help, bronwynsmom. I did find this candle sconce that I just LOVE, but not sure if it would work. I know it won't help with lighting. I would hve to find another was to bring light into the room. This is a very bright room, though. Would only need light after dark.

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New paint color. The picture does not do it justice. It really warms up, especially when the afternoon sun comes in! It actually is the same color that is used in the top three pictures in the sky!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Doesn't that look lovely! You must be so pleased. Good job, you!

Now. Think of the candle sconce as a mad crush on the wrong boy.
    You have to marry these lamps...and as we all know, love is a necessary but not sufficient condition for happiness.

So they DO need to help with, or even take the lead in, lighting.
    And after dark is when you want really good lighting.

I know you know this. Your head is just turned by infatuation. This kind of passion is what causes most of the design mistakes we all make, but editing with a cool head is key.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Bronwynsmom, I always love reading and thinking about your posts! Flymom, I like the softness of the bottom left fixture you posted. The rounded edges make it look friendly. The third one from the top, while attractive, looks too formal to me -- like you'd have to sit up straight in its presence.

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bronwynsmom, I love your analogies! You are right, though, and I have been looking all afternoon online for the wall lamps. Such a difficult decision!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

You're both too kind.

I've trolled one site with whom I've had some experience ordering, and posted four for you to look at. I particularly like the last two, which have that nice vertical presence on the wall.

Still unable to use my Flickr page, and I'll start over when I have time, but perhaps you can pull them down and post them? Sorry to make work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four possible wall lamps

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention that I love the new paint color!

• yayagal
    11 years ago

What a difference the proper paint does for a room, now it's cozy comfy. I prefer the last lamp on the left side of the column. The light shade will blend well with the sofa, it's all looking wonderful. You must be happy.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

I also like the bottom left lamps among your choices. Can I ask where you found it? It would be perfect in my bedroom.

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bronwynsmon, I do mind doing some work at all! Unfortunately, I could not access the pictures. (Need a sad face icon, lol!) saypoint, the lamp link was from bellacor. I did see it on several other sites during my search. It is a lovely lamp.

http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/visual-comfort-and-company-sl2920hab-l-swing-arm-wall-lamp-with-linen-shade-31344.htm

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I have settled my Flickr problem, so here they are!
    Sorry they are so huge...

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bronwynsmom, that should have read I DO NOT mind doing some work. I guess I should proof before I hit that submit button! Love them all!

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

May I ask where you found the 2nd, 4th, and 5th ones?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I like the 3rd one Bronwynsmom posted...it has more of a casual relaxed nature. I wouldn't want anything too formal for the space....

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

All of them are available from Lamps Plus. Here's all of them:

#1 Ivory Square Shade Brass Beaded Plug-In Style Swing Arm Wall Lamp Style # 77426-23875

#2 Robert Abbey Koleman Brass Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp Style # U2414

#3 - Brass Star of the Show Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp Style # 39864

#4 - Brass Scroll And Shade Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp (65023)

#5 - Antique Brass Acorn Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Lamp Style # 65210

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamps Plus wall lamps

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Without looking at prices (which would be a major decision point for me), I'm especially fond of the first two posted by bronwynsmom. #1 seems of cheerful. #2 seems soft.

• les917
    11 years ago

Flymom, I love the first one you posted - I think the texture on the shade would be a nice addition to the room.

I also like the last adjustable height one that bronwynsmom posted.

• Jennydotz
    11 years ago

Paint looks great! I also love wall lamps (hate to waste table space). I don't hate any of the ones posted, but I am partial to brushed metals over shiny gold in most situations, just my 2 cents.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Gorgeous paint. Is it Cream Puff by Behr? I love the first lamp you posted, but maybe with a white lamp shade (although I REALLY like the color/texture, but not if it changes your paint color as bronwynsmom says).

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it is cream puff by Behr. Really love the color!

• ttodd
    11 years ago

Flymom - not to highjack your thread, but, I was wondering where the 3rd one down (the double sconce w/ shade) is from? I love it.

I have lampshades like the ones in the very 1st pic that you posted and I absolutely love them! Sheer but not too sheer.

• flymom65
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TheFoxesPad, the third one down was from Bellacor. I am stil struggling. It seems the brass and antique brass lamps are so much more expensive than the brushed nickel. Like three times as much! I love the antique brass but I am beginning to think for the price, I may have to choose another finish.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Flymom, I know we all have budget constraints, but lamps are worth a little extra to get good ones. Anything of real quality under $175-200 is very hard to find. I'm constantly nagging everyone to spend a little more on two things that they want to cheap out on - light fixtures, and picture framing.

It's like buying a beautiful dress at Saks, and wearing it with junk jewelry and cheap shoes. Do it the other way 'round. A black T-shirt dress from Marshall's and shoes from Saks with one really good gold bracelet is far better. Think of those lamps as the good gold bracelet.